Votes: 5 2.6%
  • USF by 14+

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The way I look at it is:

GT offense (#23 2017 OFEI) VS USF defense (#30 2017 DFEI)

IMO, USF defense is in for a LONG day. Sure, we didn't look elite against Alcorn State, but let's not overlook the fact that we rolled over 500 yards of offense (400 rushing) against them. The team will improve over the 1st and 2nd week. I think CPJ and our offense tried to look for a lot of big plays against Alcorn, but when CPJ wants to grind it out, there are plays where CPJ makes our offense seem like a slow water torture (aka Death March). The game is going to be called differently against USF. Can the USF defense hold up? If our defense is taking USF out within 3-5 plays with USF's "tempo" offense, their defense is gonna in a world of hurt.

GT defense (#63 2017 DFEI) VS USF offense (#41 2017 OFEI)

We're not going to pitch a shut out (or are we?), but this isn't Ted Roof's defense. I don't think the 2017 DFEI reflects what CNW's defense can do. I think we give up a few big plays (see: Kaleb Oliver's pass interference call), but the dink n dunk stuff isn't going to bleed us to death, and the screen passes are defended much better. USF is going to take down field shots, more than Alcorn, but I think our fron 7 group can get to the QB if there's enough time. I think we were in the backfield most of the day against Alcorn, but they played the short game against us which neutralized negative plays. I think we can stop USF's offense to give our offense extra possessions thus hurting USF's defense which has to hold up against our grinding offense. Good luck with that.

A lot has been made of USF's weather, but let's not forget the heat and humidity in Atlanta isn't too far off from Central Florida's. Tad bit hotter, and a tad bit more humidity, but we're not going from Denver to Tampa.

Bottom line:

GT 35
USF 24

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think we roll on offense with KirVonte leading the way with 150+ and a couple TDs, and our defense thrives when USF starts feeling the pressure that our grinding offense puts on opposing offenses. Score is probably 38-20 or thereabouts

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
The visiting team will come to Tampa and
Have +500 yards offense
Scoring 35+ point's
The Defense will give up <250 yards of bullCrap offense while allowing <21 points.
It's a good day to be a bee....
Up With the White and Gold!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
TOs are a key. At -2 it is a toss up we probably lose. -1 we probably win. Any better increases margin of victory.

I'm torn on TM throwing. He is so erratic he needs the practice in a real game, but I want to win...........

Also, I saw some BB handoffs last week that were too high. But I'd rather run all day if we are ahead.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that too lol he needs to stick it in the belly! We’ll have way more fumbles at the mesh if he keeps sticking the ball in their chest

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The way I look at it is:

GT offense (#23 2017 OFEI) VS USF defense (#30 2017 DFEI)

IMO, USF defense is in for a LONG day. Sure, we didn't look elite against Alcorn State, but let's not overlook the fact that we rolled over 500 yards of offense (400 rushing) against them. The team will improve over the 1st and 2nd week. I think CPJ and our offense tried to look for a lot of big plays against Alcorn, but when CPJ wants to grind it out, there are plays where CPJ makes our offense seem like a slow water torture (aka Death March). The game is going to be called differently against USF. Can the USF defense hold up? If our defense is taking USF out within 3-5 plays with USF's "tempo" offense, their defense is gonna in a world of hurt.

GT defense (#63 2017 DFEI) VS USF offense (#41 2017 OFEI)

We're not going to pitch a shut out (or are we?), but this isn't Ted Roof's defense. I don't think the 2017 DFEI reflects what CNW's defense can do. I think we give up a few big plays (see: Kaleb Oliver's pass interference call), but the dink n dunk stuff isn't going to bleed us to death, and the screen passes are defended much better. USF is going to take down field shots, more than Alcorn, but I think our fron 7 group can get to the QB if there's enough time. I think we were in the backfield most of the day against Alcorn, but they played the short game against us which neutralized negative plays. I think we can stop USF's offense to give our offense extra possessions thus hurting USF's defense which has to hold up against our grinding offense. Good luck with that.

A lot has been made of USF's weather, but let's not forget the heat and humidity in Atlanta isn't too far off from Central Florida's. Tad bit hotter, and a tad bit more humidity, but we're not going from Denver to Tampa.

Bottom line:

GT 35
USF 24

Excellent points. If you're using 2017 numbers need to consider, USF lost 9 of their 10 All Conference players off last year's team, including their QB, top RB and WR and 3 D-linemen who are in the NFL. I'd expect them to take a step back this year on both sides. "Rebuilding year" for them. Tech has a couple question marks, but return much more of our key players.

Barnett's a Senior who had thrown 14 total completions in his career prior to last week. He hasn't been able to win the job anywhere he's been. His primary competition at USF is suspended two games. Personally, I don't put any stock in Barnett's HS recruitment ranking from 4 years ago. Barnett clearly has a pretty arm, but the coaches at Bama and Az State saw something that led them not to trust him with the game. I'm not shaking in my boots over him just yet.

Barnett makes me think of Patrick Skov. Tech fans got excited because his measurables and HS film made him seem like a fit for our offense. Turned out, there was a reason he never got the ball much at Stanford... (All due respect to Skov, who by all accounts was a great student and teammate. Just wasn't cut out to carry the ball.)

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
USF scares me. They’ve been a strong program for a couple decades now and are getting the best athletes from the central Florida area to commit. UCF and USF also head a conference that is chomping at the bit to be considered a “P6”. They can go toe to toe with UF, FSU, and Miami. They live for these games against a P5, especially at home. One of the best WR corps in the country and a real pro pocket passer (but thankfully no Quinton Flowers). Need to get pressure on him from the first snap or they will make us pay deep.

Bulls 34
Jackets 27

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
31-20 Tech

Defensively:
  • Defense shows up again, allowing 2 TDs and 2 FGs
  • At least one of the TDs allowed will be a long TD pass
  • Defense gets at least 2 turnovers, one of which be returned for a TD or give the offense a short field TD
Offensively:
  • Offense has 3 legitimate TD drives to go with the defense created TD
  • Offense matches USF turnover count
Special Teams:
  • King gets his first FG of the season, but misses a 45+ yard attempt in the 4th quarter
  • Harvin punts at least twice, with one pinning USF deep that contributes to the defensive TD/short field TD
  • USF does not start any drive outside their 25 on kickoffs
After the game, Coach is not happy with the offense; too many mistakes, too many missed assignments.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
31-20 Tech

Defensively:
  • Defense shows up again, allowing 2 TDs and 2 FGs
  • At least one of the TDs allowed will be a long TD pass
  • Defense gets at least 2 turnovers, one of which be returned for a TD or give the offense a short field TD
Offensively:
  • Offense has 3 legitimate TD drives to go with the defense created TD
  • Offense matches USF turnover count
Special Teams:
  • King gets his first FG of the season, but misses a 45+ yard attempt in the 4th quarter
  • Harvin punts at least twice, with one pinning USF deep that contributes to the defensive TD/short field TD
  • USF does not start any drive outside their 25 on kickoffs
After the game, Coach is not happy with the offense; too many mistakes, too many missed assignments.

Win, lose, or draw your last point will be correct. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk