Georgia Tech Basketball: Roster Preview

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe the most exciting aspect of this season will be seeing who steps into the key roles. Lots of wide-open opportunities for guys to step-up.

If Howard was a better defender / rebounder, then I think the 4 spot would be wide open for a player like Jalon Moore or even Deebo Coleman (at 6'6" 218) to play at the 4. But as it is, I think it will be Franklin at the 4 because of his physical play and proven production on the boards. I think we need him at the 4 to help cover some of Howard's defensive deficiencies in the paint.

But, positions 1 thru 3 seem wide open to me. If Deivon Smith has really made a jump, then I think he easily surpasses Sturdivant. I think if Sturidivant was going to make a move, he would have done it last year, but the opportunity is still there for him regardless of my skepticism. Whomever plays the position, we need way, WAY, WAAAAAAYYYYYY more production at both ends from the PG spot this season. Not turning it over is not enough. If things are going porly at the PG spot, could Miles Kelly see some minutes here?

The two and three spots are up for grabs. Deebo is too big and heavy legged to guard at the 2. So, I think it will be Kelly, Terry or Maxwell at the 2. Will it be a season long rotation or will one of them grab the position by the horns? Lance Terry is the x-factor at this spot. The coaches keep referring to him as steady and dependable. The team may really need that on the court.

Same for the 3. I could see any of Kelly (if he's not playing the one or two), Coleman or Jalon Moore establishing themselves at the 3. Kelly is slight for the 3 but long. Coleman has size, but is not quick and has to learn to use his size instead of floating around the perimeter. He needs to make major changes to his game to be a +ACC starting player. Jalon Moore is the x-factor at this spot. Moore likely has more upside on the defensive end at the 3 than either Kelly or Coleman.

Pre-season returns suggest that the team has a low ceiling on the defensive end and a high ceiling on the offensive end. We may lack adequate defensive versatility so that the staff is forced to play guys who will stick their nose in there and grind on the defensive end rather than playing the player with the greatest offensive firepower at each position.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Same for the 3. I could see any of Kelly (if he's not playing the one or two), Coleman or Jalon Moore establishing themselves at the 3. Kelly is slight for the 3 but long. Coleman has size, but is not quick and has to learn to use his size instead of floating around the perimeter. He needs to make major changes to his game to be a +ACC starting player. Jalon Moore is the x-factor at this spot. Moore likely has more upside on the defensive end at the 3 than either Kelly or Coleman.

Just letting you know that this take on Coleman will look real bad down the line. And perhaps not even that far down the line.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
My only "take" on Coleman is that he is coming off a rather pedestrian Freshman campaign and that he needs to make major changes in his game from last season to be an above average ACC starter. You disagree with this take?

As a freshman, Coleman was a poor defender, had major difficulties containing the dribble drive, was a poor rebounder and on offense was mostly content to float around the perimeter and was at best inconsistent in creating his own shot. He was a top 50 recruit, got lots of minutes but was largely a non-impact player on a team that desperately needed a third scorer and impact player.

He flashed, but we had lots of guys that flashed. We don't need a good half or good game here and there, we need guys who are consistently productive.
Coleman is one of a roster full of players who really have to step-it-up for the team to escape the bottom tier. I am not predicting that it won't happen. I make no predictions at all. We don't have long to wait to see what these players have actually done with their off season.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe the most exciting aspect of this season will be seeing who steps into the key roles. Lots of wide-open opportunities for guys to step-up.

If Howard was a better defender / rebounder, then I think the 4 spot would be wide open for a player like Jalon Moore or even Deebo Coleman (at 6'6" 218) to play at the 4. But as it is, I think it will be Franklin at the 4 because of his physical play and proven production on the boards. I think we need him at the 4 to help cover some of Howard's defensive deficiencies in the paint.

But, positions 1 thru 3 seem wide open to me. If Deivon Smith has really made a jump, then I think he easily surpasses Sturdivant. I think if Sturidivant was going to make a move, he would have done it last year, but the opportunity is still there for him regardless of my skepticism. Whomever plays the position, we need way, WAY, WAAAAAAYYYYYY more production at both ends from the PG spot this season. Not turning it over is not enough. If things are going porly at the PG spot, could Miles Kelly see some minutes here?

The two and three spots are up for grabs. Deebo is too big and heavy legged to guard at the 2. So, I think it will be Kelly, Terry or Maxwell at the 2. Will it be a season long rotation or will one of them grab the position by the horns? Lance Terry is the x-factor at this spot. The coaches keep referring to him as steady and dependable. The team may really need that on the court.

Pre-season returns suggest that the team has a low ceiling on the defensive end and a high ceiling on the offensive end. We may lack adequate defensive versatility so that the staff is forced to play guys who will stick their nose in there and grind on the defensive end rather than playing the player with the greatest offensive firepower at each position.
a lot of good food for thought here that i like and appreciate.
i would argue that differentiating between 2 & 3 is a bit outdated. in today's game, easy to have a 2 on offense who defends the 3 and a 3 on offense who defends the 2 (for the old-school fans who still think about basketball in terms of "positions"). i think that applies to m2m defensive teams now, but with pastners hybrid zone it applies even more.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I noticed some of the players have transferred twice. Aren't players limited to one transfer and then have to sit out a year ( unless coach leaves or family medical)?

slugboy

Staff member
I noticed some of the players have transferred twice. Aren't players limited to one transfer and then have to sit out a year ( unless coach leaves or family medical)?
I’ll have to look at where they transferred from, but if one of the schools was a lower division that’s not eligible for the tournament than the transfer is “free”.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’ll have to look at where they transferred from, but if one of the schools was a lower division that’s not eligible for the tournament than the transfer is “free”.

Thanks, I think it may only be D1 schools too but wanted the collective wisdom. If it's "tournament" schools is that more than D1?

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't mean for my comment to be harsh about Deebo. I guess improving fitness is a bit of an obsession for me. I think Deebo is a very good player and potenially a great player. He reminds me some of Dennis Scott his first two years. When Dennis improved his fitness his game exploded.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks, I think it may only be D1 schools too but wanted the collective wisdom. If it's "tournament" schools is that more than D1?
Just in the ACC, here are the 2022 transfer data based on the 247 portal:

BC: 4 out, 1 in; all D1
Clem: 2 out, 1 in; all D1
Duke: 0 out, 3 in; all D1
FSU: 2 out, 2 in; all D1
GT: 3 out, 2 in; all D1
UL: 5 out, 2 in; all D1
Mia: 0 out, 2 in; all D1
NCSU: 4 out, 4 in; all D1 except 1 out to D2
UNC: 4 out, 1 in; all D1
ND: 1 out, 1 in; all D1
Pitt: 4 out, 3 in; all D1
Cuse: 1 out, 1 in; all D1
UVA: 2 out, 1 in; all D1
VT: 5 out, 3 in; all D1
Wake: 2 out, 4 in; all D1

Only one ACC transfer was not between D1 schools. None of the portal guys dropped out of competition.

slugboy

Staff member
Tournament schools should equal D1 and transfers should equal D1. My Google-fu is failing me this morning.

I think there are about 350 eligible schools. There are 32 conferences that have automatic qualifiers for their champions.

I think your knowledge of baseball transfer rules serves you pretty well for basketball too, but the schools might be different.

But I’d have to look up whether Gardner-Webb is a tourney school or a lower division school. I can’t keep track of ‘em all.