Georgia Tech Affiliation

If you could pick our affiliation which would you choose? Why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just for fun...

I picked ACC because we among at least some schools that have similar outlooks about the proper place for athletics in the college landscape. I am old enough to have witnessed the last few days in the SEC. It was constant confrontation and a clashing of philosphies that are compatible. It would be that way again. As an aside, do you see the value of propaganda with the World Wide Leader? I almost snickered watching the baseball selection show. Now the hype is that the SEC is the superior baseball conference, too. With ESPN owning the SEC network, how long before all will be convinced they are the dominant basketball league, too? That jackwagon, Big Ben McDonald actually spewed the analogy that playing in the SEC was like making straight A's taking advanced courses, and playing in the ACC was like getting straight A's taking regular courses. Both are good, both are straight A's, but of course one is just better.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
ACC.
1. I hate the SEC chant and chest thumping of others riding on the coat tails of other teams.
2. We are established in the ACC and can get to the National Title game here just as easy.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Would like to see games against Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and Florida. I think it would generate more interest regionally. My favorite ACC foes are Clemson, VPISU, and FSU.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I picked ACC. This is just my opinion, but if we were still in the SEC, we'd likely get stomped. We simply cannot compete with other SEC schools in terms of recruiting mostly because of the way they do it over in the SEC (which I hope Tech never stoops to to that extent). I also just don't think we fit geographically with B1G

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
ACC, because it generally combines good athletes with good academics (just a few exceptions); hence, student athletes.

The SEC is an academic joke. The BIG10 cannot even count past ten. Independent? We tried that one already.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
Latest recruiting info I could find shows that 31 of the top 100 juco fb players signed with SEC teams and 2 with ACC teams which demonstrates the academic challenges we would face.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I picked ACC. This is just my opinion, but if we were still in the SEC, we'd likely get stomped. We simply cannot compete with other SEC schools in terms of recruiting mostly because of the way they do it over in the SEC (which I hope Tech never stoops to to that extent). I also just don't think we fit geographically with B1G

I have to disagree with the notion that we'd get stomped in the sec. I think that our recruiting would benefit so much that we would close the gap with better sec schools. I also think that the sec knows this and its why they haven't extended offers to in-state rivals. I doubt georgia, Florida, and South Carolina are eager to find out what would happen to their end-of-season games if they lost their conference advantage... In fact, I'd be willing to bet that even very mediocre teams like Missouri and Texas A&M would automatically compete due to recruiting perception.... Oh, wait.

Additionally, I can't think of a team we couldn't compete against tomorrow in the sec east. Throw in the free recruiting from espn, and I think we'd be just fine in the sec.

All that said, I would rather stick with our conference and ride out this sec mania. espn will take on another project soon enough when it becomes financially apparent that they've isolated entire regions of the country.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If I only cared about football, I'd probably say SEC, regardless of academics. But, I think the ACC is better for us for Basketball and Baseball as well as academics and now road to CG.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
SEC for historical and tradition reasons primarily. I think our recruiting would improve just by joining but we will always be at a recruiting disadvantage with the factories.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
SEC for historical and tradition reasons primarily.

We were a member of the SEC from 1933 to 1964, 32 years. We have been a member of the ACC since 1979, 36 years and counting. Historically, we are now more aligned with the ACC than the SEC.

I voted ACC. I was born in '62 and started at Tech in '80. Having been born in Michigan and grew up in Florida, I had no knowledge of Tech's sports history before I stepped foot on campus. For me, Tech has always been associated with the ACC. For me, the SEC membership is just a historical footnote along the lines of Heisman coaching at Tech, nothing more. Anyone under the age of 55 will have no personal recollections of us participating in the SEC.

To me, the ACC represents college athletics while the SEC is more like a semi-pro league. I like knowing that the vast majority of athletes representing my school are truly student athletes. I like seeing some of the ACC stadiums that have an area where fans watch the game sitting on blankets rather than the larger than NFL-size SEC stadiums.

Finally, living in Gainesville, I very much dislike the SEC mentality. I do not want to be assimilated into that crowd.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Acc vote is the conservative choice . It allows for an average tech team to lose to big four, run table against the rest of acc and the the patsies on schedule. Coach keeps job and crappy bowl streak continues.

Why SEC? Attitude of excellence of SEC football best matches our attitude of overall university excellence.
Please don't compare us to vanderbuilt. Vanderbilt is no ga tech. Their football tradition is not even in ga techs class
We would benefit from recruiting as the low end academic has plenty of schools in sec, while the middle and upper only has Vanderbilt. Playing sec teams would make our Atlanta location is bigger draw for recruiting in the metro.
(We would need to have a pro type offense that could draw a stud qb (not usually a low academic type) and we should keep a blitzing defense so stud defense recruits could visualize being on espn, )
Even with improved recruiting we would have lower lows, but we would have higher highs. Overtime we could be in top 1/ 3 of sec which is defined as two of these ala, lsu, fla ( one having off year) plus 1 of the rest.

We would rise to the competition.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We would benefit from recruiting as the low end academic has plenty of schools in sec, while the middle and upper only has Vanderbilt.
This is false. A lot of kids that fit this description end up at factories every year. Remember the kid Brandon Thompson we wanted so badly that ended up at Bama?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Big10 based on academics. Like GT all members of the Big 10 are members of the Association of American Universities (except Nebraska which was kicked out of the AAU the year they joined the conference. It is just a better academic fit. And, yes I realize that the Big10 schools carry hundreds of majors some of which are crip majors for the athletic department.
Besides I detest the way GT gets screwed on scheduling by the ACC.

If you do not know the AAU see here: http://www.aau.edu/