Good ESPN Article About Our (Mediocre) Offense

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see where the article was specifically about our offense, except for losing our top 3 rushers. He commented on Laskey not being a proven commodity, which I disagree with, and talked about losing Thomas and Attaochu on defense too. I think your OP title is misleading unless you are tying the underperformance as a team the past 3 years to the offense (which is a "yes and no" answer for me).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn't see where the article was specifically about our offense, except for losing our top 3 rushers. He commented on Laskey not being a proven commodity, which I disagree with, and talked about losing Thomas and Attaochu on defense too. I think your OP title is misleading unless you are tying the underperformance as a team the past 3 years to the offense (which is a "yes and no" answer for me).

True, I read the title as offense rather than offseason. Most of the article is about the offensive questions we have - since there are more there with our leading rushers and QB gone. And our leading pass receiver (Godhigh) is gone in addition to losing his rushing ability.

I actually agree that before last year it was our D that was the weaker unit. But the O was a close second two years ago. It's the degedation of the O that probably make me worry about them more than the D (or ST) this year. When looking at total yards a game, we've gone from 18th in 2011 to 35th in 2012 and finally 44th in 2013. And that degraded O performance was with a better D and ST.

So the title was a Freudian error. {Gotta blame some one else (tic).}

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The article could have been written about just about any of Coach's teams except 2010. That one had a lot coming back on the O side and is a good example of why most of the stuff written about our O is crud.

As I've said here before, we are at the stage on O where we don't rebuild, we reload. We have been among the top 5 rushing teams in the country year in, year out since 2008 (until we missed it by .5 ypg last year) and it hasn't much mattered who we had coming back or who we had at QB. So I'll make a prediction right now: we'll be in the top 5 in rushing nationally, we'll lead the ACC in rushing, we'll be close to the top in the ACC in TDs scored, and we'll average about 35 points a game. Or, to put it another way, we'll be just about "average".

If the article was more about the D, then Hale would be more on track. There we have real doubts and real gaps to fill. If we can do that, I don't have any doubt that we'll be challenging for the division championship.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Like 2013, because of the unknowns on Offense, I have some concerns for next year. I think 2008, the end of 2010 and 2013 showed less effective QB play because those guys were all sophomores. In 2014, we'll have another sophomore leading the team at QB. History (recent) has shown that the QB play has improved with experience at the position. We don't have a clear playmaker at AB or BB this year headed into the Spring, but neither did we last year. We have more questions about the O-Line this year than last , but with the injuries last year, we probably won't be any worse off, maybe better.

So, I think we'll probably be the same offensively this upcoming year, maybe better. ST should be as good as well. To me, the Defense is going to be the make-or-break group for 2014. I think that the players will emerge, like most years. Underclassmen or 2nd stringers will grow up and into the roles that are necessary. It doesn't always happen, but most of the time it does. It would be nice to have some play makers develop.

BTW: I think most people equate CPJ with his offense; so, when there's question about his teams, the questions tend to center around the offensive side of the ball.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We disagree. If Vad were that bad, then JT should have played a lot more. If JT wasn't as good as Vad, then I'm supposed to think we are going to be a lot better this year?
It wasn't that he was that bad, he just wasn't committed and therefore his performance suffered. It's a balancing act a coach plays in that situation. You have a guy with loads of potential that could be a star if he just buys in 100%. How do you know when to cut bait?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
+1 DCS. I really think Vad had tons of talent. But he never bought in to the system. I was worried about this heading into last year. Everytime Vad was quoted about our offense in the preseason all he would talk about with enthusiasm was the pistol etc. being put in. When the going got rough he didn't get tough. Now he is the starting QB at a new school and I wish him well. I'm focused on the guys who stayed though and wish them even better :)

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
True, I read the title as offense rather than offseason. Most of the article is about the offensive questions we have - since there are more there with our leading rushers and QB gone. And our leading pass receiver (Godhigh) is gone in addition to losing his rushing ability.

I actually agree that before last year it was our D that was the weaker unit. But the O was a close second two years ago. It's the degedation of the O that probably make me worry about them more than the D (or ST) this year. When looking at total yards a game, we've gone from 18th in 2011 to 35th in 2012 and finally 44th in 2013. And that degraded O performance was with a better D and ST.

So the title was a Freudian error. {Gotta blame some one else (tic).}

I went back and looked at the stats from games we lost last year, and concluded that the losses were a team-effort. Opponents had far fewer 3rd down situations than GT so that's a defense issue. Passing and turnovers were dismal and that's an offensive issue. ST even gave up 85 yards on kick returns vs BYU.

