Good Actions by UGAg To Dismiss Sasser

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Serious "generic" question (i.e. try to remove any UGA-bias). It is reprehensible we still have people (particularly young people who theoretically should embody "progress") who are unable to see/understand the awfulness of racism in our culture and/or control themselves. We should strive to make racism the polio of "social diseases" and stamp it out. How to do that? How would you guys feel if the coach (or school leadership) took a more direct intervention approach in these situations?

Obviously... I have no clue on any history with this particular player; but again generically speaking... what if the response was something like....

..this is terrible behavior and completely unacceptable. We're committed to fixing this or making an effort to; and cutting him off from the structure and control of the team makes the problem someone else's and/or may leave this young man isolated. We will get him counseling, place him into activities (community service?), etc in an effort to teach him the error of his ways. We will monitor his progress and any setback or failure to comply with the "plan" will be grounds for dismissal. He will remain a part of the team; but will not play (in games) until he demonstrates true contrition & measurable progress.

Disclaimer: I am no expert. However, it just "feels" that IF your goal is to change hearts and minds (i.e. end racism)...somebody (maybe not the team or athletic dept?) needs to actively work with these knuckleheads. They are ALL very young (and a few...stupid); and frankly, in many cases uninformed or ignorant about the real implications (past and future) of what they are doing/saying/thinking.

I HATE HATE HATE that our society/culture seems to be stuck on our progress (there has been MUCH progress in last few generations) on finally powering through and overcoming the ugliness of racism. It just seems the only "solution" offered these days is ...root out the racist ...publicly shame him/her ...then cut them off from the rest of us forever. Like I said... that doesn't "feel" right.