Georgia Tech’s Inability to Land In-State Talent is Becoming Problematic

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
"Just do it," "Just win," and "Just be a top 20 program" are not strategies but goals.

Once you establish your goals, your strategies for reaching those goals must account for circumstances.

If you insist on labelling any discussion of circumstances as "excuse making," then you are treating the goal as if it were a strategy.

It's like a coach calling the play from the sideline, "Score a TD," and then complaining about missed blocks. When the players respond that they didn't know who to block without a specific play, he says, "Stop making excuses."

Good analogy. You must actually be in business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Right, I just brought up Stanford because its the worthless school a lot of people bring up to say that Tech should be able to recruit like. And I mean 'worthless school' because 90% of their football players major in worthless crap we don't offer and shouldn't ever offer. Hell, like half the team lists their major as 'Undeclared'. Other degree paths include garbage like Communication and Media Studies. There is Stanford-the-main-school, and then there is Stanford-for-the-football-team that is probably worse quality than a rural community college.

@bwelbo, I usually agree with a lot of what you say, and find it logical and/or balanced. But "probably worse quality than a rural community college"? Stanford? C'mon, man.

Deleted member 2897

@bwelbo, I usually agree with a lot of what you say, and find it logical and/or balanced. But "probably worse quality than a rural community college"? Stanford? C'mon, man.

Yes I was embellishing the story. But the main point is that the classes and majors that football players at Stanford take bear little resemblance to the main college body. Previous links above reference news stories about it. You can go look at their majors for yourself. Of course its not fair to say a degree in Media Studies at Stanford is like something from Upper Mississippi Community College, so you are right to call me out on that. But what I am trying to say if I settle down just a bit is that there is a big difference between a degree in Media Studies and a degree in Civil Engineering, Business, Economics, Mechanical Engineering, Construction Management, or you name it. Stanford has a distinctly different path for football players, just like many football factories. So lets not be silly and compare what our football players take and what's available to them versus theirs. 80% of Georgia Tech student athletes are either STEM majors or Business Majors. Look at their list - its a very small percentage...nearly the inverse. Which runs counter to their general student population.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Nope, but Grade A+ job of putting words in my mouth.

Your post, referring to Stanford said:"Other degree paths include garbage like Communication and Media Studies." I pointed out that GT has a "garbage" major in Literature, Media and Communications.

Apparently, you don't know what words are in your mouth. Or what majors GT offers. But you can keep spewing from your message board mouth. No intelligence required.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We are doing much better however the bor allows uga to offer many many degree options.
I heard they have 15 variations for an art degree.
I think the BOR will keep us in a box.

I hope the new ast coach from texas can get some talent from the schools around houston and dallas. These are really good school districts that are strong in football. The ones to north of town have just approved another 500million dollar bond for more new schools.

Our best hope is to have another great year.

northgajacket

Banned
We are doing much better however the bor allows uga to offer many many degree options.
I heard they have 15 variations for an art degree.
I think the BOR will keep us in a box.

I hope the new ast coach from texas can get some talent from the schools around houston and dallas. These are really good school districts that are strong in football. The ones to north of town have just approved another 500million dollar bond for more new schools.

Our best hope is to have another great year.

Don't forget housing at uga

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
College is not easy. GT is hard. I don't care what the major is. Many high school students and athletes struggle with math and science. If your not in the top 10% in the state in those 2 subjects your going to have a very hard time getting thru the first two years of STEM mandatory classes at GT. Sure if your a ENG major the basic STEM classes are not a killer, but for the average 4.0 GPA, Zell Miller SAT student its a hard path to a degree. Nothing more fun than Cal, Accounting and a Science class measuring how long it takes for a star dust particle to get from some galaxy to your anus. No shortcuts, high character guys that work hard on and off the field. Sell that.

Deleted member 2897

Your post, referring to Stanford said:"Other degree paths include garbage like Communication and Media Studies." I pointed out that GT has a "garbage" major in Literature, Media and Communications.

Apparently, you don't know what words are in your mouth. Or what majors GT offers. But you can keep spewing from your message board mouth. No intelligence required.

Right, but originally you said it incorrectly and most importantly you misconstrued the point of my post - which is the vast majority of Stanford's football players don't take the same type of majors that the regular students do. 80% of Tech student athletes major in Engineering or Business. Stanford is the inverse. I know very well what words are in my mouth, and they are in black and white here if I ever forget. So next time, just don't change my words (even if subtle).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
College is not easy. GT is hard. I don't care what the major is. Many high school students and athletes struggle with math and science. If your not in the top 10% in the state in those 2 subjects your going to have a very hard time getting thru the first two years of STEM mandatory classes at GT. Sure if your a ENG major the basic STEM classes are not a killer, but for the average 4.0 GPA, Zell Miller SAT student its a hard path to a degree. Nothing more fun than Cal, Accounting and a Science class measuring how long it takes for a star dust particle to get from some galaxy to your anus. No shortcuts, high character guys that work hard on and off the field. Sell that.
It's spelled "Uranus".;)

NatvAtln

Georgia Tech Fan
GT is a cross between what the best of the Ivy league and Military Academies Offer that happens to be the ONLY school of that type competing in a Power 5 Conference. The prediction of academic success has to be priority one otherwise a scholarship is wasted no matter how talented a player is coming out of HS. Travis Custus wanted to be a Yellow Jacket but unfortunately he wasn't prepared coming out of HS for the academic rigors of the Institute. It's unfortunate that effort failed but that is the reality of academic standards. He would have been a great player for GT.

What needs to be embraced is that currently GT is viewed as "Princeton Basketball" back in their heyday under Coach Pete Carillo when they went into the NCAA March Madness Tournament each year and NOBODY EVER wanted to play against them. They upset UCLA one year and every Coach hated to be in the same bracket with them.

