Article Georgia Tech signee Eric Singleton achieving greatness on track

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We're getting a burner...

"According to Mile Split Georgia, an online track and field platform, Singleton’s best in the 100 dropped from 10.68 (wind-aided) seconds to 10.32 this season at Alexander’s region meet. He lowered his top 200 time from 21.91 as a junior to 20.72 this year. His 400 best fell from 49.01 last year to 46.21 this year."

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
That is STUPID fast. I ran a 12 second flat 100 at my small highschool, which was enough to smoke most of my friends. This dude would make that look like nursing home B team

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
We had a similar discussion on Eric's recruiting thread. According to the article, he also ran a 10.2(!) in one race but it doesn't count because the meet lacked a wind speed gauge. That's approaching Tyreek Hill territory.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Damn that's a sub 9.5 100yd. About a 4.35 40.
Not sure it translates like that. I'm not a track expert, but just from personal observation that fast of a 100m speed has to be mostly from top end speed. Watching the state finals a couple of years, I could notice that some guys in the 100m would get a 1 to 2 step lead at the very beginning, but lose it at about 30m. If you see a 10 yard split for this guy, you could estimate how much is quickness at takeoff and how much is top end speed.

Regardless with a 100m time like that, his top end speed is fast enough that if he gets the ball and gets by the corner nobody would be able to catch him. Even a safety with a decent angle on him would have problems catching up.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Back in the early days of air raid- they would put 2 guys on deep route every play. They even got baylor track guys to play in second half. They caught a good number of TD s againt worn out back up dbs.

Can this guy play a similar role on our fb team .??

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
If he has any wiggle on the football field, look out. He could be electric like Jaylen Waddle or Tyreek Hill.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not sure it translates like that. I'm not a track expert, but just from personal observation that fast of a 100m speed has to be mostly from top end speed. Watching the state finals a couple of years, I could notice that some guys in the 100m would get a 1 to 2 step lead at the very beginning, but lose it at about 30m. If you see a 10 yard split for this guy, you could estimate how much is quickness at takeoff and how much is top end speed.

Regardless with a 100m time like that, his top end speed is fast enough that if he gets the ball and gets by the corner nobody would be able to catch him. Even a safety with a decent angle on him would have problems catching up.
This is a good point. You don't need a lot of separation if the DB cannot close the gap.

I think the 100m translates pretty well to 100 yards, but very poorly to 40 yards. Quickness is especially important in football and the 40 shows that better than the 100.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
His speed reminds me of Broderick Snoddy. He set the GT record for indoor track 60m and ran the 100m in the 10.4 range. I remember him getting around the corner as an AB and he was able to get serious yardage fast. Agree with comments above that he will need to develop his footwork and his quickness/burst is also important because the defense rarely gives you an unimpeded lane to run in.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
His speed reminds me of Broderick Snoddy. He set the GT record for indoor track 60m and ran the 100m in the 10.4 range. I remember him getting around the corner as an AB and he was able to get serious yardage fast. Agree with comments above that he will need to develop his footwork and his quickness/burst is also important because the defense rarely gives you an unimpeded lane to run in.

Cottrell was similar in my opinion. I haven't seen film and don't know if Singleton i quick or has mainly straight line speed, but that kind of speed is a positive either way. For an AB who couldn't cut very fast, but had very good speed, the toss sweep and getting vertical before a 3O pitch allowed them to utilize their strength. For a WR, they could run flys, slants, and bubble screens to get the same effect.

I just want to make sure that people don't take my previous post as negative. Singleton has elite speed. If the coaches put him into the right situations, he could do some amazing things for GT.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Remember when Justin Thomas challenged him to a race in practice. It was a good leadership tactic. Justin won the race and won respect from the team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

A healthy Jonathan Dwyer in the open field is still the most impressive GT RB in the open field for me. He was also a track athlete in HS. He had that sprinters ability to make it look effortless passing by defenders. Dwyer could erase angles on the edge (saw it a LOT with the speed option and BB toss), but it was his ability in the open field 20-30 yards pas the LOS that made him special when he was in his prime. His fastest time in the 100m was 10.89 in HS.