Georgia Tech Set to Pay Temple $2.5 Million for Coach Collins Buyout

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m sure this was negotiated in the contract with Collins. There’s no way we just paid this for Collins.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This is a little clip from a great article in today's AJC ... increasing our Brand, changing the mentality !!

“We both had a smile on our face,” Swilling said “He was glad to see me and I was very glad to see him, just for what he’s going to bring to us – NFL-style offense, NFL-style defense. Just by saying that, with our academics, with what he’s going to bring, downtown Atlanta, Atlanta, Ga., job market, all that. Any kid that wouldn’t want to play at Georgia Tech would be crazy now. You can get it all.”

herb

Helluva Engineer
It appears Temple has finally been able to solve the age old equation where ? = package the underwear with head coaches who want to be elsewhere
underpants-gnomes.jpg

Scubapro

Banned
Granted I wish folks that had the ability to make a difference had done so, but I think it’s a reach to call them A Holes for waiting until there was something they wanted to plunk down a huge lump of cash on. Also, did MBoob even ask or is this just the early signs of Stansbury making his mark?
Granted. But the big donor contributors are throwing money at something that cant and will not make a difference. If that money had been used for recruiting four years ago things would most likely be different. To me its the difference between being a politician and a statesman. They are making donations based upon their personal feeling rather than what would be best for the GTAA.
That said....all these guys are Tech guys now and I hope they succeed above all expectations. But from what I have seen, Patenaude is milk toast.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I've been saying that for years. GT is not destitute, and certainly not as destitute as some on here like to scream when certain issues arise.

It's just a matter of whether GT feels the need to spend the money. CPJ got shafted during the Sasquatch years, but he was certainly provided the things he wanted (for the most part) when asked. I mean, the guy got an indoor practice facility before Mark Richt and UGA...in a major city.

Then why didn’t we have more money to hire staff? More folks to assist recruiting?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Then why didn’t we have more money to hire staff? More folks to assist recruiting?
If I had to guess the AD was not crazy about CPJ and just wanted him to play his time out . But still spending money to upgrade things like the locker room. I DO NOT know if this is the case but just what I think I would do if I was him

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If I had to guess the AD was not crazy about CPJ and just wanted him to play his time out . But still spending money to upgrade things like the locker room. I DO NOT know if this is the case but just what I think I would do if I was him

Someone else wrote it earlier (in terms more blunt than I did), and I also touched on it a bit with the "diminishing returns" post, but CPJ's tenure got to the point where some donors and some within the department thought giving more money to him wasn't going to return what they wanted. They felt like CPJ took the program as far as he could. They weren't going to flat out stop funding him to the detriment of GT football like Sasquatch almost did, but they also were not going to stroke big checks toward some of the things CPJ wanted.

Stuff like the weight room, better athletic facilities, and coaches endowments are going to live on past CPJ and past even CGC. Those are capital improvements that will return dividends no matter who the players, coaches, or AD is, and has to be done. Other things are relative to the coaching staff, and therefore it was a business decision as to whether giving that money would have returned a higher ROI than what was put in.

A few have mentioned that some donors have started to give again and other donors have upped their contributions since CGC was hired. Unfortunately, CGC is the benefactor of a lot of things CPJ accomplished and was working towards. The same will happen to CGC if he's lucky enough to be here for 5+ years...the next coach always gets what the previous coach wanted.