Gibbs has announced his commitment to bama

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I said years ago that GA State would eventually be a GT problem. A lot of GT fans dismissed them since we have this uppity issue among our fanbase, then they got invited into an FBS conference. Still not at our level....yet.

However, they are ripe for a conference like the Big 12, which is a P5 conference. They would form a natural rivalry with UCF which just joined the Big 12. Given the loss of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC, Big 12 is going after "secondary" schools in large TV markets makes a LOT of sense. Everything changes for GA State if the Big 12 comes after them. They can now market themselves as a P5 program, with access to the college football playoffs. Their budget goes up...AND they don't have to wrestle with the academic issues that GT does when they recruit.

GA State has been the beneficiary of timing, if not actual on the football field results. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...and GA State has been at the right place at the right time since they started their program.
It’s all about money 💰… ACC contract though crappy still pays more than the BIG 12 and it would be a shock if the big 12 payout doesn’t drop considerably once Oklahoma and Texas bail. The Big 12 and AAC would then be at a total revenue disadvantage to the ACC. You know kind of the revenue gulf between the ACC and the SEC. Better yet, think of the 70 million dollar gulf between GT and UGA when comparing us to GA state. It won’t be as big a divide but it will be substantial.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The same people are the ones talking about giving up season tickets and bashing the program right and left.

All they have to do is show up to games or watch on tv and they’re talking about bailing.

Gibbs spent 2 years grinding through practices, school, games…etc and was essentially our whole offense.

Am I happy he’s leaving? no. Do I get it? Yes.

Heck, I was no where near at Gibbs level and I considered it after one season and one summer playing with guys from other schools in the Cape.

You can be a team guy and also try and put yourself in the best position possible.

There’s just as much, if nothing more talk about Gibbs turning down NIL deals as there is about him potentially sitting the rest of the dwag game because he was leaving and not hurt.

By all accounts he seems like a great kid. In all honesty, he reminds me of BayBay. Elite talents that doesn’t try and bring attention to himself. Quiet kid who has the respect of his peers. Puts in the work.

I hate he’s leaving, but glad he’s going to Bama and hope he has a career day when they play the leg humpers.

Edit to add: I’ve yet to see anyone bash CTC for leaving. In fact, there’s an almost consensus that it was a great decision by him. Some saying it’s a great career move while the haters say it was smart to get off a burning ship. Seems a bit like a double standard to hold an athlete to a standard you’re not going to hold to a coach.

I think both of them made wise decisions that I don’t like. I wish they both stayed, but get why both left and think it was a smart move.
i like choice and gibbs wish i could change teams. just can't do it - too much invested here.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Hoenslty if he's taking classes they should let him play imagine if he was returning kicks. Does it break CFB yep. but screw it we are already there.
I really was wondering about that. Lol how funny would it be if he was eligible to play on the Championship game and out the nail in the coffin for an Alabama win against UGA. Then technically we could say that a former GT player beat UGA in the championship game! Has this happened yet that a player transfers to another school and played in a bowl/championship game within the same season or is he not eligible to play with Bama until the next season?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I really was wondering about that. Lol how funny would it be if he was eligible to play on the Championship game and out the nail in the coffin for an Alabama win against UGA. Then technically we could say that a former GT player beat UGA in the championship game! Has this happened yet that a player transfers to another school and played in a bowl/championship game within the same season or is he not eligible to play with Bama until the next season?
Some on our posters suggested to me that JG was ineligible for the NC bowl, but to have a 2nd shot after getting injured and losing 45-0 would be sweet...