Georgia Tech Football and the deep South’s first black quarterback

LibertyTurns

Banned
Never had any direct dealings with Rev Jackson but have with Al Sharpton. Rev Sharpton is a completely different person when not on tv or behind the mike.

I suppose my lack of exposure to Rev Jackson makes me attribute poor motives to his causes whereas in Rev Sharpton’s case I believe he’s much more genuinely motivated. I’ve just never heard Rev Jackson talk in a straightforward mannet about the issues like other key leaders in the community.

Never had any direct dealings with Rev Jackson but have with Al Sharpton. Rev Sharpton is a completely different person when not on tv or behind the mike.

I suppose my lack of exposure to Rev Jackson makes me attribute poor motives to his causes whereas in Rev Sharpton’s case I believe he’s much more genuinely motivated. I’ve just never heard Rev Jackson talk in a straightforward mannet about the issues like other key leaders in the community.
I have never had any dealings with either man, so I defer to your personal knowledge, but I would have thought the complete opposite --- that Jesse might have some genuine motivation while Sharpton is a complete charlatan.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I was stunned by Rev Sharpton’s intelligence and command of the issues as I thought he was kind of an incompetent fool before I saw him in person in a non-media environment. He’s really quite brilliant. Man does he have the capability to flip a switch and turn from a persona of heavy intellect where he can engage the smartest of the smart to a crowd frenzy generator at the drop of a hat. He knows his base, understands what motivates them and it resonates with them. A very unique fellow.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I have never had any dealings with either man, so I defer to your personal knowledge, but I would have thought the complete opposite --- that Jesse might have some genuine motivation while Sharpton is a complete charlatan.

Sharpton must have learned a lesson from Ms. Brawley as she surely must have fooled the younger Rev. Al. -)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was stunned by Rev Sharpton’s intelligence and command of the issues as I thought he was kind of an incompetent fool before I saw him in person in a non-media environment. He’s really quite brilliant. Man does he have the capability to flip a switch and turn from a persona of heavy intellect where he can engage the smartest of the smart to a crowd frenzy generator at the drop of a hat. He knows his base, understands what motivates them and it resonates with them. A very unique fellow.
Yep. They don't call him Reverend Soundbite for nothing, but he is one smart cookie.

Reminds me a lot of Hosea Williams in that way. Hosea could - and often did - sound a bit light upstairs on tv. But he owned his own chemical company and held several patents for chemical processes; he held an MA in chemistry from Atlanta U. He worked for the DoAg as a research scientist before WW2 too. No slouch, iow. He was also brave as a lion; that was why Martin King sent him in first when he was starting a campaign. Hosea would get people stirred up and then King would send in - wait for it - Andy Young to talk to the locals.

I spoke to Bill Fulcher again tonight and told him about this message board and this thread. He got a kick out of it. I told him that I had posted on here what he had told back in the Fall, and he added a little more info on what happened. The issue was EXTRA tickets for the Georgia game, which was strictly forbidden (Dodd or the NCAA, I don't know). He didn't like what he heard, and at some point then Jesse Jackson entered the picture, and a subsequent meeting with Fulcher after Jackson got into it was the last time Eddie ever spoke to Fulcher or even met with him.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I spoke to Bill Fulcher again tonight and told him about this message board and this thread. He got a kick out of it. I told him that I had posted on here what he had told back in the Fall, and he added a little more info on what happened. The issue was EXTRA tickets for the Georgia game, which was strictly forbidden (Dodd or the NCAA, I don't know). He didn't like what he heard, and at some point then Jesse Jackson entered the picture, and a subsequent meeting with Fulcher after Jackson got into it was the last time Eddie ever spoke to Fulcher or even met with him.

Glad coach Fulcher is still around. He was a good, decent man who was loved by a lot of his players. He built a fairly strong staff at GT as well.

I know Eddie suffered a lot of racist insults (even sadly from the GT community as well), but he wanted those extra tickets in violation of NCAA rules.

Glad coach Fulcher is still around. He was a good, decent man who was loved by a lot of his players. He built a fairly strong staff at GT as well.

