Georgia Tech Plans New Sports Broadcasting Facility

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Saw this on my LinkedIn feed today. Unfortunately, I do not have a subscription to the Atlanta Business Chronicle and cannot watch the video for more details, but I have not been able to find anything else about this on the internet so I figured I would post the link here. From the title, we will be dropping $10m on the studio and from the numbers I have seen that other ACC schools are spending, this puts us up at the top of the list. If anyone else has any more info, please let us know.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/01/08/georgia-tech-plans-new-10-million-sports.html

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia Tech is planning a new $10 million sports broadcasting facility.

The school wants to convert an existing administration building into a high-definition production facility for events to be broadcast on ESPN’s Atlantic Coast Conference (“ACC”) Network.

The total estimated project cost of $10 million would be funded by the Georgia Tech Athletic Association. The project is scheduled to be voted on by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia at its Jan. 11 meeting.

The project would occur in three phases: (1) demolition of existing interior walls to allow space fit-up for a central production facility; (2) installation of program production equipment and infrastructure; and (3) development of a new fiber optic infrastructure between the central production facility and Georgia Tech's sports venues. The high-definition production facility would include control rooms, a small production studio, support spaces and staff offices. The new fiber optic infrastructure would support productions originating from the sports venues and produced in the facility’s control rooms.

"Completion of this project would allow [Georgia Tech] to meet the ACC’s requirement to have production facilities on-site and would allow for sharing of revenues generated from the ACC’s contract with ESPN," notes the Board of Regents' agenda.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
FIFY. Wouldn't want the academic snobs to attack you. :)

Actually, audio engineering and broadcast engineering as a branch of of electrical and computer, with a tie into the business school could lead to a version of a sports broadcasting degree that could qualify someone to work either behind or infront of the camera. Would be a very good sell to recruits with Roddy Jones probably able to put a spin on it by mentioning it whenever he had the chance to say " he wishes he had the chance to take it."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Actually, audio engineering and broadcast engineering as a branch of of electrical and computer, with a tie into the business school could lead to a version of a sports broadcasting degree that could qualify someone to work either behind or infront of the camera. Would be a very good sell to recruits with Roddy Jones probably able to put a spin on it by mentioning it whenever he had the chance to say " he wishes he had the chance to take it."

Oh, I'm all for whatever expands our course offerings and attracts SAs that we would not normally attract.

I was just messing with some of our academic elitists.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not only that, but Georgia is now one of the premier sites for all kinds of film production in the world. My guess is that if Tech were to propose a broadcasting and production program it would be approved in a minute or less. There would be a whole lot of entertainment and sports types lining up to testify, believe me.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not only that, but Georgia is now one of the premier sites for all kinds of film production in the world. My guess is that if Tech were to propose a broadcasting and production program it would be approved in a minute or less. There would be a whole lot of entertainment and sports types lining up to testify, believe me.
Yea, Atlanta is a great place, but can the BOR invest extra above the GTAA to make it muli purpose. ?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Been in the works...

The big change comes when the cable channel finally launches, and preparing for that requires some serious financial investments by the schools. Cleary said a goal is for the schools to each eventually have their own control rooms, so those big production trucks mostly wouldn't be needed for TV broadcasts. The transformation has already begun at several schools:

North Carolina State is spending $6 million in part to turn a space inside its football headquarters — including ex-coach Chuck Amato's old racquetball court — into a broadcast and production center, complete with a studio and control rooms for producing gameday video and programming for the channel.

— As part of its upgrades to Joel Coliseum, Wake Forest is building multiple control rooms so it won't need those production trucks.

Florida State is adding two control rooms, to produce content for both the network and the new video scoreboard, and is looking to hire a full-time engineer.

— Built into Duke's new five-story, 90,000-square-foot tower of luxury suites at the football stadium is room for production facilities for both the school's online Blue Devil Network and the ACC's. More than $10 million was spent on projects related to video production, including infrastructure, wiring, equipment and a video scoreboard that debuted last year, Duke deputy athletic director Mike Cragg said.

Link
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...rations-now-upcoming-acc-2016aug31-story.html

GTFLETCH

Banned
UNC Launching $10 Million Plan to Prepare for ACC Network
Project aims to have school ready for TV channel's debut in 2019.

The school anticipates spending about $4 million in construction, $4 million in equipment, and another $2 million in additional staffing. UNC got approval from the N.C. General Assembly to borrow the money, which will be repaid from a portion of the revenue generated by the ESPN-affiliated cable network. Tentative plans call for a two-story building with control rooms, a studio, a technical operations center, and audio mixing booths. The second floor would have office space, editing capabilities, and meeting rooms.

Link
https://scout.com/college/north-car...ion-Plan-to-Prepare-for-ACC-Network-110587896

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My daughter would love to go to GT if they had that degree. Unfortunately they don’t. Even more unfortunate- she is having to look elsewhere, both in state and out of state.
I'm betting that she won't have long to wait. Dang near every school in the state, public and private, is gearing up to take advantage of the opportunities in production now available here in Georgia. She can always transfer back in later.

GTFLETCH

Banned
When the ACC Network was first announced, ESPN said they wanted all ACC schools operational a year before August 2019 network launch. That's this August, a mere 5 months away! Notice the date - March 7th, 2018? That was just 3 weeks ago. GT is just getting approval! Seems like it will be tough for them to be ready in 5 months...

From Link:
The $10 million, 6,350-foot facility will be located on Georgia Tech's campus at the corner of Fowler Street and 8th Street, adjacent to McCamish Pavilion. It will be housed in currently vacant buildings that will be retrofit to meet production demands associated with the ACC Network, which is set to launch in 2019.

Link
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/genrel/030718aaa.html

When the ACC Network was first announced, ESPN said they wanted all ACC schools operational a year before August 2019 network launch. That's this August, a mere 5 months away! Notice the date - March 7th, 2018? That was just 3 weeks ago. GT is just getting approval! Seems like it will be tough for them to be ready in 5 months...

From Link:
The $10 million, 6,350-foot facility will be located on Georgia Tech's campus at the corner of Fowler Street and 8th Street, adjacent to McCamish Pavilion. It will be housed in currently vacant buildings that will be retrofit to meet production demands associated with the ACC Network, which is set to launch in 2019.

Link
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/genrel/030718aaa.html
I wonder what the actual BOR vote tally was. I highly doubt that it was unanimous. If it indeed was not, that should tell everyone just how effed up the BOR is.