Georgia Tech Recruiting 2017 to present & Roster Managment

GTFLETCH

Banned
Ok lets take a look at Coach Collins roster before current players transfer... (not saying folks are going to but it seems every year at Georgia Tech a few players leave) With the Current Class (2020) at 23 and the 3 transfers who had to sit (Clayton, Allen, Ezzard) Coach Collins hits the number 85 spot on! 2017 has 19, 2018 has 18, 2019 has 21, 2020 has 23 and four transfers equals 85.

Sometimes it comes down to coaching. Pulling for Coach Collins all the way, but now is the time to quit with the excuses and just start coaching. Collins hasn’t shown me anything positive as a game day head coach yet, but maybe next year he can get back to the Georgia Tech historic avg of 7 wins and change my mind!

2017 Class

Enrollees (24) {Still with team 19 lost 5 [Williams, Bonds, Alston, Roof, Tufele]}
247 Rank: 48th .83
Rivals Rank: 41st

ESPN Four Stars
Bruce Jordan-Swilling (ESPN top 300)
Tre Swilling (ESPN top 300)
Jaquan Henderson
Jaytlin Askew

247 Four Stars
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Rivals Four Stars
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Tre Swilling
Kaleb Oliver

Gentry Bonds (Left team when Coach Collins Era Started)

2018 Class
Enrollees (21) {Still with team 18 lost 3 [Jackson, McKeehan, Whatley]}
247 Rank: 44th .83

ESPN Four Stars
James Graham
T.K. Chimedza

247 Four Stars
James Graham
Jaylon King
Rivals Four Stars
James Graham
Jaylon King
Justice Dingle

2019 Class
Enrollees (22) {Still with team 21 lost 1 [Burnett]}
247 Rank: 51st .85
Rivals Rank: 43rd

ESPN Four Stars
Wesley Walker
247 Four Stars
Jamious Griffin
Rivals Four Stars
Jamious Griffin
Jordan Yates

2019 Transfer Class

ESPN Four Stars
Myles Sims (ESPN top 300) (played in 2019)
Derrik Allen (ESPN top 300) (Sat in 2019 to play in 2020)
Marquez Ezzard (ESPN top 300) (Sat in 2019 to play in 2020)
Antonneous Clayton (ESPN top 300) (Sat in 2019 to play in 2020)
247 Four Stars
Myles Sims
Derrik Allen
Marquez Ezzard
Antonneous Clayton

Rivals Five Star
Antonneous Clayton
Rivals Four Stars
Myles Sims
Derrik Allen
Marquez Ezzard

2020 Class
Hard Commits (23)
247 Rank: 25th .86
Rivals Rank: 23rd

ESPN Four Stars
Miles Brooks (ESPN top 300)
Bryce Gowdy
247 Four Stars
Miles Brooks
Bryce Gowdy
Jahmyr Gibbs

Rivals Four Stars
Miles Brooks
Bryce Gowdy

2021 Class
Hard Commits (1)
247 Rank: 46th

ESPN Four Stars
247 Four Stars
Rivals Four Stars

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Looks like we’re set to have 17 wr’s, 14 de’s, and 19 db’s on the 2020 scholarship roster. Anyone with any insight on how we manage these positions?

Gruden used to do this alot back in the day with the Bucs with his personnel iirc... look for a lot of spider y 2 banana and frankenberry xbox 460 formations next year. Going to wear out the scoreboard next year.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Loosk Like Gibbs is getting a hard puch from Florida...If Coach Collins and keep him I would say our recruiting would have really improved....

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Google "Joe Lee Dunn defense playbook"
3 DLs, 2 CBs, 6 Ss...... Slants upfront, Blitz 4 or 5 of your Ss on every play...nobody takes on blockers head-on....No zone pass coverage...man always
Joe Lee, ole' Columbus, GA boy, was light years ahead of his time.....

I don't know that I ever saw a defensive coordinator wearing saddle shoes on the sidelines, with no socks most of the time. He would slant, blitz, and do all kinds of crazy stuff. I guess he felt he had to do that with what he was working with at Mississippi State and Ole Miss.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
3 DLs, 2 CBs, 6 Ss...... Slants upfront, Blitz 4 or 5 of your Ss on every play...nobody takes on blockers head-on....No zone pass coverage...man always
Celina 10-1 defense won lots of texas hs state championship.

Early in the yeasr we effectively did run the 2 -1-8 on long yardage situations.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ok lets take a look at Coach Collins roster before current players transfer... (not saying folks are going to but it seems every year at Georgia Tech a few players leave) With the Current Class (2020) at 23 and the 3 transfers who had to sit (Clayton, Allen, Ezzard) Coach Collins hits the number 85 spot on! 2017 has 19, 2018 has 18, 2019 has 21, 2020 has 23 and four transfers equals 85.

Sometimes it comes down to coaching. Pulling for Coach Collins all the way, but now is the time to quit with the excuses and just start coaching. Collins hasn’t shown me anything positive as a game day head coach yet, but maybe next year he can get back to the Georgia Tech historic avg of 7 wins and change my mind!

