Georgia Tech at Duke, Jan 26, 9pm, ESPN

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My concern is that the terrible start is something this team MUST overcome with a few signature wins. A string of close losses doesn't get you into the Dance....
I agree. And I prefer an ugly win over a bad loss when it comes down to it tonight.

On the whole though, some nights good teams just miss open shots. We are shooting 60% from three over the last two games. There are less than a dozen teams in the country averaging over 40% for the year. Something is going to give, and it may give tonight. There's nothing more you can do in those situations where you miss open shots by guys you want taking them.

The thing I'm looking for and driving at is, are we getting good looks? My eyes tell me we got better looks the last two games, independent of the ball going through the net. Good looks that don't fall probably projects forward better than individual, ugly slugfests (accounting for strength of opponent and all that).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If Duke plays the 3-2 zone they have reverted to recently, then I expect Devoe to have a good game - and we will need a good game from him. They haven't played the zone well with the middle being very open causing them to collapse with open perimeter shots. We just have to get the ball to the foul line and look to kick. Moses, Usher and even Jose should be good at doing that.

Deleted member 2897

I agree. And I prefer an ugly win over a bad loss when it comes down to it tonight.

On the whole though, some nights good teams just miss open shots. We are shooting 60% from three over the last two games. There are less than a dozen teams in the country averaging over 40% for the year. Something is going to give, and it may give tonight. There's nothing more you can do in those situations where you miss open shots by guys you want taking them.

The thing I'm looking for and driving at is, are we getting good looks? My eyes tell me we got better looks the last two games, independent of the ball going through the net. Good looks that don't fall probably projects forward better than individual, ugly slugfests (accounting for strength of opponent and all that).

Dukes 3 straight losses were all on the road and that matters. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see our 3pt% be under 40% tonight...like 35%. Can still win with that - get Moses and Usher to rain holy terror down on them.

I just hope someone like Ted Valentine isn’t officiating tonight. We don’t need to play 5 on 6 or 5 on 7.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Someone please tell Devoe not to pass up a wide open 3, dribble into the lane, get double teamed, pick up his dribble and have nobody to pass to with the clock running down. Please.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hard to imagine the last time Gt beat Duke came on Jan. 9, 2010, a 71-67 victory.

hope it’s GT’a time tomorrow night.
When's the last time we won at Cameron? 2004?

Hopefully the name of the front of their jersey allows us to bring a little more tonight.

As others have said, this one means a little more... **** DUKE!!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like our recent strategy of shooting 60%+ from three. So let's just keeping doing that.

In all seriousness, our ball movement and shot selection over the last two games is what is most encouraging. I like to think if we can create good looks with moderate success against Virginia (and Clemson), it'll translate to tonight. We will not continue to convert at the clip we have been - it is not something we can rely on - but energy and good shots, regardless of whether they go in, should carry forward. Even if we're unable to convert, as long as we're getting the looks we want, I'll remain encouraged.

Looking forward to tonight. For me it's only a little bit about winning at Cameron, and moreso about how our play translates forward to the rest of the season and postseason.
You're right about that...we will cool at some point. Hopefully when that time comes, we adjust and don't keep chunking.

To be honest, I think that we've found something in transition. In the past few games, we have played fast (to your point), but we have really pushed the ball when given the opportunity.

Hopefully we see more of that and a reasonable night from behind the arc. We have to be careful not to shoot ourselves out of the game if they're not falling from deep.

Let's see Moses go to work in the paint, let Jose be Jose, and then get the real Mike Devoe to please stand up.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Jordan looks horrible. After that UVA performance. What a fickle game basketball is.

This is our 3rd worst game of the season and it's still winnable. That's quite a thing to say as a Georgia Tech fan.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Pretty pathetic showing actually. Horrible offensive sets the entire first half and lazy defense most of the game. We play the game we play against Virginia and we win by 10+ easy.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That sloppy first half came back to bite us. When Duke was messing up before their 10-0 run we didn’t take advantage and that killed us.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Moses has to stop forcing shots and Devoe needs to break out of his slump or this team has no prayer of making the tournament. It’s depressing this is the best Pastner can do here.