Georgia Tech has hired Josh Pastner

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
MBob was on Chuck and Chernoff yesterday. He said he was in California talking to a coach, but it wasn't Cuonzo Martin. He said CM wasn't ever considered as a candidate. When pressed who it was that he was in Cali for, Mbob said, just because he went to talk to a coach in CA, doesn't mean he was a coach of a school in CA.

I looked up who was playing at the time and the NCAA regional final was going on in Anaheim (Oregon v Oklahoma). Was he talking to Dana Altman (Oregon), presumably?

When he said not Cuonzo, did they ask why not?

TigerUppercut

Georgia Tech Fan
Memphis is getting their Pitt moment. Run out a coach that was pretty successful until the last couple of years...then get a replacement that makes them wish they had their old coach back.

Be careful what you wish for.
Yeah...why would we want to wish for a coach who was able to turn around a school with access to less talent, surrounded by 4 TX programs and two OK programs (regardless of conference)...that's gone to the Tourney 18 out of his 25 years, and took down 3 highly ranked RPI teams in the month of Feb. alone, compared to JP. Don't get me wrong...JP will do GTech right, his players consistently graduated, and graduated early for a few. While we all want wins, JP off the court was as class act as they come....but the fall into discombobulation was too much too quickly - and things got ugly. He now has a chip on his shoulder - which he won't publicly say I imagine...but I'm interested to watch.

And before you wonder why I'm here...I live in the area, and have on and off for some time. I support Atlanta based sports, and I'll continue supporting JP here like I did at home.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah...why would we want to wish for a coach who was able to turn around a school with access to less talent, surrounded by 4 TX programs and two OK programs (regardless of conference)...that's gone to the Tourney 18 out of his 25 years, and took down 3 highly ranked RPI teams in the month of Feb. alone, compared to JP. Don't get me wrong...JP will do GTech right, his players consistently graduated, and graduated early for a few. While we all want wins, JP off the court was as class act as they come....but the fall into discombobulation was too much too quickly - and things got ugly. He now has a chip on his shoulder - which he won't publicly say I imagine...but I'm interested to watch.

And before you wonder why I'm here...I live in the area, and have on and off for some time. I support Atlanta based sports, and I'll continue supporting JP here like I did at home.

Awesome...got Memphis fans finding their way on another's school's board digging up a post from two days ago in response to a post about Kermit Davis rumors. Wish I had that kind of time and energy to waste on correcting someone from another school's board. If Memphis fans wanted Pastner gone so bad, sure have a funny way of showing it following him across to another school's messageboard.

You need to do some more research in other threads before you jump on posters or you risk looking like a tool. I'm a huge fan of Tubby, and even said it was good get for Memphis:

https://gtswarm.com/threads/coaches-on-the-hot-seat.6101/page-99

I'm honored your first post was to chime in on one of my posts from 2 days ago. Welcome to the board!

Last edited:

TigerUppercut

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah I saw that out about 5 seconds after I responded, but figured whatever - it's a message board and there are more egregious errors in life to worry about than a mis-response on a message board - or looking like a tool, as you said in that grade-school manner sort of way. Not to mention my post was equally if not more about JP...but again whatever. Doesn't really matter who my home team is given that I've spent plenty of hard earned money at GT games, live in the area, and have worked and played with plenty of GT alum all over the Country.

Given the number of messages you've posted you're definitely a forum warrior, so please continue defending your turf....at least you seem to know a bit about ball, which is a + in my book either way. I'll see you around the boards I'm sure!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah I saw that out about 5 seconds after I responded, but figured whatever - it's a message board and there are more egregious errors in life to worry about than a mis-response on a message board - or looking like a tool, as you said in that grade-school manner sort of way. Not to mention my post was equally if not more about JP...but again whatever. Doesn't really matter who my home team is given that I've spent plenty of hard earned money at GT games, live in the area, and have worked and played with plenty of GT alum all over the Country.

Given the number of messages you've posted you're definitely a forum warrior, so please continue defending your turf....at least you seem to know a bit about ball, which is a + in my book either way. I'll see you around the boards I'm sure!

Man, this is the most cordial message board fight ever. C'mon, with a name like TigerUppercut, I'm expecting you to come with the goods. Let @Techster have it. Trust me, he deserves it. :D

In all seriousness, how's the Tiger community feeling about that price tag on Tubby. I think it's an overpay. He'll be solid but man that's hefty.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You've gone from two coaches known to be very good recruiters to a guy known for being a poor recruiter. You're about to learn the same lesson GT fans did after Hewitt. Few programs recruit themselves, and neither GT nor Memphis are one of those.

Smith is a good coach and he'll win some, but at that price tag, I highly doubt he'll win as much as he's being paid to.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I have mixed emotions when posters are both backhandidly nice and insulting. Commit to one or the other. I want to write a scathing reply, but I also want to give you a hug because why would anyone willingly go to another board to defend a hire if they're not seeking some kind of emotional comfort. You're gonna be OK...(y)

TigerUppercut

Georgia Tech Fan
Hahaha...glad to see the sense of humor is strong here!
Seriously though...if you ever meet the man in person - JP that is, you'll understand. Most of the fanbase here wanted him to succeed....and the fact he practically did right away didn't do any favors in terms of how things ended, because the rebuilding pain we should have felt came at years 6 & 7 instead of 1 & 2. If you ask most of the people here, they'll tell you JP is the nicest person you could possible meet - BUT - that doesn't get it done on the court, at least not in Memphis, with Memphis kids. I'm not totally sold you have to drop an F-Bomb as a way to justify you can relate to a kid...but you better reach them in some other ways, and that didn't always happen. As of right now, I'd send him a Christmas gift, invite him to my party, but - don't touch my basketball team.
As for Tubby, he's the most experienced guy we've had in terms of Resume...so it'll be interesting to see how a guy does who's already had a cream of the crop gig before, does here. Plenty of old Memphis guys who've been thrown around for some of his assistant spots from Penny to Perry and a few others, so we'll see. If he gets a recruiting wall around the city though, and a few other key pieces...expect success. Tubby is an X and O's guy....as of last game, Josh was not, and it bit us every single time.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I heard the interview and he plain English said he interviewed a coach whose team was playing in California.
Yeah. The Celtics we're playing in California not too long ago.

There was a good window that MBob could've been there following the Lakers game.
http://www.nba.com/celtics/schedule

Tubby is an X and O's guy....as of last game, Josh was not, and it bit us every single time.
Yeah. That's why we think our AD is going to have Josh hire an Xs & Os guy.

Uhhh... meanwhile, did this slip under the radar?

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
The article ignores that Memphis reportedly pays him something the next 2-4 yrs so that he ends up about even in contracted money, just over 6 rather than 4 yrs.
Memphis will pay him a total of $1.255 million over the next two years. That was the official announcement. So you are correct, the guaranteed money in both contracts seem to add up to the same amount ($10.6 million).

On a per year basis, Pastner is taking a pay cut.