Georgia Tech vs Washington State - Stats Comparison

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting to compare a team on the other side of the offensive spectrum. They rank next to last nationally in rushing offense, and Georgia Tech ranks 1st nationally. They rank #1 nationally in passing offense, and Georgia Tech ranks 128th out of 130th.

Hopefully Tech puts 60 on North Carolina this weekend and moves up into the top 15 and retains the #1 rushing offense.

Sucks that the option just doesn't work though.... I mean, you can't have a top 20 offense in 2018 running the option, right? (insert sarcasm)

Georgia Tech

Average = 38.9 (#19 nationally)

Washington State (7-1, top 15 team)

Average = 40.8 (#12 nationally)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to compare a team on the other side of the offensive spectrum. They rank next to last nationally in rushing offense, and Georgia Tech ranks 1st nationally. They rank #1 nationally in passing offense, and Georgia Tech ranks 128th out of 130th.

Hopefully Tech puts 60 on North Carolina this weekend and moves up into the top 15 and retains the #1 rushing offense.

Sucks that the option just doesn't work though.... I mean, you can't have a top 20 offense in 2018 running the option, right? (insert sarcasm)

Georgia Tech

Average = 38.9 (#19 nationally)

Washington State (7-1, top 15 team)

Average = 40.8 (#12 nationally)

I was looking for a better way to evaluate how well a TO works and found some comments made by Ken Niumatolo. In short, the TO is supposed to a) put up a massive number of rushing yards which, because it is rushing, is very low risk, b) control the TOP and in turn, slow the other team's tempo down, c) have a Red Zone Efficiency > 80%, and finally, limit the opponent's possessions to 8 max.

We are doing very well on rushing. Check. Our average TOP is only 32 min, we are not controlling the clock as well as we could. Our Red Zone Efficiency is 4 games over 80% and 4 games under, so not a lot of scoring consistency, and finally ... our opponents are 12-13 possessions per game. Enough to outscore us.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
How to control the clock better? Just take the air out of the ball? let it get down to 2 seconds before snapping the ball every play? I think Army did that a few years ago when Monken first got there.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Looks to me like a HUGE issue here is consistency. Three times GT was held to 21 points or fewer...all three L's. Wazzou was held below 31 points only once...their only L. So, forget the averages....we simply have not been consistent while WSU has been. If we had scored at least 31 in all but 1 game, I doubt that CPJ would be in hot water and I doubt that the message boards would be all fired up with the "our opponents have figured it out" criticism.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Looks to me like a HUGE issue here is consistency. Three times GT was held to 21 points or fewer...all three L's. Wazzou was held below 31 points only once...their only L. So, forget the averages....we simply have not been consistent while WSU has been. If we had scored at least 31 in all but 1 game, I doubt that CPJ would be in hot water and I doubt that the message boards would be all fired up with the "our opponents have figured it out" criticism.

I generally agree with this. Despite some gaudy stats in half of our games this season, this is not one of our better offensive teams in terms of consistency or quality. Not every team is great every year, but lots of years before this have done a better job demonstrating the effectiveness of our offense than this one.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I generally agree with this. Despite some gaudy stats in half of our games this season, this is not one of our better offensive teams in terms of consistency or quality. Not every team is great every year, but lots of years before this have done a better job demonstrating the effectiveness of our offense than this one.

Hard to say. Overall performance is good. But ... RZ efficiency doesn't look that good and combined with a) turnovers and b) a less than skillful defense ... and we have what we have. We should be 6-2.

Connor

Georgia Tech Fan
Another interesting slice would be to compare the recruiting classes. Quickly observing their classes, their average falls relatively in line with where we are, but they tend to sign a couple more top prospects than we do. In other words, they may be able to find their 8-9 most important play makers more consistently than Tech.

Albeit- a very different system and school, attracting different talent.

They're an interesting and enjoyable team to watch this year.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Another interesting slice would be to compare the recruiting classes. Quickly observing their classes, their average falls relatively in line with where we are, but they tend to sign a couple more top prospects than we do. In other words, they may be able to find their 8-9 most important play makers more consistently than Tech.

Albeit- a very different system and school, attracting different talent.

