Georgia Tech donors see positives, but it’s time to ‘put up or shut up’

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A new article from the AJC

Selected quotes:

"A well-connected supporter, Garrett set two measuring sticks that he believes that Tech will need to achieve for Collins to be granted a fifth season. “I think it’s really important that we don’t start off 1-4 or worse,” Garrett said. “And I think it’s going to be critically important that this football team is playing in December.” That is to say, get to six wins and qualify for a bowl game. “I think those are the two tipping points,” he said."

"Another donor with a record of longtime and significant financial support, Steve Zelnak, gives Tech and Collins more latitude. For him, given the difficulty of the schedule, getting to .500 might be too high a bar. “But if they win four or five games and they play better, which they certainly did against Clemson, even though the score didn’t indicate it, I think that would likely show progress in the minds of some people,” Zelnak said. “At least it would me.”"

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Selected quotes:

"A well-connected supporter, Garrett set two measuring sticks that he believes that Tech will need to achieve for Collins to be granted a fifth season. “I think it’s really important that we don’t start off 1-4 or worse,” Garrett said. “And I think it’s going to be critically important that this football team is playing in December.” That is to say, get to six wins and qualify for a bowl game. “I think those are the two tipping points,” he said."

"Another donor with a record of longtime and significant financial support, Steve Zelnak, gives Tech and Collins more latitude. For him, given the difficulty of the schedule, getting to .500 might be too high a bar. “But if they win four or five games and they play better, which they certainly did against Clemson, even though the score didn’t indicate it, I think that would likely show progress in the minds of some people,” Zelnak said. “At least it would me.”"
Yes Steve Zelnak is a Tech man but he also is a big NC State fan. He did pull for Tech when they play but still a NC State fan. His money goes to Tech.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
“I wouldn’t sleep on this team,” the donor said in an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “I think this team’s going to surprise some people.”

“We’re in Year 4, it’s ‘Put up or shut up’ time,’”... “There’s no (being satisfied with) great effort, there’s no almost. We get to the end of the season, we’ve got to have taken a step forward.”

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Selected quotes:

Interesting excerpts... I feel like Garrett’s take is “right” but I guess I don’t contribute quite enough to dispute either of these gentlemen!
:ROFLMAO:

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it's dumb to talk to the media and say things that will either force your hand and possibly cause another bad hire or make you look incompetent if they don't happen.

What if we do win only 3 games this year but the market changes and coaches we thought we had lined up take other offers? We should only be conducting a firing if we know we have a better option... this model of firing and then conducting a coaching search is what leads to problems like the one we're in.

There doesn't seem to be much to gain in talking to the press except for some short term self attention grabbing. Why not just set the expectations privately with TStan?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Interesting excerpts... I feel like Garrett’s take is “right” but I guess I don’t contribute quite enough to dispute either of these gentlemen!
:ROFLMAO:
That’s what this place is for. It is the media outlet for people whose annual giving probably would not pay for 6 weeks of helmet decals for the entire tight end group. If John started charging a $5 annual fee we would probably have a half dozen posters. 😉

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
“I wouldn’t sleep on this team,” the donor said in an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “I think this team’s going to surprise some people.”

“We’re in Year 4, it’s ‘Put up or shut up’ time,’”... “There’s no (being satisfied with) great effort, there’s no almost. We get to the end of the season, we’ve got to have taken a step forward.”

Next week is gonna say a great deal about CGC's future and the team's season. I'd pick Wake or NC State over Ole Miss, but they are better than or equal to anyone on our schedule sans Clem and uga. Either winning or being very competitive with them isn't too much to ask, well into year 4.

Last edited:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Considering what the state of the program would be in that scenario, I think a 5th straight losing season would be worse for the program in the long term than the buyout

This is also probably a pretty good year to be on the coaching carousel. The article makes it seem like boosters are invested in the program so if we move on we might land a homerun.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is also probably a pretty good year to be on the coaching carousel. The article makes it seem like boosters are invested in the program so if we move on we might land a homerun.
I am liking the staff. They have made progress. The DB have yet to look incompetent - infact they look good
. This week the defense needs to play fast and undercontrol.
If we keep improving I am ready to get the assistants to stay w the new head coach.
We will know after Duke.

yellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I am liking the staff. They have made progress. The DB have yet to look incompetent - infact they look good
. This week the defense needs to play fast and undercontrol.
If we keep improving I am ready to get the assistants to stay w the new head coach.
We will know after Duke.
Duke has looked pretty good so far.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You're right and we barely beat them last year.
Last year after we beat them on last second td pass,, cgc said " we just beat a really great offensive team". I was ridiculed by my hs coaching son
Now they have a young qb that is slinging it.

Last edited: