Good News/Bad News

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
My daughter tried out for Ga Tech's cheerleading squad this weekend. She just found out that she made the team! I have visions of attending many games at Bobby Dodd Stadium this upcoming season.

Now for the bad news - she still hasn't been accepted yet. The squad lets you try out as long as you are on the waiting list.

If ANYONE has any pull with the admissions dept., please PM me. My daughter is a high school senior, but she is also about to graduate with any Associates degree. She has taken all of the first two years of engineering schoolwork with the exception of Statics and Dynamics. It is her dream to attend our fine institute and cheer on the boys on Saturday. Every father believes their daughter is a princess, but she really is a young girl that would make any father proud.

This is a picture of her with the new squad taken today.

IMG_5903.jpg

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no pull personally. But I certainly do congratulate you on raising a fine young woman there who wants to cheer on the brave & bold!
Best wishes to you & your daughter.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Gratz to her and good luck. She has a lot going for her obviously. Hope that hard work gets rewarded. I assume the squad has a coach. I recommend contacting the coach for info / assistance on acceptance from waiting list. I'd assume extra curriculars would be looked upon kindly by admissions.

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
Transferring in from another university is easily possible if she is not admitted and still wants to go Tech. Just need to have good grades and take some good classes to demonstrate she likely succeed at Tech.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard waiting list letters went out last week. Did she get in?

**crosses fingers and hopes so**

Unfortunately bad news. She was given conditional acceptance for the 2015 school year. That is if she maintains a certain GPA and takes at least 30 hours. Problem is she has already taken 60 hours. She is graduating with an associates degree at the same time she graduates high school. She has taken all three calcs, diff. eq., linear algebra, both chemistry classes, and both calc based phys. By the time 2015 rolls around she will be a senior and there will be no need to go the GT.

Her GPA is a 3.75 with those 60 hours. She is only 18. She has done all this while lettering in the competition cheerleading squad for four years, cross country for one year, and track for one year. We are going to try and set up a meeting with admissions at GT, but we have already been warned by the Jr. college she has been attending the last two years that it will probably be a futile exercise.

By the way the jr. college (Middle Ga) has been transferring kids into Tech for over 50 years, so it is not a problem with her coursework not being accepted. Her SAT simply wasn't up to GT standards, and they had several thousand kids apply for the fall semester.

I am deeply depressed. Her only options are to major in EE at UGA or Ga Southern. She has been accepted to both.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately bad news. She was given conditional acceptance for the 2015 school year. That is if she maintains a certain GPA and takes at least 30 hours. Problem is she has already taken 60 hours. She is graduating with an associates degree at the same time she graduates high school. She has taken all three calcs, diff. eq., linear algebra, both chemistry classes, and both calc based phys. By the time 2015 rolls around she will be a senior and there will be no need to go the GT.

Her GPA is a 3.75 with those 60 hours. She is only 18. She has done all this while lettering in the competition cheerleading squad for four years, cross country for one year, and track for one year. We are going to try and set up a meeting with admissions at GT, but we have already been warned by the Jr. college she has been attending the last two years that it will probably be a futile exercise.

By the way the jr. college (Middle Ga) has been transferring kids into Tech for over 50 years, so it is not a problem with her coursework not being accepted. Her SAT simply wasn't up to GT standards, and they had several thousand kids apply for the fall semester.

I am deeply depressed. Her only options are to major in EE at UGA or Ga Southern. She has been accepted to both.

I just can't believe that! All she's accomplished with her schooling, extra curricular activities........................damn just damn...............I hate that for her!!!!!!!!

LibertyTurns

Banned
Feel your pain. My daughter could get into GT but refuses to apply. Been dreaming of her on the sidelines since she was a baby. She's drop dead gorgeous, a state champ gymnast until she packed it in for full time cheerleading, and smart. Next year I'll be watching her on the sidelines of some factory school and have to watch GT on this damn iPhone for the next 4 years. It will be my luck that GT goes on a tear and has the best 4 yr stretch since Dodd.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen nicer looking cheerleaders on the saint Mary's school for the socially rejected. Some real dogs on there.

Just kidding. Good luck!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
SAT ACT are utilized by admissions to help determine a students potential to succeed in college. There are other ways for admissions to gauge this and I believe she has done so remarkably. I know Tech admits the cream of the crop but I doubt many of her contemporaries simply outshine her accomplishments. Still wishing y'all luck.