God we needed that. (POSTGAME THREAD GT 26 - PITT 21)

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
After one game hard to tell, I think he is a little more like George Joseph O'Leary (I will put you in position to win but you have to make the plays) I don't see kiss kissing butt but telling you like it is. In my opinion I think he could be a very good Head coach for Tech. But I would wait and see how the season plays out.
Yeah I mean I dont know maybe he has thr right mentally for the Head Coach spot and dropping some of the BS from Collins circus perhaps alot of the actual coaching staff was hampered by the Collins cheerleading BS having to put on with his show. I suspect if we get too a 6 win season and all units look more coherent across the board then we do know there was something to just have disruptive Collins was and maybe more guys are retained. If Key somehow ends up being a captain of this turnaround then maybe you consider it if you believe you still got Watson running lead on recruiting and that is going well.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I had to watch a replay, but what a great result!
Late in the game I liked how H. Hall looked, muddy, tired and wanting the rock. Gavin really took advantage of his new opportunity, big kudos to the young man. Sims may have had his best leadership game.

Overall, I saw a team competing as though the depth chart meant something.

Props to and proud of Coach Key. He put the colors on the performance and his emotions on his sleeve. Who doesn't tear up when a big man cries?

Great win.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There was a poll earlier in the year that asked how many games GT can win this year. I think that question, even with the same wording, has changed at this point.

A month ago: "How many games can GT win?" brought about feelings that maybe GT could get to six wins and make a bowl game. Not probable, but maybe possible.
Now: "How many games can GT win?" brings about feelings that maybe GT could be playing in Charlotte on December 3rd. Again, not probable, but maybe possible.

It is amazing how that same question seems so much different now.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I personally love QBs that have great QB mindsets and are playmakers, of course it helps if they have playmakers around them also.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting comments from him here (he’s not happy). It still doesn’t make sense to me why he’d be McDuffie’s backup even in non-short yardage situations. And why he was Hall’s backup right away, before Hall got going. I mean Dontae didn’t even get the start. That’s a demotion. I think there’s more here but since I don’t know, I’ll leave it. And just say how proud I am of the team.
hah. he replied to me.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Great dub! The team def needed that. Lots of improvement in a very short turnaround with a lot of off the field noise. Looking forward to seeing how they continue to improve this year.

Oline is still a work in progress. I thought Jakiah Leftwich looked decent at right tackle for the short time he was in. I’m surprised we haven’t seen us try a right side of the line of Williams @ guard - Leftwich @ tackle. I’m sure they’ve tried it in practice, so what do I know.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’m excited for the win. I’ll say this was the first game I was confident the staff had a good plan and were going to execute it efficiently.

I may be projecting my own feelings here, but I got the sense that guys believed CBK was deploying the guys in a way that allowed them to just do their job. No need to second guess. The calls got signaled in (again IMHO) cleaner and quicker. There was less confusion on stunts and twists. I just think we had a team that was going out and doing what they were asked to do.

Then you get guys like CT3 or Ace who did yeoman’s work INSIDE their scheme and responsibility and the guys started to buy in more. When doing your job well, brings good results it’s easier to keep your focus and do you job.

The D played their hearts out. No quit in them. The finally score at the end shows the garbage time points and yea there were a few break downs but dang the boys were out there a LONG time in inhospitable cold, wet weather.

Seeing CBK choke up when talking about the GT logo on the game ball he was given took me back to playing rugby and the pride we felt when we out on the Old White jersey. You want to beat us, then you better kill us. Cause that’s the only way I’m letting go of the rope.

On O we saw Jeff do enough to win. I want to see continued growth, but he had some plays where he dug for the first down, sprung a down field block for a RB, stood tall in the pocket and threw a good ball. I said last night that getting the good on tape this week is huge for the O. I believe in the staff and hope the new focused approach to practice yields continually better results.

Let’s get right this week and take it to the devils coming into our home. 2-1 in the ACC would be sweet.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Agree. The refs seemed to spot the ball where his knee hit rather than where the ball was when he was down. Where the ball was appeared to be a TD but, if not, the spot would have been no further than 2 inches from the goal line.

Terrible call and spot.
Probably short, but if so maybe an inch. Not half yard line. Bad call because you had no angle that showed the ball clearly no over the plane. But we couldn’t get a yard when we needed it, very frustrating.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I’m excited for the win. I’ll say this was the first game I was confident the staff had a good plan and were going to execute it efficiently.

I may be projecting my own feelings here, but I got the sense that guys believed CBK was deploying the guys in a way that allowed them to just do their job. No need to second guess. The calls got signaled in (again IMHO) cleaner and quicker. There was less confusion on stunts and twists. I just think we had a team that was going out and doing what they were asked to do.

Then you get guys like CT3 or Ace who did yeoman’s work INSIDE their scheme and responsibility and the guys started to buy in more. When doing your job well, brings good results it’s easier to keep your focus and do you job.

The D played their hearts out. No quit in them. The finally score at the end shows the garbage time points and yea there were a few break downs but dang the boys were out there a LONG time in inhospitable cold, wet weather.

Seeing CBK choke up when talking about the GT logo on the game ball he was given took me back to playing rugby and the pride we felt when we out on the Old White jersey. You want to beat us, then you better kill us. Cause that’s the only way I’m letting go of the rope.