They're an interesting and enjoyable team to watch this year.
There are also only about four schools: UW, WSU, OU, and OSU in the area to recruit against. GT is competing against the entire south east for recruits. Granted, there are more recruits in the area to balance things, but WSU is no bastion of higher excellence either.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There are also only about four schools: UW, WSU, OU, and OSU in the area to recruit against. GT is competing against the entire south east for recruits. Granted, there are more recruits in the area to balance things, but WSU is no bastion of higher excellence either.
I don't know, but I would have guessed that all west coast schools had to recruit California to have a chance.....which would mean the competition is pretty fierce in recruiting. I *know* this is how Oregon vaulted into the top tier of college football.....but not sure about Wazzou.

Deleted member 2897

FEI and S&P+ both rank Georgia Tech and Washington State as top offenses in the country.

The difference is they've held 5 teams to <= 24 points. We've only done that to 3 teams.

They're 3-1 in games decided by 14 points or less. We're 0-3.

This all tells me what we kind of already knew - our team has a hard time winning reasonably close games and our defense rarely outright wins us games.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't know, but I would have guessed that all west coast schools had to recruit California to have a chance.....which would mean the competition is pretty fierce in recruiting. I *know* this is how Oregon vaulted into the top tier of college football.....but not sure about Wazzou.
Looks like they list all players not just scholarships but I saw 42 Cali, 24 Wash, 4 Ore (surprising?), 7 Fla., 3 GA, 5 Hawaii.
Certainly not surprised to see all the California, but the lack of Oregon is interesting.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
FEI and S&P+ both rank Georgia Tech and Washington State as top offenses in the country.

The difference is they've held 5 teams to <= 24 points. We've only done that to 3 teams.

They're 3-1 in games decided by 14 points or less. We're 0-3.

This all tells me what we kind of already knew - our team has a hard time winning reasonably close games and our defense rarely outright wins us games.
FEI still needs to update for this week, but right now the main difference between WSU and GT is turnovers. That will be better after this past weekend, but it is the reason we lost games, and is the reason we are ranked where we are in FEI.

Deleted member 2897

FEI still needs to update for this week, but right now the main difference between WSU and GT is turnovers. That will be better after this past weekend, but it is the reason we lost games, and is the reason we are ranked where we are in FEI.

Washington is at -1 on turnover margin while Georgia Tech is at +4. Its part of the 'when it rains it pours' issue. When we don't score a lot, don't slow teams down, have problems with turnovers, it all seems to happen at the same time. Our scoring margin this year is something like +11 points per game. I'm not going to look it up, but I bet there aren't many teams anywhere near 4-4 who have outscored their opponents like that. Its feast or famine with us this year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Washington is at -1 on turnover margin while Georgia Tech is at +4. Its part of the 'when it rains it pours' issue. When we don't score a lot, don't slow teams down, have problems with turnovers, it all seems to happen at the same time. Our scoring margin this year is something like +11 points per game. I'm not going to look it up, but I bet there aren't many teams anywhere near 4-4 who have outscored their opponents like that. Its feast or famine with us this year.

You meant Washington State (like thread), and we're now at +5. The LOLvl and vpi games are just insane for offensive efficiency. UNC, like those two teams, has had a lowly rated defense (FEI). If things play to form, we should have another dominating performance this Saturday. Unfortunately, Miami, uva, and Georgie have pretty stout D's. So, we'll have to see how much of our success is tied to us executing and how much to the quality of the D.

Deleted member 2897

You meant Washington State (like thread), and we're now at +5. The LOLvl and vpi games are just insane for offensive efficiency. UNC, like those two teams, has had a lowly rated defense (FEI). If things play to form, we should have another dominating performance this Saturday. Unfortunately, Miami, uva, and Georgie have pretty stout D's. So, we'll have to see how much of our success is tied to us executing and how much to the quality of the D.

Are you my wife? You are really good at deciphering what I meant when I said something different. :D

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually, so am I. CPJ speaks all the time of 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. If you do that 4 out of 8 possessions (max), you've controlled 45 min of the game.
What do Turnovers against a wide open air raid offense means?

Against another good TO a fumble is huge . It took Baylor a few years to move to an attacking defense - whose focus is get ball back immediately.