I know Eddie suffered a lot of racist insults (even sadly from the GT community as well), but he wanted those extra tickets in violation of NCAA rules.
Bill looks darn good for a man in his 80s, and he gets around independently very well. He still seems pretty sharp too and definitely has a biting wit.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was one of those who was very disappointed that Fulcher resigned. I thought he had everything needed to be a long time and successful coach at Tech. I suspect he thought the same, but that the job had aspects to it that he wasn't ready for. It's sorta like Ross resigning because he didn't like how recruiting was evolving. I hardily agree with him on that; it's become a giant moral hazard for the college game. Still, I wish both of them had decided to stay. Or that Dodd had gotten his wish and been able to hire Doug Dickey.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I was one of those who was very disappointed that Fulcher resigned. I thought he had everything needed to be a long time and successful coach at Tech. I suspect he thought the same, but that the job had aspects to it that he wasn't ready for. It's sorta like Ross resigning because he didn't like how recruiting was evolving. I hardily agree with him on that; it's become a giant moral hazard for the college game. Still, I wish both of them had decided to stay. Or that Dodd had gotten his wish and been able to hire Doug Dickey.
You are on the money with recruiting. The stuff going on ranges from the shocking -- Louisville, which by all rights should have gotten the death penalty for its basketball program -- to the mundane, those silly "incidental contacts" that are mostly self-reported. It has gotten to the point that coaches have to almost debase themselves before an 18-year-old and his family. It is going to get even worse as college basketball and football compete even more with the pros for TV dollars.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Sharpton must have learned a lesson from Ms. Brawley as she surely must have fooled the younger Rev. Al. -)
I’m not sure he was fooled at all. He’s masterful at agitating and I’m not sure whether or not he really cares the incidents are legitimate- Howard Beach, Yusef Hawkins, Twanna Brawley, Amadou Diallo, Freddie’s, etc. He’s got an agenda and he uses every tool he can muster to forward it along. I don’t particularly like his tactics but I respect his personal drive and tenacity.

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
The McAshan affair did have somewhat of an effect on Coach Fulcher but was not the main reason he retired from coaching. During Spring practice of 1973, Bruce Elliott broke his leg and had to stay in the hospital. Coach Fulcher was worrying that Bruce might not be ready to play when the season rolled around when he got a call from the doctor saying that they weren't sure if Bruce was going to make it through the night. I don't remember exactly what it was (maybe a blood clot) but it was touch and go for a while. Bruce did recover but it really took a lot out of Coach Fulcher and he kind of lost interest in coaching. After Spring practice was over, he went to Bobby Dodd and told him that he didn't want to coach anymore. Dodd told him that it was the wrong time of year to quit and that he needed to coach the 1973 season and decide afterwards if he wanted to continue coaching. So, that's what he did.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The McAshan affair did have somewhat of an effect on Coach Fulcher but was not the main reason he retired from coaching. During Spring practice of 1973, Bruce Elliott broke his leg and had to stay in the hospital. Coach Fulcher was worrying that Bruce might not be ready to play when the season rolled around when he got a call from the doctor saying that they weren't sure if Bruce was going to make it through the night. I don't remember exactly what it was (maybe a blood clot) but it was touch and go for a while. Bruce did recover but it really took a lot out of Coach Fulcher and he kind of lost interest in coaching. After Spring practice was over, he went to Bobby Dodd and told him that he didn't want to coach anymore. Dodd told him that it was the wrong time of year to quit and that he needed to coach the 1973 season and decide afterwards if he wanted to continue coaching. So, that's what he did.
I knew Bruce was injured, but I never heard that it got that serious! Knowing Bill, I completely understand. Now, everything falls into place. Thanks.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how things would have went for the GT football program if Coach Fulcher would have coached the 1974 season?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. This clears up a lot for me about Coach Fulcher leaving. I had heard what I wrote, but this makes a lot more sense. Really traumatic experience.

All I can tell you is that Bill told me face to face that the reason he quit could be summed up in two words --- Eddie McAshan

Another thing which I had heard also contributed to Fulcher resigning was that his wife was supposedly a total dingbat, and the marriage was on the rocks. The sad thing is that he moved back to Augusta and married someone even worse than his first wife. And even though the second marriage ended in divorce 40 years ago, she kept his name and hyphenated "Fulcher" with the name of her current husband. Bill is now dating (or possibly married to) a real knockout. I hope she's not as fruity as the others.

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
All I can tell you is that Bill told me face to face that the reason he quit could be summed up in two words --- Eddie McAshan

Mine came from Bill, too. We were either having lunch at Wifesaver or we were on the way to the football letterwinners golf tournament with Craig Baynham. Before I posted it, I called Bruce Elliott to let him know what Coach Fulcher had told me but Bruce already knew because he said that Bill had told him the story years ago.