Georgia Tech @ Tennessee

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I know we’re GT fans but I saw a Tenn team not play very well on offense either and they still won by 13. I never felt like we were in the game. It’s going to be a long year on offense. We better start cutting to the basket better to get easy buckets if we want to win some games. Offense looks ugly to say the least.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I know we’re GT fans but I saw a Tenn team not play very well on offense either and they still won by 13. I never felt like we were in the game. It’s going to be a long year on offense. We better start cutting to the basket better to get easy buckets if we want to win some games. Offense looks ugly to say the least.
The shooting by GT has to get better as the season goes along:cigar:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Brandon Alston is the only guy playing like he's an ACC player for the first two games.

Everybody else plays like we have one first time assistant and another who was previously only an assistant for a mediocre mid-major as 2 of 3 assistants.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The positives

-Defense overall was pretty good. We have a lot of length at pretty much every position and we are pretty disciplined on that end with the expection of our bigs bring down their arms too often when trying for blocks leading to fouls.
- Alston had a good game. If he is going to play he has to be more aggressive than he was last year. It seemed like when we lost Jose he realized he had to make something happen. Need him to channel that earlier in the game though.
- Wright had a solid game. IMO he should start at the 4 until Cole realizes he can't be so timid on the offensive end. Wright could be a major disrupting force on the defensive end. I thought his 3 point shot looked smoother,and he had a nice turn around bank shot that I hope he continues to go to because even though it rimmed out it was smooth. Reminded me of Duncan (just that shot, not the entire game obviously)
- Banks looks like he adds another solid piece down low. Honestly, we might be better off just telling AD and Banks to play their game and not worry about fouls, and then deal with the issues later. Will be interesting to see how he develops as the year goes.
- AD understands what it seems like few others do on this team, and that's that you can't be afraid of making mistakes. He tries to make plays, and he has some nice moves. Needs to finish better.

The negatives
- Shooting. Good lord we couldn't throw it in the ocean today. This team has to be led by the guards shooting, and Jose/Devoe/Haywood were a combined 2-12 from 3. We rely so much on underclassmen shooting that we will have games like this. Need to hope this is just one of the bad ones and not the norm.
-Devoe. Just all of it. Let's forget he played in this game. But seriously, I did like that he didn't let the bad showing affect his defense though.
-Cole - to put it nicely cole was not very good. He's still too timid on the offensive end, and if he's going to play he has to realize that he has to add more on the offensive end.
- Refs/Fouls. We had some silly fouls. We also had some stupid ones called on us. Jose especially has to not take too many chances on defense. Let Gueye/Banks/Ogbonda foul out cleaning up your mess.

-Overall thoughts.

We were competitive but clearly outmatched against a team projected to be in the top 5 on the road. Don't let the fact that the game was ugly obscure the fact that we looked pretty good defensively. We'll have to improve as the year goes on, but when you look at how many underclassmen we are relying on, that was always going to be the case. I think we are in a decent starting place this year with our defense. If our young guys can mature quickly, find their stroke, and start to gel as a team, we could be a solid team.

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
The positives

-Defense overall was pretty good. We have a lot of length at pretty much every position and we are pretty disciplined on that end with the expection of our bigs bring down their arms too often when trying for blocks leading to fouls.
- Alston had a good game. If he is going to play he has to be more aggressive than he was last year. It seemed like when we lost Jose he realized he had to make something happen. Need him to channel that earlier in the game though.
- Wright had a solid game. IMO he should start at the 4 until Cole realizes he can't be so timid on the offensive end. Wright could be a major disrupting force on the defensive end. I thought his 3 point shot looked smoother,and he had a nice turn around bank shot that I hope he continues to go to because even though it rimmed out it was smooth. Reminded me of Duncan (just that shot, not the entire game obviously)
- Banks looks like he adds another solid piece down low. Honestly, we might be better off just telling AD and Banks to play their game and not worry about fouls, and then deal with the issues later. Will be interesting to see how he develops as the year goes.
- AD understands what it seems like few others do on this team, and that's that you can't be afraid of making mistakes. He tries to make plays, and he has some nice moves. Needs to finish better.

-Overall thoughts.

We were competitive but clearly outmatched against a team projected to be in the top 5 on the road. Don't let the fact that the game was ugly obscure the fact that we looked pretty good defensively. We'll have to improve as the year goes on, but when you look at how many underclassmen we are relying on, that was always going to be the case. I think we are in a decent starting place this year with our defense. If our young guys can mature quickly, find their stroke, and start to gel as a team, we could be a solid team.

Post of the night!! Great analysis with thought put into it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Got a lot better regarding turnovers. .
Didn't shoot worth a bucket of spit...
Beat the spread...

May not be as rough of a season as expected, then again, maybe it will be.

Cls66

Georgia Tech Fan
Tenn’s whole team are returning players. They must be feeling pretty bad that they could not blow GT away.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
1 game into the season hahaha

Isn't it the second game? And I also was thinking this after we lost to Duke in football and may have even typed it out loud.

Sorry guys & gals, it is as it is.

I'll follow basketball through y'all. Pastner is my favorite coach. I really hope the team does take off under him. While others may not, I give him a bit of a pass for this year's recruiting based on his fraudulent legal problems.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Isn't it the second game? And I also was thinking this after we lost to Duke in football and may have even typed it out loud.

I'll follow basketball through y'all. Pastner is my favorite coach. I really hope the team does take off under him. While others may not, I give him a bit of a pass for this year's recruiting based on his fraudulent legal problems.
I think Pastner will eventually turn GT around and he just needs time to do it(y)

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

He’s a likeable dude. I give him a pass also. My issues have moved on to others.

The funny thing is that we played who we should emulate (imitate?) last night. I think Red already said this. Rick Barnes has made UT a good program through defense, experience and good player fit recruiting.