Good Article on VT's defense vs. OSU. Defense is aimed at run-heavy QB's

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Here it is

"Essentially, it consists of a nose guard, two three-techniques and two edge players, with the ability to bring pressure from linebackers or a safety playing closer to the line of scrimmage. The system relies on talented defensive backs who can play man-to-man coverage, and a relentless rush."

and

"We wanted him to stay in the pocket as much as possible, make him beat us throwing the ball," said Virginia Tech senior rover Kyshoen Jarrett, who had two interceptions in the game. "You always want to make a team one-dimensional. … We have some of the best DBs. We could pretty much put everyone on an island and allow our great front seven to get after the QB as much as possible."

Hope CPJ has some tricks to defeat this. I like our receivers but our pass protection is going to have issues with 7 man blitzes. Really hope JT can make them pay with some passes.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
We have seen Foster get better at coaching his option defense each year. The last few losses it felt like their defense gave GT trouble, we still got points, but our self-defeating mistakes compounded and wiped game winning points off the board...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have a hard time blocking stunting and blitzing defenses. I have no idea why.

As I recall, we couldn't block the VT linemen mano a mano . They blew up their opposing OL man and prevented lateral movement on many plays.

We are going to have to become a mediocre passing team to beat VT. That's all it will take; VTs DBs often had no idea where the ball was when it was in the air against Ohio State. But the throws were inaccurate and the refs didn't call several of the defensive interference plays where the DBs ran into the Ohio State players. But we'll have to pass for the entire game and continue to score points; I don't think 28 will win this one. I can't remember a game where we passed successfully the entire game. There have been games where we passed successfully for a quarter or two, got ahead and then tried to establish the running game to eat clock.

Before I give up on the VT game, we do need to see the ECU game. I give their QB a 15-20% chance of being injured in that game if he plays the way he did against Ohio State. Plus ECU should have their desired starting QB.

usherfeaster

Georgia Tech Fan
Nothing new. You can't beat good defenses being one dimensional. Beating the big 4 will be rarely until we can be effective passing.

Like the last few years, Foster will have 9+ guys run blitzing until we make them pay for it.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Their defense can blitz all they want but CPJ can also call a QB draw play that should mean lots of room to run. In past years, the draw play may have developed too slowly but that won't be the case this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We need to run that defense with a heavier blitz emphasis to get our offense back on field ( wear out the opp def) and to try to create turnovers ( field position). With this high energy high risk reward defense - athletes that will make difference day one and will leave for NFL in senior year will be easier to recruit.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Having a more balanced attack is another way to defeat a blitz heavy defense. Are we better at passing? Not saying we should be passing all the time but are we better at it than we were last year? After two games it is real hard to tell, and this 3rd game might not be helpful in figuring that out.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know we don't see this very often, but some trick plays (like rocket toss into a pass play maybe with Synjyn or other) could help slow down some of this. But honestly, I have no idea how we will move the ball without passing successfully, if last year's game is any indication of how this game will go.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
that alignment is a classic 3-4 look vs option teams. This is nothing new. Good players will beat bad players all day and that is what happened to overrated OSU

VT DL ate up their OL and their WR were not too great.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree with @GTNavyNuke . I saw the exact same thing with VT's secondary.

They practically invited VT to pass the ball with single coverage on the outside relying on their perceived superior DBs versus OSU's WRs. The problem with that was, VT's DBs were actually getting beat but VT's blitz was so good it affected OSU's QB's ability to deliver the ball down the field. A more seasoned and more accurate QB would have toasted that secondary and made VT pay for playing so aggresively against the run.

Unfortunately, VT's gameplan against teams like us plays directly against our weaknesses (IMO). We're not very good at pass blocking, and we have a young QB who's downfield passing ability is questionable right now.

The one thing I think we have an advantage against VT that OSU didn't have: Smelter. On some of those passes that hung in the air a half second too much and let the VT DB back into the play, Smelter would have easily beaten VT's DBs to make the play. That I am confident of. I would like to say having a 6'5 receiver in Waller is going to help but he has been inconsistent with using his height to beat his man on 50/50 passes. Hopefully that has improved and we'll see it against VT.

