Going on the Record

How many games does Tech win next season?

• 0-3

• 7+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Time is softening the view here. Does anyone not remember the *** chewing Geoff got after the season? He didn‘t make staff changes, he was TOLD to make staff changes.

My sources at the AA made it clear. It’s SIX or you’re out.

I would bet money that Geoff knows he is going to be canned. So, pretty the place up, try to look respectable and get another gig. It keeps him coaching and reduces the buyout burden on the AA. If he gets canned with no landing spot, he may never coach again.

My source at the AA said that the number was 5 or 6 to stay, and the 5 was conditional. I reported as much earlier. There are a couple of big money guys that were pushing for bowl or bust, but as you said, time seems to be softening the view.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
My source at the AA said that the number was 5 or 6 to stay, and the 5 was conditional. I reported as much earlier. There are a couple of big money guys that were pushing for bowl or bust, but as you said, time seems to be softening the view.
It's also not smart to have a hard line. We can have 5 wins and show some really promising signs, or have 6 wins and still see some really concerning behaviors.

JacketFan137

Banned
Time is softening the view here. Does anyone not remember the *** chewing Geoff got after the season? He didn‘t make staff changes, he was TOLD to make staff changes.

My sources at the AA made it clear. It’s SIX or you’re out.

I would bet money that Geoff knows he is going to be canned. So, pretty the place up, try to look respectable and get another gig. It keeps him coaching and reduces the buyout burden on the AA. If he gets canned with no landing spot, he may never coach again.
can assure you almost nobody involved in athletics at this high of a level is going into the season expecting to be bad and thinking they’re getting canned. he’s also gonna get another shot almost surely. probably not p5 level any time soon but he’ll get a shot somewhere

JacketFan137

Banned
Take away the last 2 games and the Pitt game (only 3 of our 9 loses) and we were competitive in all of them. I agree that more wins are needed and I'm in the 5+ wins group. We could have easily had a winning record or only have 1 win. Facts and figures don't care about your feelings, 5 of our loses could have been wins and we make a change vs BC in the 2nd half add a 6th. Also UNC was nip and tuck for a while and Duke we needed a great catch to win. We were there, just needed that extra tipped ball on defense or first down on offense and it's a whole different (and shorter) off season. 138days cant get here soon enough!
3 ny6 teams blew us out. the rest we played tough, yet somehow people act like it’s absolutely impossible an off-season of hard work can turn some of those to wins. idk why they keep coming back just to cry like eeyore but hopefully if we win they will leave

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
can assure you almost nobody involved in athletics at this high of a level is going into the season expecting to be bad and thinking they’re getting canned. he’s also gonna get another shot almost surely. probably not p5 level any time soon but he’ll get a shot somewhere
Quick rehab assignment back at Bama and then take an $ec team to the playoffs

GT33

Helluva Engineer
What more data do you need at this point that doesn’t point to the head coach being in over his head? He’s a defensive coach and yet in 3 seasons his defense has gotten worse. He does not know how to game plan. He runs vanilla systems that every team runs and thus any coach worth a head coaching position recognizes it and reacts. That is why we lose games whether by large margins or small margins. Normally with competent coaches you can chalk up the close losses to the football gods, ie. a penalty, a turnover, etc, but with us it’s all about poor game plans to start the game and zero adjustments to end the game. Offensively, we have hope if Long is given total control. But defensively, we have little chance. Teams know exactly how to attack us. Look at Pitt. We finished 2020 but getting beat down by them. And we ran the same defensive scheme against them in 2021 with the same results. Just unbelievable incompetence.
When your Manager or Director can't make the tough choices, you either fix or fire them. It's just like business though, you got people that just can't pull the trigger. More time is given, the results don't change, then another wonky plan is hatched. They make excuse after excuse even after the lowliest contributor's reading the handwriting on the wall. That dog just isn't gonna hunt. Some people just don't have it & sometimes the people in charge of those people don't have it either. When you got our disease where the people in charge of the people who are in charge of the people who are in charge of the people all don't have it, it sucks really really bad until a long time after all the dominoes fall & only if the right people are brought in.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
There is one possibility that I can cling to...at least until we've played the first four games...and that is this:

EVERYONE is going to assume that we are an easy W on their schedule. If the coaches can get the kids ready to play and devise good game plans, we could jump up and surprise a few folks.

One "upset" gets us to four wins...two gets us to five, and Coach stays.

If not...
If the other teams have good coaches, they will make sure their teams know that if our coaches can devise good game plans and get our players up to play, we could be competitive. There are few head coaches who will have their teams unprepared and who take the other team lightly…

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I think you are correct.

My feeling is there cannot be 0-45 or 0-55 games next season. Also, a loss or ugly win over Western Carolina is an absolute no no. Four or five games in we should have a clear picture.

So, let's say we are 5-6 when we play uga. Do they ease off at 28-0 so CGC gets another year?
I don’t think UGA gives us much thought, since we don’t play that high school offense anymore.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
There is one possibility that I can cling to...at least until we've played the first four games...and that is this:

EVERYONE is going to assume that we are an easy W on their schedule. If the coaches can get the kids ready to play and devise good game plans, we could jump up and surprise a few folks.

One "upset" gets us to four wins...two gets us to five, and Coach stays.