I realize PJ's offense gets the blame first due to its originality, but this team needs to improve in ALL facets of the game.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't think people are willing to admit the flaw in the offense, even when with the evidence staring them in the face.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think people are willing to admit the flaw in the offense, even when with the evidence staring them in the face.

You post this right below my post, which talks about the passing game and turnovers being dismal.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vad did not perform and the OL did not perform. Vad had to do the double option. The OL was playing injured and playing out of position. Perhaps Vad could have passed better given more confidence in the OL, which did not inspire confidence.

2013 was not a good year for the O and it was less system and more execution.

I will say that if anything is figured out about our O is how to hide the read of the BB/QB take. Many times they "show" a BB take only to let him go and hit the QB.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will say that if anything is figured out about our O is how to hide the read of the BB/QB take. Many times they "show" a BB take only to let him go and hit the QB.

I think teams began doing this a lot more with TW and VL at QB because they could get away with it. Neither had the quickness or acceleration to make a team pay for this. JN could just bull his way through this technique, and I think JT will torch some people if they do this. If the mesh read is the guy who is supposed to take the QB, and teams want to have him fake a BB take, JT will be gone before he can change directions and go after the QB!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
My recollection is that in 2010, the primary problem was our absolutely awful Special Teams. Missed field goals, short punts, fumbled kicks, opponents' kick returners running wild. Do you remember just how bad it was? The secondary problem was a defense trying to learn the 3-4. With a porous defense, stink-tastic special teams, and Nesbitt getting hurt in mid season, how in hell did we win 7 games after losing to Kansas? Somebody must have been doing something right on offense even with Dwyer and Thomas leaving early for the NFL.

In 2011 ST, even with the addition of a ST coach, managed to improve from hellacious to merely soul-killing. How many times did the offense try and fail on 4th down in enemy territory when even an average FG kicker would have gotten us three points. Remember the missed field goals against Utah and we lost in OT? Short kickoffs. Other teams average starting field position was mid-field while ours was inside the 15. The defense showed little improvement, and in the game that decided the Coastal, when our offense went toe-to-toe with VT's defense and was battering them into submission, was breaking their will, was driving the ball down their turkey throats, a defensive brain fart by JA swung that game away maybe like no single play I have ever seen swing a game. Still somehow we won 7 games and wound up tied for the Coastal. I would credit the offense for what success we had.

In 2012, the ST improved from soul-killing to flesh eating. Remember Orwin's brain fart that resulted in a safety on a kickoff against Miami? But Golden started running back kicks and punts, and kicking also began to improve and ST was actually a small plus by the end of the year. But the defense assumed the role of soul-killer. The defense gave up 40+ in three straight games; first time ever for a Tech team. Somehow we wound up in the Championship game and with an improving defense after Groh's firing, had a chance to beat FSU, and did beat USC. The offense was at about the level of the previous two years.

In 2013, on ST we found a kicker, lost a returner, but managed at least to be neutral in most games and not a negative. Defense began to show. The offense that we expected to take a big step up, stayed about where it had been previously. With improved offensive play, we win VT. With one more first down at the end of regulation against the dwags, Butker has a chance at immortality.

Based on this rambling feeble analysis, I would expect the offense to be about where it has been for the last 4 years regardless of who's on it. And that goes for next year also. We may have plateaued offensively, but on a relatively high one. Teams are better able to handle our TO, but it still hurts them if they don't play it extremely well. It should be good enough to win us 7 games almost every year. The question is can the defense, special teams, and lady luck (she has been not a lady but a w***e for much of the last 4 years) step up enough to add 2 or 3 wins to that total? A healthy Golden and a stronger Butker leg might well get us a win in some game. When the defense takes on Roof's personality (and it will at some point) that should get us to the 9+ level. Lady luck (if she'll ever get her sorry butt out of Auburn and decide she might like a trip to Hotlanta) will decide if we get that magical season. Go get 'em Ted. We're counting on you.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
My recollection is that in 2010, the primary problem was our absolutely awful Special Teams. Missed field goals, short punts, fumbled kicks, opponents' kick returners running wild. Do you remember just how bad it was? The secondary problem was a defense trying to learn the 3-4. With a porous defense, stink-tastic special teams, and Nesbitt getting hurt in mid season, how in hell did we win 7 games after losing to Kansas? Somebody must have been doing something right on offense even with Dwyer and Thomas leaving early for the NFL.

That was the first year I was actually a GT fan and I could not believe how awful the special teams were outside of Scott Blair. I mean everyone talks about the bowl game that year and how the offense only scored 7 points on Air Force but no one mentions that the offense completely lost two possessions because the returner muffed back to back punts. Granted he was the back-up pressed into service but man come on.