Georgia Tech at Virginia, Jan 23, 8pm, ACC Network

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When playing Virginia it's always about your offense vs their defense. We have to hit some threes. If they play off our guards nothing will work against them. They thrive on making every pass an accomplishment, so our guards have be on target early.

An interesting stat: Gonzaga is the only team to score more than 68 points against them. They put up 98!

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Very nice summary. IMHO the key matchup is Jose versus Clark. They both are the ones who make their teams go. Since they shoot too well for us to stay in zone all game, Jose will have to stay in front of Clark as that is what makes their offense go. Against Clemson we were dogged in trying to go over Sims high ball screens and gave penetration to Clemson guards all game. UVA will kill us if we do that - both Clark and Huff on the pop off the screen. We have to go under and take our chances with Clark on pull up 3's. I don't think he can beat us with that. If we do that, I believe Moses will be able to control Huff with no open 3 point pops. Usher versus Hauser will be fun to watch as they move him through a myriad of motion/screens.

I think your comment about getting some easy buckets in the open court is key (for both sides really). If we have to grind it out every time down court it gets hard - both mentally and on the scoreboard. Whoever can get the 4-5 easy baskets over the course of the game likely wins - barring someone simply shooting outrageously good.

No stats, but my eyes tell me we have been better at not taking the ball all the way to the hoop when the bigs are collapsing and getting kickouts instead of blocks/turnovers. Especially important to do that as the packline is designed to have lots of help around the rim. Jose/Devoe/Bubba are not explosive enough to power through that. The con is that 3 point shots are open if you can force help, kick the ball and move it. This is especially true on the back side as that is where they bring the help from.

Like you said, the most likely positive scenario is a close grinding game into the second half. If we can stay disciplined on both sides - especially no turnovers - and find a way to get those 4-5 easy baskets we have a good chance. But there is a reason they are a 9 point favorite.
Agree with all of this. I happen to think our D favors us in that our natural O the last few games sets up well against the packline with the way we have been shooting the ball. The zone we run can still work with Jose playing essentially a spy on Clark and having a hybrid for the back end of the D. I’m hopeful they’ll have more trouble against us than we will against them by the design of our schemes.

Really going to be a good game to watch what CJP has put together to roll against them. Will tell us a lot about how well we can play our scheme, and how well the coaches have drawn it up.

Looking forward to a great game and hoping we pull out an unexpected (but not undeserved) W.

Go Jackets!

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Jose might have a little extra motivation for this one. Not that he ever lacks motivation, but it was pointed out to him in the presser this week that he has never beaten uva (or Duke) since he’s been at GT. He smiled and basically said he was not aware of it, but he didn’t like it and would make it a point to change it. 🤞

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Jose might have a little extra motivation for this one. Not that he ever lacks motivation, but it was pointed out to him in the presser this week that he has never beaten uva (or Duke) since he’s been at GT. He smiled and basically said he was not aware of it, but he didn’t like it and would make it a point to change it. 🤞
I've been looking for the pressers, cant find em. Do you mind pointing me in the right direction?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Always seem to win a big game and a road win at UVA would certainly count. Hopefully this is the game (or one of many)

Milwaukee

Banned
1611456831291.gif

Deleted member 2897

That was one you have to steal. Good example of how we can play great basketball and still have a bad next 2 weeks.

Only 6 turnovers. 8 steals. 8 blocks. Shot well. So close.

Amazing how good we are playing compared to the first week of the season.