Getting to the MLB

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When reviewing the VT replay a second time and truly appreciating how much quality physical blocking our ABs were doing, it made me realize how important getting to the MIKE is for our offense. CPJ talks constantly about no penalties and no fumbles as being the barometers for our success on offense. Well, after thinking back about the games we had have success, and I mean big success, on offense, another common denominator seems to be consistently getting hits on that defender.

For #23 of VT, it must have been a really long day. If he wasn't hammered from the inside by the BB, he was getting cracked by the ABs. I'm not sure if he knew where his blocker was coming from a lot of the time. Traditionally, we have relied on releasing OLs to get hits on the MIKE much of the time. Yes, we have had play side ABs curl around the end and take them in the past, but not with nearly the frequency of last Thursday. Clearly, it was a major part of the game plan to take the A gap jumpers and the DLs at the point of attack with OLs not releasing and take care of the MIKE with a variety of skill players. It will be interesting to see what happens in today's game, as well as moving forward. At the very least, we have given teams something different and new to have to think about.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There are variables -- is it an inside play, or is it in space? Is the linebacker small and athletic, or more of a slower bruiser? But in many cases, it seems like skill players are a better fit for the job.

Ugasux

Georgia Tech Fan
Just seems to work better when we are engaging blockers at the point of attack. I got so tired of watching the Duke Defence crash the A gaps and blow everything up. So curious as to how we would have faired with the VT game plan against Duke and Pitt.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
We had an awesome night and everything seemed to be clicking (and just an observation) but I think that MLB was a true freshman. Not your typical experienced, Bud Foster-MLB that he is used to having play that position.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think CPJ has made the MLB one of the reads on the triple option in a game before (block either the DE or OLB). The ABack and the OT switching blocking assignments is the other way. The OT has a tough job if they are being pinched and there is no BBack run threat in the middle to pull the MLB down (scrape down) closer to the OT.

If we cannot block a very good MLB, I am not sure why we would run the triple....