2017 Class

Enrollees (24) {Still with team 19 lost 5 [Williams, Bonds, Alston, Roof, Tufele]}
247 Rank: 48th .83

ESPN Four Stars
Bruce Jordan-Swilling (ESPN top 300)
Tre Swilling (ESPN top 300)
Jaquan Henderson
Jaytlin Askew

247 Four Stars
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Rivals Four Stars
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Tre Swilling
Kaleb Oliver

Gentry Bonds (Left team when Coach Collins Era Started)

2018 Class
Enrollees (21) {Still with team 18 lost 3 [Jackson, McKeehan, Whatley]}
247 Rank: 44th .83

ESPN Four Stars
James Graham
T.K. Chimedza

247 Four Stars
James Graham
Jaylon King
Rivals Four Stars
James Graham
Jaylon King
Justice Dingle

2019 Class
Enrollees (22) {Still with team 21 lost 1 [Burnett]}
247 Rank: 51st .85

ESPN Four Stars
Wesley Walker
247 Four Stars
Jamious Griffin
Rivals Four Stars
Jamious Griffin
Jordan Yates

2019 Transfer Class

ESPN Four Stars
Myles Sims (ESPN top 300) (played in 2019)
Derrik Allen (ESPN top 300) (Sat in 2019 to play in 2020)
Marquez Ezzard (ESPN top 300) (Sat in 2019 to play in 2020)
Antonneous Clayton (ESPN top 300) (Sat in 2019 to play in 2020)
247 Four Stars
Myles Sims
Derrik Allen
Marquez Ezzard
Antonneous Clayton

Rivals Five Star
Antonneous Clayton
Rivals Four Stars
Myles Sims
Derrik Allen
Marquez Ezzard

2020 Class
Hard Commits (23)
247 Rank: 25th .86
Rivals Rank: 23rd

ESPN Four Stars
Miles Brooks (ESPN top 300)
Bryce Gowdy
247 Four Stars
Miles Brooks
Bryce Gowdy
Jahmyr Gibbs

Rivals Four Stars
Miles Brooks
Bryce Gowdy

2021 Class
Hard Commits (1)
247 Rank: 46th

ESPN Four Stars
247 Four Stars

Rivals Four Stars

Coach Collins, Coach Key, and Coach Coleman need to recruit linemen until they run out of scholarships for both this year and next. Nothing else matters. Quarterbacks? Nice to have but will trade for a bona fide four star defensive tackle. Wide receivers and running backs? Dime a dozen but give me offensive guards and tackles who want to hit somebody. Defensive backs? Please, we are running out of our ears with them. Linebackers, Defensive linemen and Offensive linemen should be priority numbers 1, 2 , and 3. IMHO Not necessarily in the above order. Prefer linemen on both sides of the ball to linebackers but we need them too.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Coach Collins, Coach Key, and Coach Coleman need to recruit linemen until they run out of scholarships for both this year and next. Nothing else matters. Quarterbacks? Nice to have but will trade for a bona fide four star defensive tackle. Wide receivers and running backs? Dime a dozen but give me offensive guards and tackles who want to hit somebody. Defensive backs? Please, we are running out of our ears with them. Linebackers, Defensive linemen and Offensive linemen should be priority numbers 1, 2 , and 3. IMHO Not necessarily in the above order. Prefer linemen on both sides of the ball to linebackers but we need them too.
AMEN !!

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know that I ever saw a defensive coordinator wearing saddle shoes on the sidelines, with no socks most of the time. He would slant, blitz, and do all kinds of crazy stuff. I guess he felt he had to do that with what he was working with at Mississippi State and Ole Miss.

"...he felt he had to do that with what he was working with at Mississippi State ..." AMEN and pass the offering plate....

When you are not Alabama or UGa w/10 5-star OL guys, when you aren't LSU and Clemson with 10 5-star DL guys, you scheme for what you DO have....and in 1998 (last time Miss State won SEC West) Joe Lee went all in... on every damn play.....slant your down guys/use speed to create negative plays/ forget about taking on blockers/ run past them/ accept the fact that you will (100% certainly will) give up big plays...we got a ton of DBs and tweeners...lets play 3-8 defense!!! Or even, a 2-9!

GT will NEVER sign enough big-time DL guys....NEVER EVER...because, when you are 6'4" 280# as a 15 yr old, you know you are going to play college FB somewhere ...so you stop taking the HS MATH required to just squeak by get by at GT....I'm not talking about taking Algebra II and pre-Calculus... I'm telling you these sure-fire DI DL guys don't take arithmetic after 9th grade.....

So, let's go Full Joe Lee.... LOL...just kidding...nobody has that kind of guts....

"...he felt he had to do that with what he was working with at Mississippi State ..." AMEN and pass the offering plate....

When you are not Alabama or UGa w/10 5-star OL guys, when you aren't LSU and Clemson with 10 5-star DL guys, you scheme for what you DO have....and in 1998 (last time Miss State won SEC West) Joe Lee went all in... on every damn play.....slant your down guys/use speed to create negative plays/ forget about taking on blockers/ run past them/ accept the fact that you will (100% certainly will) give up big plays...we got a ton of DBs and tweeners...lets play 3-8 defense!!! Or even, a 2-9!

GT will NEVER sign enough big-time DL guys....NEVER EVER...because, when you are 6'4" 280# as a 15 yr old, you know you are going to play college FB somewhere ...so you stop taking the HS MATH required to just squeak by get by at GT....I'm not talking about taking Algebra II and pre-Calculus... I'm telling you these sure-fire DI DL guys don't take arithmetic after 9th grade.....

So, let's go Full Joe Lee.... LOL...just kidding...nobody has that kind of guts....

Something I have been saying to this group for years. DL has always been the weak spot for Tech.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Always wanted to see PJ and Joe Lee Dunn on the same sideline. Would have been an opposing coach's nightmare week of prep. Two rednecks dialing it up!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

When I joined swarm, I advocated for this type defense to complement our Offense. I felt it would be very good in the summer part of the season. The defense either gets them to punt or score so our run heavy offense can grind down thier defense. Until we have a formidable offense I am not sure we can make a case for this. The air raid teams did much better after they became aggressive on defense.

As to roster - we are set up well with the defensive talent.
Adding speed at wr ( verse blocking) and a passing qb and we could give it a go.