If not...
Evil genius! Tank three years so we can surprise ‘em all in year four. Brilliant! I hope it works! :ROFLMAO:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
3 ny6 teams blew us out. the rest we played tough, yet somehow people act like it’s absolutely impossible an off-season of hard work can turn some of those to wins. idk why they keep coming back just to cry like eeyore but hopefully if we win they will leave
You’re 100% correct. The blowouts were awful (especially the “who” and the “when”) but my counter point is that we played to the level of our competition every week except for those games where we were obviously outmanned. Some of that is expected in a year where a lot of things were a mess (injuries, inexperience, learning curve, etc) but I could also argue that year 3 should be less of a mess.
We’ve been “right there” in a lot of games the last three years and we’ve come up short more often than not. It’s those games where we should be competitive that I worry about... we have been losing the lions share of them and we have to stop that trend immediately.

JacketFan137

Banned
Quick rehab assignment back at Bama and then take an $ec team to the playoffs
yeah we’ve seen too many guys with rough resumes or terrible exits at schools eventually get another chance. even if you’re an actual criminal you get chances again in college football

JacketFan137

Banned
You’re 100% correct. The blowouts were awful (especially the “who” and the “when”) but my counter point is that we played to the level of our competition every week except for those games where we were obviously outmanned. Some of that is expected in a year where a lot of things were a mess (injuries, inexperience, learning curve, etc) but I could also argue that year 3 should be less of a mess.
We’ve been “right there” in a lot of games the last three years and we’ve come up short more often than not. It’s those games where we should be competitive that I worry about... we have been losing the lions share of them and we have to stop that trend immediately.
yeah hopefully another year of experience and the fact that now all of collins recruits are upper class men can make a difference. for collins sake he better hope they take that step

slugboy

Staff member
I can dig it up, but if I recall correctly we need to improve our scoring margin by about 10-12 points. That can be on offense, defense, or throughout all three phases of the game. Stansbury said it was 7 points, but I think his math was bad or he was pulling a rosy number to cover for his HC.
The stats guy over at From The Rumble Seat did a different analysis, but the outcome wasn’t different—we weren’t “close to winning” last year. In games like Pitt and UVA and BC and VT, the other teams were burning clock in the second half. They could have scored more—PITT especially.
On the other hand, I don’t doubt that there’s room for massive improvement, even in one season. We aren’t bottom 10-15 in defensive talent, but that’s where we ended up. We were close to Western Massachusetts or UConn in the rankings. There’s no reasonable expectation that we should be anywhere close to that low. Good coaching should have us up in the 60’s at least. Likewise on offense.

JacketFan137

Banned
I can dig it up, but if I recall correctly we need to improve our scoring margin by about 10-12 points. That can be on offense, defense, or throughout all three phases of the game. Stansbury said it was 7 points, but I think his math was bad or he was pulling a rosy number to cover for his HC.
The stats guy over at From The Rumble Seat did a different analysis, but the outcome wasn’t different—we weren’t “close to winning” last year. In games like Pitt and UVA and BC and VT, the other teams were burning clock in the second half. They could have scored more—PITT especially.
On the other hand, I don’t doubt that there’s room for massive improvement, even in one season. We aren’t bottom 10-15 in defensive talent, but that’s where we ended up. We were close to Western Massachusetts or UConn in the rankings. There’s no reasonable expectation that we should be anywhere close to that low. Good coaching should have us up in the 60’s at least. Likewise on offense.
turnover margin is the fastest way to do that. jeff needs to improve there and our defense needs to do something. our pass rush was non existent last year in most games so hopefully new guys can step in and contribute. we just have to get better at the little things which is easier said than done

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Its becoming more and more clear that the real problem isn't the head coach, its the people that hired him.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
This leads us to the “Fire Geoff Collins” thread, right?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This leads us to the “Fire Geoff Collins” thread, right?
Well, its not too far of a leap, but since all roads seem to lead there these days, I'd offer that there is probably more at play. Its easy to scapegoat the face of the program (who is raking in a salary most of us, if not all of us, can only dream about) when things are going south. There is certainly merit to arguments that preparation is largely to blame and even if he isn't directly preparing these guys, he is overseeing the preparation and the "buck" has to stop somewhere.
That said, I just haven't seen the killer instinct anywhere yet. I can go down a rabbit hole of corny cliches, but I haven't seen the guy (coach, asst coach, captain, field leader) who puts a moment on his shoulders and refuses to let the team fail. I haven't seen the guy who gets in someone's facemask; either for letting up or to motivate, support and demand success. I haven't seen a guy who refuses to relax even when everything is going our way; the kind of guy who's fired up when a third stringer makes a play in garbage time even if it ultimately means nothing to the outcome and everyone else is turning off their sets or heading to the car.
I'm not saying anyone is mailing it in, but I just haven't seen that gritty determined leadership yet. I'm not in the huddle, I'm not in the locker room and I am not any closer to the program than my seat at the stadium or in front of my TV. Maybe we have those guys and they haven't matured. Maybe its happening and it hasn't manifested in performance yet. Maybe we haven't had those guys and through the changes in staff, transfers or maturity, now we do. CGC doesn't have to be that guy, but somebody needs to be. Honestly, more than a few somebodies need to be. I would like to see it come from upper classmen and asst coaches, but I'll take it from wherever its genuine. If CGC is the supportive / cheerleader type, that's fine, but we need a few guys who take ownership / leadership roles in a hurry. I hope those guys are here and I hope they're ready to step up. If that has been here all along and I have missed it, then God help us, we'll take that road back to the "Fire Geoff Collins" thread.