Give Some Love to Jordan Yates!!!!

techster26

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, Yates hits the open on target on time. Sims maybe does, maybe doesn't. I'm starting Yates and let's roll. I don't care about height, weight, etc. Kid seems like a winner. Won state at Milton, hits the ground running at Tech. I was at the game Saturday and he deserves an opportunity. If he doesn't step up in the first half of the next game, make a change but I like the kid.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't like to pull for one Tech player over another Tech player. But to me Yates is what I would refer to as I smart player who will do anything to help his team.
I wouldn't say i am pulling for him over anyone else. Just giving credit where credit is due. He has balled for us when he has had the chance

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
He’s definitely earned more playing time. The easy decision would be to keep playing Yates. It’ll be interesting to see who starts next week.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, Yates hits the open on target on time. Sims maybe does, maybe doesn't. I'm starting Yates and let's roll. I don't care about height, weight, etc. Kid seems like a winner. Won state at Milton, hits the ground running at Tech. I was at the game Saturday and he deserves an opportunity. If he doesn't step up in the first half of the next game, make a change but I like the kid.
Some people would've said similar things about Russell Wilson early on as well and he turned out alright I think.... Yates is a gamer who just makes plays spins the ball well and hits goes that are open in stride and can prolong plays and occasionally take up some yards on ground. We see Sims has raw talent but he so far has not been able to put it together on GameDay and just seems always off to a slow start.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I fail to see what Mr. Sims has done to earn the starting role. But, I will also admit I am not in practice. I just hope it's not because Sims is more of an athlete. You need a combination at the QB position, not just athletic skills.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that, for whatever reason, Sims game has not slowed down in his head this season. Maybe him knowing that the expectations
are raised this year has got him putting extra pressure on himself. I'm pulling for him, cause he's a fine young man. But Yates has stepped up big time, and has earned another start, IMO.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Sims is a runner who can pass. Yates is a passer who can run. I know…sounds silly and a little oversimplified. In the NIU game, Sims seemed a tad reluctant to plant his feet and commit to the pass. Instead, he looked like he much preferred to run and only pass if he had to. Yates seemed much more comfortable with planting, scanning, and passing.

I think we need Yates on Saturday. We need more of a pass threat against Clemson. If they know we have to run, it is going to be a very long day.

Last edited:

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Sims is a runner who can pass. Yates is a passer who can run. I know…sounds silly and a little oversimplified. In the NIU game, Sims seemed a tad reluctant to plant his feet and commit to the pass. Instead, he looked like he much preferred to run and only pass if he had to. Yates seemed much more comfortable with planting, scanning, and passing.

I think we need Yates on Saturday. We need more of a pass threat against Clemson. If they know we have to run, it is going to be a very long night.
I agree on Yates. Right now he’s proven he gives us our best chance to compete. But I fear our coaching staff will want to start Sims just because. I hope they’re smarter than that though.

I’m hoping we keep gelling and come out this weekend looking fired up on both sides of the ball

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
Like I said in another thread, Sims gets different plays from Patenaude. Patenaude has to set Jeff up to succeed. If he runs the same offense with Sims as he does with Yates, we win 8 games.

We are not an 8 win team with either QB running the ship. That is a fact. At best we win 6 and get to a bowl game this year. Yates' floor is very high but his ceiling is low. Sims' floor is low but his ceiling is high. I believe right now Yates' consistency and decision making has earned him another start. Clemson for sure we will not win with either QB but let's see how he handles everything against a superior team.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
We are not an 8 win team with either QB running the ship. That is a fact. At best we win 6 and get to a bowl game this year. Yates' floor is very high but his ceiling is low. Sims' floor is low but his ceiling is high. I believe right now Yates' consistency and decision making has earned him another start. Clemson for sure we will not win with either QB but let's see how he handles everything against a superior team.
I really dont care what you have to say, with your *checks profile* 2 messages. If you want to talk X's and O's Im with it, but outside of that, I'm good. Bye bye.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
You have no idea if we are an 8 win team or not. Besides Georgia, nobody looks that great that we play.

I will agree with the floor/ceiling, but those are theoretical. I think Yates keeps the job until he loses it or Sims earns it back. Both guys and the team will be better for it

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sims shows flashes of high end talent. Some of the throws he makes, and some of the runs he has makes you think how big of a weapon he can be if he puts it all together and is consistent. The problem is, there is a legitimate backup (Yates) that's productive RIGHT NOW. I would venture to guess the thinking behind Sims is giving him more reps gets him closer to that high end talent that's consistent.

Let's be honest here...we were all pretty high on Sims early last season because we saw the flashes. The thing is, we have talent to win now. With a QB like Yates showing he can move our offense, it's REALLY hard to put a down payment in for the future (Sims) hoping for a return when you're getting a return now with Yates.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He’s definitely earned more playing time. The easy decision would be to keep playing Yates. It’ll be interesting to see who starts next week.
Yates had definitely earned the start. If for some reason he doesn't work out Saturday and it's determined that we need a taller, stouter QB in there, then I can see Sims coming in. But that having been said, from what I've seen - I have faith in Yates.