Georgia Tech Athletics Officially Wraps Up AI 2020

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

THE FLATS – Highlighted by more than $100 million raised to construct new state-of-the-art facilities, Athletics Initiative 2020, Georgia Tech athletics three-year, $125-million fundraising initiative, far surpassed its initial goal by raising a total of $175.39 million in gifts and commitments, director of athletics Todd Stansbury announced on Thursday.

Despite the challenges presented by the Covid-19 pandemic over the final 10 months of the 36-month initiative, the $175.39 million that Georgia Tech benefactors donated to AI 2020 from January 1, 2018-December 31, 2020 exceeded the $125 million goal by more than 40%.

Additional details in the article: https://ramblinwreck.com/georgia-tech-athletics-officially-wraps-up-ai-2020/

Deleted member 2897

This should be getting more discussion. This is HUGE

It is huge indeed. Not just because we hit our goal, but they have an extra $50m to spend on athletics - facilities, coaches, etc.

I feel like our football team has laid a good foundation. Basketball has turned the corner. Women’s basketball finished 3rd. Our baseball and golf teams are elite. Volleyball was one of the hottest teams in the country last year. Softball is turning the corner. Tennis is doing great. I’ve never been this optimistic about our sports programs as a whole in my lifetime.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
New edge center is going to be dope. But you would hope that with Tech's alum base there would be a couple of multi-millionaires who happen to like football...

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It is a credit to the alumni base that we raised that kind of money and it reflects the the respect that Todd Stansbury has developed as AD. The new Edge Center will be absolutely awesome. It is an amazing accomplishment during COVID. But I do wish we could do something about the stadium at some point. The lower east club seats are a bad look with so many empty seats and the upper north is a bad, lopsided look, especially when they are largely empty. The renovations over the years were not very well thought out. We need to do that right next time.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
That extra 40% was really providential with all the money we weren’t able to make during Covid, it was exactly what we needed when we needed it

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully, they already have contracts for the cost of construction. Everything we're seeing is about a 50% increase in prices over the past 12 months. As an engineer designing a project, I hate to be the "low bidder" when my estimate is so much lower than prices coming in.

Even if some prices are locked in, there has to be some inflation clause built in, and materials - steel is up 60% this year and now PVC and HDPE have gone up 30% in past month - would have to be provide an allowance.

So, just get 'er built quick!