Giff Smith

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
So on all tech forums, the gold standard for recruiting classes is the 2007 class. That's usually the class that every other class is judged by/against and is used to show that CCG recruited "NFL quality" players and why CPJ is such a poor recruiter. But I do recall that our 2009 and 2010 recruiting classes under CPJ were pretty good as well. Especially that 2010 class which had 4-6 4-star players (depending on which recruiting site you check out). The problem with the 2009 and 2010 recruiting classes was that there doesn't seem to be any "elite" players of the likes of Dwyer, Burnett, and Morgan.

Now the constant denominator in this whole equation was Giff Smith who was the Dline coach during the end of the CCG era and the beginning of the CPJ era. Also, this was around the time when our DLine was one of the best in the conference and we've had multiple guys along that line go into the NFL.

So, what's everyone's take on Giff Smith's role in those recruiting classes and talent level at the DLine position before/after his tenure at Tech? Was it just by coincidence that he was there during that stretch or was he that good of a recruiter/DLine coach?

gtdrew

Banned
Kyle JAckson told me that a lot of the moms were sorority sisters in that class. That class was a "perfect storm" scenario....

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't think they is any question about how good a recruiter Coach Smith is. I had hoped after the abject failure by CCG in Buffalo he would have returned to Tech. Early returns on CMP are very encouraging and he is really working the state of AL.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Kyle JAckson told me that a lot of the moms were sorority sisters in that class. That class was a "perfect storm" scenario....

Kyle was the Ambassador that class, too, right? Having key commits recruiting each other always helps. I hadn't heard the sorority sister thing, though; that's an interesting note.

On another note, did you ever talk to Kyle about what was going on with the team in 2010?

gtdrew

Banned
Kyle was the Ambassador that class, too, right? Having key commits recruiting each other always helps. I hadn't heard the sorority sister thing, though; that's an interesting note.

On another note, did you ever talk to Kyle about what was going on with the team in 2010?
without breaking a trust, i'll just say that i was told by more than one source that there were guys on that team who cared more about the name on the back of the jersey than on the front.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
So on all tech forums, the gold standard for recruiting classes is the 2007 class. That's usually the class that every other class is judged by/against and is used to show that CCG recruited "NFL quality" players and why CPJ is such a poor recruiter. But I do recall that our 2009 and 2010 recruiting classes under CPJ were pretty good as well. Especially that 2010 class which had 4-6 4-star players (depending on which recruiting site you check out). The problem with the 2009 and 2010 recruiting classes was that there doesn't seem to be any "elite" players of the likes of Dwyer, Burnett, and Morgan.

Now the constant denominator in this whole equation was Giff Smith who was the Dline coach during the end of the CCG era and the beginning of the CPJ era. Also, this was around the time when our DLine was one of the best in the conference and we've had multiple guys along that line go into the NFL.

So, what's everyone's take on Giff Smith's role in those recruiting classes and talent level at the DLine position before/after his tenure at Tech? Was it just by coincidence that he was there during that stretch or was he that good of a recruiter/DLine coach?
On, the original topic, I've heard tons of good things (and nothing but good things) from high school coaches about Giff Smith. They loved him. I would love to get him back to GT in any capacity. He was and would continue to be a huge asset.