Gold Koolaid

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Here is my gold glasses scenario: We mnimize injuries at DT and have Quez/Ace/Thomas/Tatum/Knight make a better then expected LB corps A deeper, beefier front seven becomes a strength. Like that we have some huge powerful DE (Clayton, Ivey, White) to beef up the front. This allows secondary to shine.

Cigmalia kicks well and our pro kick Australia guy has a good freshman campaign.

Meanwhile OL gives us a dependable run game and protects Sims well enough that he takes the next step in his development. Gibbs and Mason both go over 1000 yds. OL too remains unusually healthy despite mixing it up weekly with the best in CFB. McGowen has a great season, and Carter and Sanders--both of whom have shown flashes--break out.

Boom, we are suddenly a top 20 team. Further, attention to penalties and limiting turnovers pays off big time: Despite a murderous schedule we get some good bounces and calls which allow us to beat a couple of our top 10 opponents.

Hey, it could happen!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here is my gold glasses scenario: We mnimize injuries at DT and have Quez/Ace/Thomas/Tatum/Knight make a better then expected LB corps A deeper, beefier front seven becomes a strength. Like that we have some huge powerful DE (Clayton, Ivey, White) to beef up the front. This allows secondary to shine.

Cigmalia kicks well and our pro kick Australia guy has a good freshman campaign.

Meanwhile OL gives us a dependable run game and protects Sims well enough that he takes the next step in his development. Gibbs and Mason both go over 1000 yds. OL too remains unusually healthy despite mixing it up weekly with the best in CFB. McGowen has a great season, and Carter and Sanders--both of whom have shown flashes--break out.

Boom, we are suddenly a top 20 team. Further, attention to penalties and limiting turnovers pays off big time: Despite a murderous schedule we get some good bounces and calls which allow us to beat a couple of our top 10 opponents.

Hey, it could happen!
I can see it. We have plenty of pieces poised to fall into place, and combine that with a little injury luck and guys stepping up in key positions (receiver, linebacker), and we could have us a memorable season. The potential is there.

So looking at fall camp and at some of the videos on you tube after I am more encouraged. Now, we need to see it manifest on the field and game time coaching but if we can stop with penalties, that is poor coaching and discipline, be able to kick extra points and field goals, and lean on what looks to be a decent O-line and backfield, ie run the ball, this may be a better year than I first thought.

Again, we will know a lot after our first two games. We have, what I believe is one of the best set of running backs in the country. Yep I think so. If they can slow the game down for Sims and get him some confidence throws we may be able to move the ball. Move the ball and our defense gets better.

It all remains to be seen what we do, but if CDP leans on the run, 6 wins is very possible.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Hey, it could happen!
Hell Yeah man!

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll give you mine.

During practice the new kicker from Tennessee (Cimaglia) just missed a 57 yarder. Was 2 feet wide, but had the leg.

I remember watching Louisville last year, when their kickers were warming up from the 40, and ours from the 20. That is a massive handicap.

I'm also stoked that we seem to be focusing on the run. We are *loaded* at running back and if the O-line can hold up their end we should be able to impose our will.

On defense, I'm excited for an infusion of talent at linebacker. I think we have the possibility to have some studs at defensive end if we can just stop the run on early downs.

Scubapro

Banned
They had a really nice selection last year. Slight over-priced but our season tickets are quite reasonable.
In my experience all stadium drinks are over priced BUT I am happy to pony up for the privilege to drink a 420 in the stands.
I really think the D can make some noise with Knight going back to the linebacker spot and some decent talent and depth at D Tackle. Hopefully this will give the secondary a shot at some pick sixes.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Things I'm positive about:
1) Transfers on DL and LB - should be able to execute scheme more effectively with these guys.
2) Pass rush improvement - videos from camp show a level of explosiveness and focused violence that I just haven't seen previously
3) RB - self explanatory

Things that worry me:
1) LB - we did lose our best player at this position and, despite his shortcomings, he was by far and away the leader of that group. The transfer has a good skillset that increases the margin of error, but production isn't proven and there still needs to be a second LB that can be reliable.
2) TE - I'm convinced we'd be better served in 2 back sets than the production we've had from this position.
3) WR - yikes, some folks need to step up this year. At least they seem to be improving.
4) Run defense - again, yikes.
5) Speed at safety - injuries last year, yes, but our safeties have to be a step or three quicker this year.

Things I don't know how to feel about:
1) OL - yes, we add transfers. We should improve, but am I happy about improving to 85th in the country? What's success this season?
2) Sims - the consistent theme with Temple QBs with Pnode was that they were pick machines. Was that them or is that a product of coaching? I guess we'll see. We'll also see if we gain a vertical threat from him that he didn't show last year.
3) Kicking - I sure hope XPs::Collins doesn't become inbounds:: Hewitt

1) Transfers on DL and LB - should be able to execute scheme more effectively with these guys.
2) Pass rush improvement - videos from camp show a level of explosiveness and focused violence that I just haven't seen previously
3) RB - self explanatory

Things that worry me:
1) LB - we did lose our best player at this position and, despite his shortcomings, he was by far and away the leader of that group. The transfer has a good skillset that increases the margin of error, but production isn't proven and there still needs to be a second LB that can be reliable.
2) TE - I'm convinced we'd be better served in 2 back sets than the production we've had from this position.
3) WR - yikes, some folks need to step up this year. At least they seem to be improving.
5) Speed at safety - injuries last year, yes, but our safeties have to be a step or three quicker this year.

