Georgia Tech (PK) vs Duke

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Like most games, it'll likely come down to Special Teams and turnovers. Therefore we must win the turnover battle.

Our turnover margin on the year is -1.0/game.

The only team worse than us that we've played thus far is Louisville, who comes in at -1.3/game.

Duke is bottom 6 in all of CFB at -1.4/game.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I never thought we would win five ACC games. I thought we would win one more than we won last year but this is not a good team right now. How will they handle coming off a long layoff? Tech needs to beat this team. Duke, for the first time in quite a while, just does not have anyone that stands out on offense and makes you go "We have to stop that guy".
Isn't that what we as Tech fans are accustomed to, "what Tech team will show up"?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This game should be a win for us. BUT we haven't played football in a month. If we cannot script a scoring drive in our first possession then I question our skill set haha. We had a month to script and plan for an opening drive score.

Defense has had ample of time to get healthy and to scheme against a sorry Duke team.

This SHOULD be a 35-20 type win for us. But will it be? haha no. We probably squeak out a 3 point win some how.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
This game should be a win for us. BUT we haven't played football in a month. If we cannot script a scoring drive in our first possession then I question our skill set haha. We had a month to script and plan for an opening drive score.

Defense has had ample of time to get healthy and to scheme against a sorry Duke team.

This SHOULD be a 35-20 type win for us. But will it be? haha no. We probably squeak out a 3 point win some how.
I think you are spot on, with one exception - we lose a 3 point game due to ridiculously inept FG kicking. Our improvement ( or lack thereof) in all phases this year has been the most disappointing. More so than even the win total.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think you are spot on, with one exception - we lose a 3 point game due to ridiculously inept FG kicking. Our improvement ( or lack thereof) in all phases this year has been the most disappointing. More so than even the win total.
HAHA Agreed with that. And it's even more pathetic because it's not even really on the kicker. It is mostly upperclassmen OL players that cannot figure out how to BLOCK. They all should be ashamed of themselves.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Based on past games, against teams we should have( or at the time thought we should have -SU and BC) beaten, we will come out rusty and flat, become confused because Cutcliffe has developed an offensive scheme we had not prepared for , and we will be in a 2 TD hole at the half. Then we will abandon our running game in the 2nd half that was working pretty well in the first half- throw a couple of picks- claw our way back to a tie , then lose on the late FG. Sound about right ??

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I am hoping this time off has helped us clean up some of our issues. If we play a clean game we should beat Duke. We cannot turn the ball over. Hopefully we can lean more on our running game.

For the sake of our young team I hope we can play the rest of our schedule. These young guys need experience. That will help going into next year. Some members of the 2020 recruiting class were just starting to get their first snaps.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping this time off has helped us clean up some of our issues. If we play a clean game we should beat Duke. We cannot turn the ball over. Hopefully we can lean more on our running game.

For the sake of our young team I hope we can play the rest of our schedule. These young guys need experience. That will help going into next year. Some members of the 2020 recruiting class were just starting to get their first snaps.
Agreed. But I am tired of hearing the word " elite" in any description of this team, at this time. SURE, we want to be playing at an elite level - what team doesn't. But, and it's a big but, are we making progress on the field during an actual game - not in the weight room or at practice- but where it is noticeable when it really counts ?

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
...and Liberty beat Syracuse by 17.

Did you know that Liberty was ranked and had 2 ACC wins? Not sure what NC State or Liberty’s historic win totals have to do with a 6-3 NC State playing a 1-8 Syracuse team. Other than our game and BC, Syracuse has lost every game by double digits. Additionally, Louisville just beat them by 30.

Also, NC State technically blocked that field goal.
Liberty has Hugh Freeze this year. he's a force to be reckoned with and underrated as a coach imo

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched three Duke games: Virginia, Charlotte, and BC. They are not a good team especially on offense. Quarterback Brice is slow, he is prone to turnovers and holds the ball too long. His receivers struggle to get separation. He has a very good tight end though. The only place I see them having an advantage is in the defensive line. Not great but serviceable. and maybe linebackers. Brice has twice as many interceptions as TDs. I think it is 14 to 7. Anyway, I think we can beat them. The question is how will we play coming off a long layoff? They looked pretty bad against UNC last time out. Both teams need a win. A shaky vote for the Jackets because we have more playmakers at quarterback, running back, and receivers. The only way they win is to get turnovers and pressure Sims, which could happen, but I don't really think so. They have played one more game than we have. Does that matter? It might considering how long it has been since we played but its been, what? three weeks since they played last. In all three games I watched, one common thread was an inability of Duke to make first downs when they needed them. Brice simply cannot make plays by himself. But we will see. Should be a good matchup.
I agree. The only thing that concerns me is that we WILL get outcoached. We will see if that matters in the end. If we win the turnover battle, it won't matter much.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree. The only thing that concerns me is that we WILL get outcoached. We will see if that matters in the end. If we win the turnover battle, it won't matter much.
The Virginia game was illuminating. The Duke quarterback committed back to back turnovers which led to Virginia scores. The Virginia quarterback made more plays. It was that simple. Duke is a team that has to move the ball because the defense gets worn out. Even against Charlotte, Duke had a big lead in the second half and started going three and out which resulted in a tighter score than it should have been. They can put pressure on the other quarterback, I will give them that.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree that we will have worse coaching clock management. But we have more starting talent when measured by recruiting ranking. Just inexperienced.

Game doesn't matter except for getting experience and a win for confidence.

I have no expectation for elite play by either team.