Golden Givers

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I have on record given 40 years to annual roll call, missing 12 years. Now I have been offered to give $50/yr for the 12 years I have missed to join Golden Givers. Im thinking about it, but the fact is I am 75 and will not ever buy season tickets again. I much prefer watching in my recliner in front of my big screen HD tv steps away from my beer and bath room, and spending the money I save on travel and golf. But I do want to support Tech athletics in some manner. So I am undecided to join Golden Givers or donate to the AT Fund. Any thoughts?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I have on record given 40 years to annual roll call, missing 12 years. Now I have been offered to give $50/yr for the 12 years I have missed to join Golden Givers. Im thinking about it, but the fact is I am 75 and will not ever buy season tickets again. I much prefer watching in my recliner in front of my big screen HD tv steps away from my beer and bath room, and spending the money I save on travel and golf. But I do want to support Tech athletics in some manner. So I am undecided to join Golden Givers or donate to the AT Fund. Any thoughts?

What kind of benefit do you get by becoming a Golden Giver that you can't also get by regularly contributing to the AT fund? I have contributed to the AT fund and/or the ticket "fund" since 1967. I only did the ticket fund from whatever year DRad started it until last year. From now own, at least as long as I purchase season tickets, I will do both.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

$600 would be a nice donation for the recent fundraising initiative for football staff.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Roll Call was always around passing the hat during Dodd’s time at Grant Field. They did not object to strong sports programs then.

When GTAA needed help, and not necessarily money, Roll Call told them to pound sand.

And when Cremins got GT to our first Final Four, there wher those at the Alumni Assn / Roll Call who were suddenly big MBB fans, despite never having attended a game.

Those tards got tickets while some true fans, ones who had attended games at AMC when there were only appx 700 people there, could not.

Alumni Assn / Roll Call are elitist scumbags that have hurt GT as much as help.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I just want to say that I think it’s awesome that you donated for 28 years. Your story inspires me to give more.

I read somewhere that the GTAA will be doing a follow-up fundraiser to the game-worn helmets which were $600. I’m not sure what they will be selling but you could possibly get something cool for the man cave / she shed. I wish I had one of those helmets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Roll Call is a worthy cause but it doesn't support the AA. Donate to the AT fund to support Athletics.
Also agree and have experienced the relationship and disparity between roll call and gtaa giving. Roll call group does little for AA sports and facilities due to their belief higher level sports does not enhance the academic reputation . They would rather compete with Stanford , CAl, etc than sports versus SEC and upper level ACC. Their belief changes in post season to require a larger quantity of ticket when we make post season play or a NC game . If you observe during these times the gt crowd in attendance appears much older than the other fan bases. I for years have given a token to roll call and much more to Gt AA. Please give what you can to the AA.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Also agree and have experienced the relationship and disparity between roll call and gtaa giving. Roll call group does little for AA sports and facilities due to their belief higher level sports does not enhance the academic reputation . They would rather compete with Stanford , CAl, etc than sports versus SEC and upper level ACC. Their belief changes in post season to require a larger quantity of ticket when we make post season play or a NC game . If you observe during these times the gt crowd in attendance appears much older than the other fan bases. I for years have given a token to roll call and much more to Gt AA. Please give what you can to the AA.
Also Also agree - The Golden Givers are part of the Alumni Association / Roll Call ( http://gtf.imodules.com/s/1481/index-1.aspx?sid=1481&gid=1&pgid=408 ) , so there's no guarantee that the full amount would go solely towards athletics. Maybe call the contact on the page's website to get a bit more info on the program (perks and such) that might be of interest, otherwise I would lean towards the AT Fund.

Deleted member 2897

@Bogey - thanks for your long term loyalty to Georgia Tech. Something we can all aspire to! My personal opinion, so take it what its worth, is that since 35% of alumni give back to Georgia Tech the Institute but only about 8% give to Athletics, I would suggest you give any available money there. I'm sure the academic folks will argue and debate me on this, but I think the Athletic department can make much better use of every penny. Georgia Tech is an elite school with a worldwide reputation. I would argue things are humming along quite well there and have been for a long time.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
What kind of benefit do you get by becoming a Golden Giver that you can't also get by regularly contributing to the AT fund? I have contributed to the AT fund and/or the ticket "fund" since 1967. I only did the ticket fund from whatever year DRad started it until last year. From now own, at least as long as I purchase season tickets, I will do both.
As far as I can tell, there is no benefit to being a Golden Giver except knowing you are a member of a group of Tech alumnae that have given over 50 consecutive years to Roll Call. Being a pragmatic engineer and not into ceremony, and after reading all the replies so far, I am leaning towards the helmet if I become eligible. If not eligible, I go with the AT.

As far as I can tell, there is no benefit to being a Golden Giver except knowing you are a member of a group of Tech alumnae that have given over 50 consecutive years to Roll Call. Being a pragmatic engineer and not into ceremony, and after reading all the replies so far, I am leaning towards the helmet if I become eligible. If not eligible, I go with the AT.
I have given both to the Alumni Association and to Tech athletics since 1967. If you are wanting to do more for athletics, then give to the AT fund. The Alumni Association gives little or nothing towards athletics and is doing pretty damn well without you making up for those 12 years of not giving to them. I say that not to put down the Alumni Association (like I said, I give to both), but your original post sounded like you wanted to give more towards athletics, so, if you have to choose, choose giving to athletics.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't dispute your sentiment but what is your source on ticket distribution for post season events? I agree that at big events (Final Four 2004) the older ages were over represented but this could be due to the proportion of high level AT Fund donors.

I don't dispute your sentiment but what is your source on ticket distribution for post season events? I agree that at big events (Final Four 2004) the older ages were over represented but this could be due to the proportion of high level AT Fund donors.
In 2004, I was 60 (don't know if that's what you consider older age or not), had only bought b'ball season tickets for 3 years, and had given to AT fund since '67 (hardly a high level donor), but easily got tickets for the Final Four. I've also never had problems getting bowl tickets or ACCG tickets.