On O we saw Jeff do enough to win. I want to see continued growth, but he had some plays where he dug for the first down, sprung a down field block for a RB, stood tall in the pocket and threw a good ball. I said last night that getting the good on tape this week is huge for the O. I believe in the staff and hope the new focused approach to practice yields continually better results.

Let’s get right this week and take it to the devils coming into our home. 2-1 in the ACC would be sweet.

I take back anything I said or thought about Brent the last 3 1/2 years. This week has totally changed my opinion of him. I hope he continues to do a great job, the rest of the year and winds up with a good job next year. I don’t think he gets our permanent job, but the way he has handled this situation should set him up for good jobs in the future.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Who dat tied for 6th in the ACC and 2nd in the Coastal?
Screenshot_20221002-114449_ESPN.jpg

slugboy

Staff member
This is the play of the game to me--not because it's the most highlight-worthy, but it tells the story of the game to me more than any other. It's offense, but the entire line getting together in a scrum to make 13 yards on 3rd down was really important to the game (hopefully, the time code for YouTube works--if it doesn't, go to 17:14 on the time slider):

Interesting comments from him here (he’s not happy). It still doesn’t make sense to me why he’d be McDuffie’s backup even in non-short yardage situations. And why he was Hall’s backup right away, before Hall got going. I mean Dontae didn’t even get the start. That’s a demotion. I think there’s more here but since I don’t know, I’ll leave it. And just say how proud I am of the team.
If you look at the stats, Dontae is our most effective runner up until yesterday's game. If you look at the matchup yesterday, Pitt is tough against the kind of running that Dontae is best at. Third and goal from the 1 and 4th and goal from the 1 told that story (and, in retrospect, I'd have preferred different play calls against Pitt's defense)

Hall is normally our least effective runner, but he was the right choice against Pittsburgh--his speed made him dangerous. Against a speedy defense, Smith might be a better choice.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Now: "How many games can GT win?" brings about feelings that maybe GT could be playing in Charlotte on December 3rd. Again, not probable, but maybe possible.
It’s just one game man, and one where we could have also turned the ball over 3-4 times on our own. Nothing this team has shown me points to an ability to win the division. But they did win…on the road against a ranked team. That’s progress. Now build on it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It’s just one game man, and one where we could have also turned the ball over 3-4 times on our own. Nothing this team has shown me points to an ability to win the division. But they did win…on the road against a ranked team. That’s progress. Now build on it.
I agree that one game isn't enough to make definitive conclusions. I am not predicting that GT will be in the championship game. After the Ole Miss game I would have said there is zero chance, not it feels like there is at least a chance.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This is the play of the game to me--not because it's the most highlight-worthy, but it tells the story of the game to me more than any other. It's offense, but the entire line getting together in a scrum to make 13 yards on 3rd down was really important to the game (hopefully, the time code for YouTube works--if it doesn't, go to 17:14 on the time slider):

If you look at the stats, Dontae is our most effective runner up until yesterday's game. If you look at the matchup yesterday, Pitt is tough against the kind of running that Dontae is best at. Third and goal from the 1 and 4th and goal from the 1 told that story (and, in retrospect, I'd have preferred different play calls against Pitt's defense)

Hall is normally our least effective runner, but he was the right choice against Pittsburgh--his speed made him dangerous. Against a speedy defense, Smith might be a better choice.

Smith played the fewest snaps of everyone on offense. 3 snaps all game. This isn’t purely a decision of Hall > Smith and McDuffie > Smith

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We went into the season with an OL that was seriously green/lacking game snaps. That's a huge handicap. I have been hoping that as the season goes on and they get experience they get better and better.

When the OL swarmed Hall and pushed the pile 7-8 yards to get the first down that was an important lesson about effort, want to, and as Key said learning that "body blows" have an effect in the 4th Qtr. Something to build on. Pass pro seemed to be one reason Hall played most snaps at RB. Makes sense if OL is struggling.

I liked the game plan to run Sims aggressively. He is tough to handle when he gets up a head of steam N-S. That outside run to score the last TD would have made Paul Johnson proud....well-designed by Long and a terrific situational call. Think Key/Long were looking for explosives from Hall and Sims in run game to counter OL inconsistencies and got enough of them to win.

Defense tackled well, corners covered well, and at times we got pressure. Played hard and forced turnovers. Front 7 played well and stopped the run. Nice effort/swarming to the ball.

Kicking game was simplified and sound.

Pitt didn't play their best game and we got lucky several times. That said we took advantage and made plays to win the game.

Thought Hall overturned TD was not indisputable evidence d/t not being able to see where ball was precisely when knee was down. Despite forward lean they spotted ball where knee itself touched. Who is to say ball wasn't across plane when knee was down? Certainly seemed closer to GL than spot.

Liked decision to go for it, but not the fade call b/c with 1 chance it was not a high % play. Plus they were selling out to stop the up the middle play. CPJ would often run a quick toss to exploit edge in that situation.

To our credit we came back and scored a TD after their 99 yd drive. Most of the game D picked up , but the O returned the favor when it counted.

Nice win but lots of work to be done and can't afford to let down. Need even more urgency.

Last edited: