Glad Barry Switzer Enjoyed the Show

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Interesting in Ivan Maisel's 3 point stance this week:

3. Hall of Fame head coach Barry Switzer, a Wishbone guy when he won three national championships at Oklahoma in the 1970-80s, loved seeing Georgia Tech take apart Mississippi State in the Orange Bowl. "They came within two points of beating Florida State," Switzer said. "They (beat) Mississippi State, who had been ranked number one. Give me a break. ... Someone asked (Larry) Lacewell (a longtime Switzer aide), ‘Is the Wishbone dead?' Lacewell said, ‘No, the Wishbone ain't dead. The damn coaches who coached it are dead, except for me and Switzer. Bear Bryant's gone. Emory Bellard's gone. Darrell Royal's gone.'"

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/p...re-like-a-business-trip?ex_cid=espnapi_public

As a side note, does anyone think describing our win as something like "take apart" will ever get old this offseason? I don't

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I believe it was his 1980 team that included Billy Sims and JC Watts whose record of 411 rushing yards we broke.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
The type of offense a team runs doesn't matter so long as they are winning with it. Barry Switzer is also still the only coach to win a National Championship with a true freshman QB. Jamelle Holieway in 1986 came off the bench about five games into the season for an injured Troy Aikman and took the Sooners to the OB where the defeated Penn State for the Title.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Love Switzer. To me, PJ has a blend of two personalities.... Tom Osborne in his preseason type press meetings and On the field Swag like Switzer.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I can recall just a few years ago when the media types were saying that you couldn't win a NC running the spread offense. Now this clown on 680 is saying we can't do it with the spread option (wishbone). What a moron.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Interesting how CPJ's personality get characterized by our fanbase based on if he's winning or losing.
His personality has not changed and what he says has not changed. He has shortened the time you are allowed to screw up. The Groh "era" has been replaced with there's the door "mr locker room lawyers" and that coupled with sucess has added to his swag. The swag also has been enhanced by the clear admiration and affection he has for the players and they have for him. While the winning is elemental to the fans opinion , the way this team won adds a LOT to the joy.

Declinometer

Banned
I can recall just a few years ago when the media types were saying that you couldn't win a NC running the spread offense. Now this clown on 680 is saying we can't do it with the spread option (wishbone). What a moron.
I remember when it was said that CPJ's offense couldn't win against 1-a opponents. Then it was couldn't win against TOP 1-a opponents. Then it couldn't win if a team had an off week with a week to prepare. Then it couldn't win a bowl game if a team had 3/4 weeks to prepare. Now all I hear is it wouldn't work in the NFL. Needless to say, the bar will always be moved.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I remember when it was said that CPJ's offense couldn't win against 1-a opponents. Then it was couldn't win against TOP 1-a opponents. Then it couldn't win if a team had an off week with a week to prepare. Then it couldn't win a bowl game if a team had 3/4 weeks to prepare. Now all I hear is it wouldn't work in the NFL. Needless to say, the bar will always be moved.

Would LOVE to see CPJ coach in the NFL...after he wins multiple national championships with us, of course. Tired of watching the same offenses in every game...every week. The big criticism of this offense in the NFL is that you would get your QB killed. Well, as 5'10 180lb JeT has proven...if you're smart about how you take hits (and don't get your leg twisted by a defender...ahem), you'll be fine.

A team like the Jacksonville Jaguars, Buffalo Bills, Minnesota...small market teams, should be all over CPJ. Of course, NFL people don't like to think outside of the box.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Would LOVE to see CPJ coach in the NFL...after he wins multiple national championships with us, of course. Tired of watching the same offenses in every game...every week. The big criticism of this offense in the NFL is that you would get your QB killed. Well, as 5'10 180lb JeT has proven...if you're smart about how you take hits (and don't get your leg twisted by a defender...ahem), you'll be fine.

A team like the Jacksonville Jaguars, Buffalo Bills, Minnesota...small market teams, should be all over CPJ. Of course, NFL people don't like to think outside of the box.

I think there's some legitimacy to the criticism that the field is in effect smaller and some monster DE's in the NFL are able to cover pitch and QB.

Additionally you'd have to go all-in on the offense, and therefore that makes certain parts more valuable to you than others and teams would use that to their advantage. With Free Agency and trades it's probabl best to keep things as interchangeable as possible. There's no guarantee you will have players for 4 years and you'd constantly be practicing the basics with new players. Mid-season trades on offense would be incredibly difficult.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think there's some legitimacy to the criticism that the field is in effect smaller and some monster DE's in the NFL are able to cover pitch and QB.

Additionally you'd have to go all-in on the offense, and therefore that makes certain parts more valuable to you than others and teams would use that to their advantage. With Free Agency and trades it's probabl best to keep things as interchangeable as possible. There's no guarantee you will have players for 4 years and you'd constantly be practicing the basics with new players. Mid-season trades on offense would be incredibly difficult.

Well, players do have contracts! The most important positions for this offense would be the QB and the OLs. And you have to consider that the pool of players, which you can choose and rotate through (unlike the NCAA) is larger in the NFL. Right now, most of the NFL teams favor the classic drop back passer...how many dual threat QBs out there don't even get a sniff because they don't fit the mold?

As for freak DEs and DLs, there are also freak OLs and RBs that can block them. Read option plays are being used right now to great success in the NFL, so to say CPJ's concepts wouldn't work would be to ignore that the same principles are already working in the NFL right now. CPJ has spoken at length about this, and NFL and widely renowned college coaches famously visit him to study his offense...you think they waste their time doing that if they don't think they could implement something to their own offense? This offense is like anything, it will have their detractors in the pro game until someone has success with it. I think the read option being implemented by Jim Harbaugh at San Fran, Pete Carrol at Seattle, and Chip Kelly at Philly are just the beginning. One day, a very smart GM with an open minded Owner will take a chance on an offense like this and it will change the NFL.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
in an option play I'm talking about the DE would be the unblocked optioned defender.

Also NFL contracts are not guaranteed, but that would be more to the teams benefit than detriment.

Finally you'd probably have some of the same difficulties we face in negative recruiting in finding capable Free Agents.

I'll go on record as saying I'd love to see a team try it, but I don't think it's as simple as it may seem to be in college.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
in an option play I'm talking about the DE would be the unblocked optioned defender.

Also NFL contracts are not guaranteed, but that would be more to the teams benefit than detriment.

Finally you'd probably have some of the same difficulties we face in negative recruiting in finding capable Free Agents.

I'll go on record as saying I'd love to see a team try it, but I don't think it's as simple as it may seem to be in college.

We've played against some of the top DEs in the country, reading off them with guys like Tevin Washington and Josh Nesbitt getting by them. You think an NFL level QB with freak abilities wouldn't get around them?

As for free agents...you think guys in the NFL want a job that pays hundreds of thousands/millions? There's also the draft. But you're right, contracts are to the benefit of the team because it locks the players up for multiple years.

Declinometer

Banned

You are no different that any of the previous doubters. Always moving the bar. New parts are introduced to a college team every year.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

I don't care if you've got Lawrence Taylor at one DE and Reggie White at the other, if you've got Justin Thomas or Marriota or whatever NFL level option QB and Reggie Bush or Todd Gurley or whatever NFL level RB running at that guy in a 2-on-1 situation (which is what the option pitch off of the DE is), if that guy tries to play both, it's not going to go well for him.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would Reggie Bush sign a contract to be an A-Back?

Why would any runnning back sign a contract to be a B-Back?

What does it do for their future profssional contracts?

I've seen many NFL defenders in effect play both men on an option it's when they hesitate and sit on their heels that the plays work really well.

What I mean by in effect is at least slow down or force early decisions.

And I don't mean any of this to deter people from thinking what college system they play in affects their draftablity much more than a hill of beans because I don't.

But I do believe that a professional team would have to run the option against the wishes of agents, potential draftees, and in many cases their fans so it would very much be an all-in proposition that a college frankly doesn't have to deal with.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't care if you've got Lawrence Taylor at one DE and Reggie White at the other, if you've got Justin Thomas or Marriota or whatever NFL level option QB and Reggie Bush or Todd Gurley or whatever NFL level RB running at that guy in a 2-on-1 situation (which is what the option pitch off of the DE is), if that guy tries to play both, it's not going to go well for him.

Yep, and put Le'veon Bell at B-back. The more aggressive the DE is, the better.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck

the traditional argument against the flexbone at a high level is that there's an upper limit to how quickly the qb can read and react, and so the o can't scale to faster moving players. I think JT has convincingly demonstrated that the upper limit is at least not where we might have thought previously.

I'd also point out that flexbone would look very different in the NFL. If you think JT's passing has changed our game, imagine an offense that has had time as a unit to include the entire run and shoot playbook in their practiced and ready column. The base is key, but time constraints in college keep this offense from really reaching its potential.