Georgia Tech @ Miami, 12pm Saturday February 20th

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

Um what? If you're talking about Brooks, the announcers were focusing on his matchup against Moses not Saba most of the night considering Saba didn't get in until 5 minutes left. Even then they were talking out their backside because Brooks was 2-8 with 2 rebounds and a non factor except for the refs taking pity on Miami and calling some soft as Charmin fouls to put him on the line.

Saba's already 7-1 250. His strength isn't the issue. He just needs some experience at this level learning to use it against college players.

Yep - what was it - 22 free throw attempts for them and 4 for us? LOL. And we were the ones up 30 points.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
The model for Saba is Huff at UVA. Long and able to handle the ball and stretch the floor. Recognize that the Huff you see now is a fifth year senior and he didn't really get minutes till his Jr year. Looking at Saba it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't take the same for him to build his body and get quicker
I said that exact same thing to my son yesterday.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Probably. Mind telling me what you think Brooks did in the 5 minutes Saba got into the game? Must have just been brutal to say Saba couldn't even guard him.

I didn't say "couldn't even guard him" but if that is your take so be it. I said watch him try to guard him and you will see the issues of strength, footspeed (and explosiveness though I don't think he will ever be anywhere near as explosive as say Moses). I don't care if the Miami kid scored 0 or 20 in the last 5 min - point would be the same.

He is playing behind Howard - and IMHO the difference is Howard is a lot closer to an ACC 5 with regard to strength and with that ability to guard in the post - recognizing he isn't great at it yet either. Saba IMHO has a higher ceiling than Howard given his ball skills/shooting but the first question is who can he guard and he ain't there yet for reasons of strength and footspeed. Beyond that simply agree to disagree.

And Slug I hope you are right but I personally will be surprised if 3 months or one offseason is all that is required. But I do believe he will be a lot better next year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say "couldn't even guard him" but if that is your take so be it.

You said he didn't have the strength to even really guard him.

I don't care if the Miami kid scored 0 or 20 in the last 5 min - point would be the same.

So you don't care if the miami kid actually did anything but still want to point to that match up and pretend that Saba was abused and it shows he's multiple years away from being strong enough to play? Brooks is a redshirt senior who if he so outclassed Saba in terms of strength you would think he'd be able to get at least a bucket on him.

Saba has issues with his footspeed (and those are overblown). Strength wise he is fine. His biggest issue is experience and adjusting his game to this level, which makes sense because he's a freshman who hasn't played much.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well you and I are seeing different games Saba may weigh 250 but he does not have the strength yet to play the 5 Or the foot speed. Watch him try to guard and you will see it.

On the other side, I think he has a high ceiling with his ball skills and shot, just will take time to get there

His strength is definitely an issue...more specifically, his upper body strength. Saw it the few minutes he had against other teams as well. He gets bodied out of position pretty easily.

Strength will come in time. He's got a good thick base for a 7+ footer, but you can tell his upper body isn't as developed as his lower body. As you alluded to, his skillset is there and that's a harder part of the game to develop...and he already has it.

LOTS to work with there. Earlier in the season, you saw him take on defenders off the dribble. This game we saw glimpses of his passing. As a GT fan, how can you not be excited for the potential Gigi has?! Reminds me a LOT of how we saw glimpses of Moses ability in spurts his first two seasons. We had to live through some frustrations, or growing pains, but the end product was definitely worth it.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You said he didn't have the strength to even really guard him.

So you don't care if the miami kid actually did anything but still want to point to that match up and pretend that Saba was abused and it shows he's multiple years away from being strong enough to play? Brooks is a redshirt senior who if he so outclassed Saba in terms of strength you would think he'd be able to get at least a bucket on him.

Saba has issues with his footspeed (and those are overblown). Strength wise he is fine. His biggest issue is experience and adjusting his game to this level, which makes sense because he's a freshman who hasn't played much.
I don't know why you are so focused on things like "abused" and the like. And what Miami did in the last 5 min of a beat down isn't relevant. Weird take but whatever.

Saba is not playing for a reason and I don't even really think it is that controversial or much of a "bad" comment to point out that he doesn't have the strength or footspeed to play at an ACC level yet. FWIW most bigs don't coming into the league generally outside of the ones only stopping by for a cup of coffee. I think I have repeatedly said I think he will be fine and he has all the tools you want for a stretch 5 sort of center. Whether it takes one year or two isn't the most relevent though I do think it will be his JR year before he is a mainstay. Could be wrong - and hope I am. Again, though I don't think that is an outlandish hot take or anything like that. Sorry it bothers you so much but again I don't think it is that outlandish.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why you are so focused on things like "abused" and the like. And what Miami did in the last 5 min of a beat down isn't relevant. Weird take but whatever.

What? You were the one that said "if you watched Saba try and guard the Miami center yesterday, it was obvious he didn't have the strength to bang with him or even really guard him." Copy and pasted quote. But now what Miami did in the last 5 minutes when Saba was in the game isn't relevant?

It's not about it being a hot take or outlandish. It's just not one that is supported by what actually happened yesterday.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say "couldn't even guard him" but if that is your take so be it. I said watch him try to guard him and you will see the issues of strength, footspeed (and explosiveness though I don't think he will ever be anywhere near as explosive as say Moses). I don't care if the Miami kid scored 0 or 20 in the last 5 min - point would be the same.

He is playing behind Howard - and IMHO the difference is Howard is a lot closer to an ACC 5 with regard to strength and with that ability to guard in the post - recognizing he isn't great at it yet either. Saba IMHO has a higher ceiling than Howard given his ball skills/shooting but the first question is who can he guard and he ain't there yet for reasons of strength and footspeed. Beyond that simply agree to disagree.

And Slug I hope you are right but I personally will be surprised if 3 months or one offseason is all that is required. But I do believe he will be a lot better next year.
Good thing he will be a True Freshman next year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
What? You were the one that said "if you watched Saba try and guard the Miami center yesterday, it was obvious he didn't have the strength to bang with him or even really guard him." Copy and pasted quote. But now what Miami did in the last 5 minutes when Saba was in the game isn't relevant?

It's not about it being a hot take or outlandish. It's just not one that is supported by what actually happened yesterday.
As it pertains to your point of did they get the ball to the post - no it isn't relevant what Miami did in the last 5 min of a beat down. They were not into the game and trying to be aggressive. Ball didn't go to the post or really go anywhere for them. Geez - not sure why this is such a big deal to you.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As it pertains to your point of did they get the ball to the post - no it isn't relevant what Miami did in the last 5 min of a beat down. They were not into the game and trying to be aggressive. Ball didn't go to the post or really go anywhere for them.

So if the ball didn't go in the post then how did you draw the conclusion that Saba, and again I'll just copy and past your quote, "didn't have the strength to bang with him or even really guard him."?