Georgia Tech: This Is The Place

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Peterson was the weakest actor in the bunch. Couldn't even learn a few lines.

Good video, really appealing to the international / non-Georgia student. (Note: I don't consider Atlanta to really be part of Georgia, whole different culture.)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is the place that has eaten her young for six generations... :p

The quote "it is a bit rigorous AT TIMES" (if i heard it correctly)by one of the FB players was a jaw-dropper. Made me think the clip was NOT about GT. I guess times certainly do change...or maybe I was one of the dumber people there in my day. or C) all of the above.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I like it. It does well in capturing the essence of GT, imo, and it should do very well in recruiting the current college generation. We should make this our GT commercial during games. Maybe we could pay more to have a longer spot.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The quote "it is a bit rigorous AT TIMES" (if i heard it correctly)by one of the FB players was a jaw-dropper. Made me think the clip was NOT about GT. I guess times certainly do change...or maybe I was one of the dumber people there in my day. or C) all of the above.

If they told the complete truth about the academic rigors, it would not be such a great recruiting video.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Should change name to Georgia Institute of Humility because that is the first thing (and for many the last thing) it imposes on you.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Good video, really appealing to the international / non-Georgia student. (Note: I don't consider Atlanta to really be part of Georgia, whole different culture.)

How do you know they international. Anyone of them could have been from any part of GA, one even said he grew up 30 minutes away from campus.

I agree the video appeals to the diversity of the student body which is great. I wish the game environment was more diverse, I digress. I thought the video overall could have been more urgent but it's cool.

I could see this as a recruiting tool.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck

I know what you're saying, but I contest the claim of those people to being Georgia. Sure, Atlanta is unique and amazing for a lot of reasons. The city was perfused with leaders in the early days who saw industry and innovation as the only path forward for the South. GT's founding was a part of that. An unequaled economic base of black businesses and wealth grew up in Atlanta. In fact, as integration largely wiped out most black owned businesses (because separate and unequal left them at a severe disadvantage to white businesses) in the South in particular, Atlanta's community survived and continued to thrive. It also attracted a large and active Jewish community. More recently, it has helped attract and solidify a gay community. Little upstarts like Austin and Charlotte started building those things once they realized it was cool to be diverse and tolerant. Their business communities think that in no small part because they work their hardest to be like Atlanta.

By way of comparison, New Orleans has a much older cosmopolitanism, but the differences are instructive. New Orleans' cosmopolitanism is a culture first environment. Maybe that has to do with being a trade hub and port from the age of sail, maybe its just being a few hundred years older as a city. But I think the narrative New Orleans likes to spread about itself would note the contributions of constituent populations in terms of food and music. Chicago has some of that, but not nearly as much. Perhaps that has to do with there being less time to mingle working trains than ships? And the contrast only demonstrates how culturally impoverished New York is. But unlike all those places, Atlanta's narrative has an element of past and future. It's not just the nation's first (and arguably still most) politically and economically empowered black community- its the story of how that community is generating new wealth and leading the poor into the middle class. Every part of Atlanta's identity is as much about how they will change this place for the better as where they come from.

I think that comes from looking at slavery and plantation farming and seeing an economic and social death and realizing replacing it with industry is the only way forward. That same attitude exists in Macon and Savannah and Augusta. But more to the point, that insight is directly and uniquely Georgian.

Atlanta IS Georgia culture. Those other people are just Mississippians and carpet baggers who refuse to assimilate.