Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech, Tues, Feb 23, 7pm, RSN/ACCNX

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Great win, guys. It sounded pretty good on the radio. No more RSN games thank goodness. This team is peaking at the right time.
Has the Cuse game network been announced yet? Not trying to click on link after link to watch another game. The last 10 minutes of game time was a disaster. I switched links more than we switch on CJP’s zone defense!

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
2 good wins away from the bubble? Our NET rating which you supposedly follow is 39. **** off.

WOW - our NET is down to 36.

Through Games Feb. 23 2021
RANKPREVIOUSSCHOOLCONFERENCERECORDROADNEUTRALHOMEQUAD 1QUAD 2QUAD 3QUAD 4
3649Georgia TechACC12-83-51-08-32-64-04-22-0

That is a tourney game changer if we can stay there.

/

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

UNC is up to 33 as well. If they can crack the top 30 by the end of the year that win becomes quad 1

when I look at our conference, I really only see a couple teams that I would consider elite or close to elite - Florida State and Virginia. But when I look beyond that to what is traditionally a strong middle in the ACC, it feels like we have like 8 really strong teams in the middle of the conference. We could have a whole ton of 5-12 seeds that do some damage in the tournament.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow

this is good stuff. thanks for posting. i clicked on the GT bio at this site and here is their analysis (AO = average opponent):

ANALYSIS:
Despite their unexceptional win percentage, Georgia Tech should be regarded as one of the better teams in college hoops. Carrying a record of 12-8, they are currently rated #19 overall (out of 357) in All-Play Percentage this season. They are also ranked by this site as the #3 team (out of 15) in the ACC (average ranking 66.3).

Georgia Tech is one of the very most competent offensive teams in the country. Ranked 18th in offensive efficiency, they'll rack up more than 112 points every 100 trips upcourt vs. AO. Georgia Tech is an excellent shooting team, capable of converting from multiple locations on the court and ranking in the top-50 in three of our four primary field goal categories. They convert 37.8% of their three-pointers (28th in the nation), 72.4% of their near-proximity attempts (third), and 50.0% of their total shots from the field (sixth) vs. AO. Georgia Tech is also deadly accurate at the free throw line. Making 77.7% of their attempts from the stripe, they are ranked 23rd nationally in free throw percentage.

Georgia Tech plays at roughly the same level defensively as they do offensively. The team ranks 48th nationally in defensive efficiency, allowing about 93 points every 100 trips upcourt vs. AO. Georgia Tech thrives on scoring fast and easy points off of steals. They're ranked 11th in potential points off of breakaway steals vs. AO with a rating of 16.42. Georgia Tech is also a superior unit when it comes to preventing opponents from getting to the foul line. With a defensive free throw attempt rate of 19.26 vs. AO, they are currently rated 17th in the country in that category.

Georgia Tech has been playing better basketball in their most recent outings, as evidenced by the team's #35 ranking in positive momentum. On the road, Georgia Tech performs somewhat better than their norm, as the squad is nationally ranked 30th in our away-from-home metric.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
this is good stuff. thanks for posting. i clicked on the GT bio at this site and here is their analysis (AO = average opponent):

ANALYSIS:
Despite their unexceptional win percentage, Georgia Tech should be regarded as one of the better teams in college hoops. Carrying a record of 12-8, they are currently rated #19 overall (out of 357) in All-Play Percentage this season. They are also ranked by this site as the #3 team (out of 15) in the ACC (average ranking 66.3).

Georgia Tech is one of the very most competent offensive teams in the country. Ranked 18th in offensive efficiency, they'll rack up more than 112 points every 100 trips upcourt vs. AO. Georgia Tech is an excellent shooting team, capable of converting from multiple locations on the court and ranking in the top-50 in three of our four primary field goal categories. They convert 37.8% of their three-pointers (28th in the nation), 72.4% of their near-proximity attempts (third), and 50.0% of their total shots from the field (sixth) vs. AO. Georgia Tech is also deadly accurate at the free throw line. Making 77.7% of their attempts from the stripe, they are ranked 23rd nationally in free throw percentage.

Georgia Tech plays at roughly the same level defensively as they do offensively. The team ranks 48th nationally in defensive efficiency, allowing about 93 points every 100 trips upcourt vs. AO. Georgia Tech thrives on scoring fast and easy points off of steals. They're ranked 11th in potential points off of breakaway steals vs. AO with a rating of 16.42. Georgia Tech is also a superior unit when it comes to preventing opponents from getting to the foul line. With a defensive free throw attempt rate of 19.26 vs. AO, they are currently rated 17th in the country in that category.