1) OL - yes, we add transfers. We should improve, but am I happy about improving to 85th in the country? What's success this season?
2) Sims - the consistent theme with Temple QBs with Pnode was that they were pick machines. Was that them or is that a product of coaching? I guess we'll see. We'll also see if we gain a vertical threat from him that he didn't show last year.
I think if we can change the offense from this shotgun spread and run the football we can get 6 wins. RB and maybe a better O line is our hope so lean on it. Then open up the play action pass. Move the ball and the defense will take care of itself. Run the offense that your players are suited to, not what you think you can run... Old coaching axiom.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
3) RB - self explanatory

Things that worry me:

At Coastal Carolina where he coached for a longer period of time his QBs had a pretty high TD/INT ratio (threw far fewer picks than TDs, and the total number of picks was pretty low so it wasn't just that they threw so many TDs that the ratio was high). I'm not saying this just to disagree with you. I'm providing another relevant data point where his QBs were quite good at protecting the ball and that was over a longer period of time than at Temple.

I didn't see anything last year that indicated to me that the INTs we threw were scheme or play-call related for the most part. I felt like they were what you'd expect to see from a true freshman QB who also had an OL that wasn't really able to protect him, a center who hadn't played the position before, and that QB had been able to rely a lot on his athleticism at the HS level. And back to the point of the thread, here's my Gold Koolaid... I fully expect we will see a different Sims this year who is more mature, better at reading defenses, and makes better decisions with the ball. I am not suggesting he'll be a finished product, yet.

One other thing is that I'm not 100% sold on CDP though I do think our offense will be better this year and if we don't see it and there aren't significant absences of key players (for whatever reason) then I'll be even less sold on him than I am now. On the other hand I am not as down on him as some others are because I think he has had an incredibly tough job to do and COVID made it even tougher.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
At Coastal Carolina where he coached for a longer period of time his QBs had a pretty high TD/INT ratio (threw far fewer picks than TDs, and the total number of picks was pretty low so it wasn't just that they threw so many TDs that the ratio was high). I'm not saying this just to disagree with you. I'm providing another relevant data point where his QBs were quite good at protecting the ball and that was over a longer period of time than at Temple.

I didn't see anything last year that indicated to me that the INTs we threw were scheme or play-call related for the most part. I felt like they were what you'd expect to see from a true freshman QB who also had an OL that wasn't really able to protect him, a center who hadn't played the position before, and that QB had been able to rely a lot on his athleticism at the HS level. And back to the point of the thread, here's my Gold Koolaid... I fully expect we will see a different Sims this year who is more mature, better at reading defenses, and makes better decisions with the ball. I am not suggesting he'll be a finished product, yet.

One other thing is that I'm not 100% sold on CDP though I do think our offense will be better this year and if we don't see it and there aren't significant absences of key players (for whatever reason) then I'll be even less sold on him than I am now. On the other hand I am not as down on him as some others are because I think he has had an incredibly tough job to do and COVID made it even tougher.
No, I don't think it's scheme either. From what I saw on the tape at Temple and Sims last year is a bunch of risky throws/misreads. Makes me think there's a practice emphasis on getting the ball out on time as opposed to ball security (yes, you can go too far the other way on this one as well). Pure speculation, but we'll see if it's a trend.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Hey, it could happen!
LOVE YOUR OPTIMISM
WE HAVE #2 TOUGHEST SCHEDULE.
IF WE BEAT ONE OF UGA, CLEM, ND, OR UNC AND DO OUR THING AGAINST THE REST , I WILL BE VERY HAPPY.

AS COACH KEY SAID - ITS TIME FOR PLAYERS "TO DO YOUR JOB".

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think if we can change the offense from this shotgun spread and run the football we can get 6 wins. RB and maybe a better O line is our hope so lean on it. Then open up the play action pass. Move the ball and the defense will take care of itself. Run the offense that your players are suited to, not what you think you can run... Old coaching axiom.
You realize Costal Carolina got only 28 yards per game rushing more than GT last year. Considering we were behind big in many games that will significantly lower the team rushing totals. Teams can and do put up big rushing numbers from a shotgun sets. Limit penalties and turnovers is step #1. Have a much better O Line is step 1A.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Has anyone seen any 2021 hype video's for Georgia Tech? Normally I've seen some of those circulating around now, a couple weeks before the season starts.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Many posters on this site consider this to be their hype video....
meg rosoff GIF

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Has anyone seen any 2021 hype video's for Georgia Tech? Normally I've seen some of those circulating around now, a couple weeks before the season starts.
Here's one from twitter:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">𝗜𝘁&#39;𝘀 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝘆 𝗮 𝗺𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/4the404?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#4the404</a> /// <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GTCamp21?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#GTCamp21</a> <a href="https://t.co/frn2HM6Rtf">pic.twitter.com/frn2HM6Rtf</a></p>&mdash; Georgia Tech Football (@GeorgiaTechFB) <a href="">August 6, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>