Bud Foster is a very smart coach. He's going to bring numbers and apply pressure, much like last year, until we prove we can stop it. It's going to be an interesting game of chess between him and CPJ because I don't think there's any secrets between the two after 6 games and all those tapes floating around. The question is who will have their players better prepared....last year it was Bud Foster.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This year Paul has weapons he usually doesn't. He has three very good wide receivers, with two of them both big and fast. He has a quarterback with a quick release who can throw with accuracy. He also has a quarterback who roll out and still throw it well. And a quarterback who has the speed and quickness to turn a little defensive mistake into a touchdown. My concern remains do we have any chance of stopping them? Or at least getting more stops than they do.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Turkies play OSU. Not one of their WRs made a block all night. The VT CBs and LBs simply attacked up field and ran right pass them, catching them flatfooted. Further, since OSU runs a spread option, almost all of their plays to the outside were a) double options and b) had no lead blockers set up to make the plays. Everything to the outside took eons to materialize too, something you simply can't do with their Ds. Like I said before, I bet Bud's post game speech went like this, "Ok, that was easy since they didn't know how to block the edge. Georgia Tech won't be like that!"

And he'll be right. Our edge blocking has been good so far. The real question will be how well we handle the dive. Further, while the OSU WRs were largely unsuccessful against VT, I doubt that that'll be the case with us. I agree with Techster on this: Smelter would have eaten those CBs alive. And by the time we play them Waller will be back in the equation as well. Then it will be brutes against normal people.

Sooooo … we win easy, right? No. In fact, winning up there will be a real stretch, unless the D brings its A+ game. But we could win; Foster is no magician and we have always given his Ds fits, as he freely admits.

But first things first. Let's beat those pesky Eagles, then start thinking about the Turkies.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The game will fall on JT. The pass pro probably won't be great but he'll have to make smart decisions and not throw a pick off his back foot. As long as the ball is reasonably accurate, our receivers will make the play. If the WR's are making plays on the outside, Zenon will be open in the middle. I don't see us being able to run period unless we start beating them in the air to draw those safeties out,

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Pretty sure VT will beat ECU in competitive game. Think we will then spank an overconfident VT team. Really like our chances.
I think the play of our DEs will be very important to the outcome.

Techfan591988

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with @GTNavyNuke . I saw the exact same thing with VT's secondary.

They practically invited VT to pass the ball with single coverage on the outside relying on their perceived superior DBs versus OSU's WRs. The problem with that was, VT's DBs were actually getting beat but VT's blitz was so good it affected OSU's QB's ability to deliver the ball down the field. A more seasoned and more accurate QB would have toasted that secondary and made VT pay for playing so aggresively against the run.

Unfortunately, VT's gameplan against teams like us plays directly against our weaknesses (IMO). We're not very good at pass blocking, and we have a young QB who's downfield passing ability is questionable right now.

The one thing I think we have an advantage against VT that OSU didn't have: Smelter. On some of those passes that hung in the air a half second too much and let the VT DB back into the play, Smelter would have easily beaten VT's DBs to make the play. That I am confident of. I would like to say having a 6'5 receiver in Waller is going to help but he has been inconsistent with using his height to beat his man on 50/50 passes. Hopefully that has improved and we'll see it against VT.

Virginia Tech literally has the best secondary in the country though. Kendall Fuller is absolutely a lock for a first round NFL pick, Brandon Facyson is a monster (he hasn't been healthy this year yet apparently) and both safeties are very experienced seniors. Jarrett (the rover/strong safety) is one of the best tackling safeties in the country.

If the game plan is to hope that Smelter can win jump ball after jump ball... that's just not a winning proposition. Foster left his corners on an island not because he didn't think they'd get beat, but because he gambled that his pressure would get there before his players could get beat. His gamble paid off more often than naught.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
In the past, we've allowed VPI to eat us up inside, and still defend the edge with numbers. The only way that was possible is because we were slow. This year, our offense moves the ball around fast. I believe we will get to the edge all year against every team we play including VPI.

/