Georgia Tech has been playing better basketball in their most recent outings, as evidenced by the team's #35 ranking in positive momentum. On the road, Georgia Tech performs somewhat better than their norm, as the squad is nationally ranked 30th in our away-from-home metric.

As much as our defense gets talked about, surprising that our offense is actually higher rated comparatively. We are one of the better offenses in the country according to Haslam's metrics.

If we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot to start the season due to the staff's decision to go non-contact practices, we win 1 of 2 (or all 2) against UVA, and Clemson doesn't get that lucky bank, our team is in a different discussion right now.

Hopefully we can close the deal the last three game and make a deep run in the ACCT.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This team is peaking, and peaking well.

I love that the things we are being COACHED, read that again boys and girls, COACHED to do are showing up. Effort based, team driven Defensive Schemes that mold and shift to stop plays as they TRY to get hot. You wanna start trying to attack the baseline against our standard 1-3-1 zone cool go nuts, you start getting success? Awesome we flow down as a unit to trap in the corner or help Moses set up down near the basket where anyone (Jordan, Moses, Mike, Moore, sometimes even big Mr. Jose at 6' will happily take the ball from you.

You want to try to play us in man, great news - good luck staying in front of Jose and Mike as they slash through the lane, or Jordan and Moore as they set up for their run through pay dirt. Oh, and you thought your big was gonna stop Moses? Pshaw.. You switch to Zone, ah good choice, but for the fact that all of a sudden we have some perimeter shooters and guys who will FORCE YOU TO CHOOSE (and choose wrong) on if you stop the drive or the dish.

This team is playing as a unit, with purpose, tremendous grit, and ya know what they say, in the ACC and The NC Two A's generally it is all about guard play, and our guards? Well, they came to play.

Deleted member 2897

As much as our defense gets talked about, surprising that our offense is actually higher rated comparatively. We are one of the better offenses in the country according to Haslam's metrics.

If we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot to start the season due to the staff's decision to go non-contact practices, we win 1 of 2 (or all 2) against UVA, and Clemson doesn't get that lucky bank, our team is in a different discussion right now.

Hopefully we can close the deal the last three game and make a deep run in the ACCT.

Yep, look at these what-iffs:
1) We play Boston College twice and NC State: We're 15-8 overall, 11-6 in the ACC. That would be 3rd in the ACC. In my opinion, this is the most real interpretation of where we should be. NET would be around 30? By comparison, Wisconsin is 16-8 and ranked #23.
2) We practiced before Mercer and Georgia State and win both: We're 17-6 overall. NET would be around 25? We'd be ranked close to #20.
3) Clemson's missed shot doesn't ricochet in. We're 18-5 overall, 12-5 in the ACC. NET would be around 20. We'd be ranked in the upper teens I think.

To me these are various flavors of what-iffs that are reasonable. Like not just could we close out against Virginia or Duke, but just stupid stuff that could have easily gone the other way, like just simply playing games.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, technical difficulties, i.e. me not knowing how to post, apparently....

There has been a lot of talk about not having conference tournaments this year. The talk gets louder as the post-season gets closer. That leaves the opportunity to potentially re-schedule conference games. Teams that are definitely in the NCAA would probably prefer no conference tournaments to prevent COVID issues. Teams that have work to do would like to see conference tournaments to improve their resume. We'll see what happens.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Our defense *should* get all the credit, because our defense fuels our offense. Without the fast breaks we create with steals etc, our set offense isn't *that* good. It's good, but certainly not Top 20 good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our defense *should* get all the credit, because our defense fuels our offense. Without the fast breaks we create with steals etc, our set offense isn't *that* good. It's good, but certainly not Top 20 good.

Very good point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Mike got on track in 2nd half and we spanked VT. We’re a difficult match up when Moses, Jose and Mike are all playing well. I don’t care who you are when those guys are all contributing on both ends of the court, your butt is in trouble.

Devoe is the jet fuel. When he's on, this team is on a different level. It opens so much up for everyone else. Jose and Moses usually are "on" most every game.

What a fantastic adjustment by our staff in the 2nd half to give Devoe primary ball handling duties, and a great job by Devoe to step up his game. Little things like that may just spark Devoe towards more consistency.

We talked about it some during chat, but that's basically a glimpse of what we could see post-Alvarado. I don't believe Mike had any turnovers once he become the primary PG.

This staff continues to make some really good adjustments. Helps having a upperclassmen heavy team that understands what the coaches want, but the staff has certainly been masterful for the most part this season.