That's how CPJ has the Yellow Jackets poised as a football team headed into every season. Nobody wants to play against us regardless of the number of 4 and 5 star kids they have on their rosters. CPJ has put together some great teams and looking forward to another one in 2017.

NatvAtln

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with you and I go way back to the late 40's in viewing and following Tech. I also remember Billy Lothridge, Stan Gann, John Dewberry , up to current stars. I personally get so tired of these same old debates ( but I read them ) comparing who we are who some want us to be etc. I personally Think Paul Johnson hung the moon as a coach for GA Tech.I will be 76 next month and I hope he stays around until I am gone.Now don't get me wrong we can do some things Much better. I have always thought our marketing was pathetic. We desperately need to add more staff to help our coaches . I believe our new Athletic Director will be a big plus. The bottom line is in my opinion be careful what you wish for especially in our society today. Sorry for getting somewhat off the point.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A lot of what we could do better comes down to money/budget. You'd think with one in 5 millionaires we'd have better financial support from our alums. I wonder what percentage of our alumni contribute to GTAA compared to other programs. Is our base just too small or is it the percentage of our base that watch football too small? Or is it we're just a bunch of tight wads with our money?

Deleted member 2897

A lot of what we could do better comes down to money/budget. You'd think with one in 5 millionaires we'd have better financial support from our alums. I wonder what percentage of our alumni contribute to GTAA compared to other programs. Is our base just too small or is it the percentage of our base that watch football too small? Or is it we're just a bunch of tight wads with our money?

As I see it, we have both a much smaller alumni pool than average, and a much smaller percentage of alumni who do give:
http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2016/05/percent-of-alumni-who-donate.html

Think about all the challenges we all discuss. Many international students who care less about American sports like Football than the average American. Many academically minded folks who are studying instead of going to games. Many out of state students who leave and go back home after graduating and don't follow Tech sports as well.

That's why I have always said that those of us who do give need to give more than our fair share to make up for this. We need to be shown a path to success, needs, money, and asked for it, and I bet you'd see a much better response. I don't necessarily think we need to squeeze our higher donators more - I think there are a lot of 'average joes' making $100k-$300k/year who could each be giving much more. Re-explaining all this to them (why we need to give more, not just to reach our goals but because of who are alumni are) I think will yield great fruit.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
As I see it, we have both a much smaller alumni pool than average, and a much smaller percentage of alumni who do give:
http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2016/05/percent-of-alumni-who-donate.html

Think about all the challenges we all discuss. Many international students who care less about American sports like Football than the average American. Many academically minded folks who are studying instead of going to games. Many out of state students who leave and go back home after graduating and don't follow Tech sports as well.

That's why I have always said that those of us who do give need to give more than our fair share to make up for this. We need to be shown a path to success, needs, money, and asked for it, and I bet you'd see a much better response. I don't necessarily think we need to squeeze our higher donators more - I think there are a lot of 'average joes' making $100k-$300k/year who could each be giving much more. Re-explaining all this to them (why we need to give more, not just to reach our goals but because of who are alumni are) I think will yield great fruit.
I just glanced at the chart, but how is UVa and Miami listed ahead of Tech. when we are over 5% and they are under?

Deleted member 2897

I just glanced at the chart, but how is UVa and Miami listed ahead of Tech. when we are over 5% and they are under?

Its in order of the percent who give, and they all tie at 5% if you drop the decimals...they just don't show the first decimal place...or else they'd see we should be listed higher. This is what happens when a non-Tech person does math. :D

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I would be interested in someone providing data on what percentage of the players on Teams like UT, UGag, etc would simply not be accepted academically at Tech. Those teams are trying to get the best athletes possible and I am sure that they would prefer for them to also be bright and disciplined enough to thrive academically. Obviously, to me at least, they could not retain their current level of recruiting classes if they had Tech's academics. Another interesting question would be how well Tech would do against those teams if they couldn't play those players?
I fail to understand the perspective that if Tech just casts a wider net (with lower resources than many competitors) recruiting problems would be solved. As so many have pointed out there are many other limitations that no doubt impact recruiting as well. I hope that one day Tech will regularly have top 20 classes but if achieved I would be more shocked than if we win the NC this year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don't necessarily think we need to squeeze our higher donators more - I think there are a lot of 'average joes' making $100k-$300k/year who could each be giving much more. Re-explaining all this to them (why we need to give more, not just to reach our goals but because of who are alumni are) I think will yield great fruit.
Well here's a thought- quit screwing with us. Here's a few ideas:

A. Mail our tickets out a few days rather than a couple weeks before the season starts so those of us that travel have absolutely no chance of getting or tickets for the first game of the season. We only paid for them 6 months before and we understand how hard it it to mail merchandise out on a schedule like Amazon. Take the few extra days to "get it right". It makes easy trips like Dublin more exciting (oh hell I forgot you even forgot to mail my tix for that one and I got to go to the ticketmaster help desk pre-game with other hacked off fans which was awesome).

B. We're a technology school and we act like we're in the Stone Age. Stop being so cheap with our athletic program- maybe buy another chalkboard or two?

C. How about getting some more sports wear for the bookstore that looks like it was rescued from Goodwill?

D. Another novel thought- maybe we can schedule all of our home games as early in the season as possible and make them all noon starts so are butts are good and roasted by October

E. Hey, kick the mutts to the curb so we can schedule another FCS team each year. Maybe we can negotiate home/away series with them FCS'ers? Nobody else does that & it could be a novel marketing ploy.

F. The cheap "garage sale" style coasters that came with season tickets were phenomenal. Maybe we could double down on the brainiac that cranked out that gem and see if he can one up himself this year?

G. Double the pay for the next coach we're about to fire and make sure it's a guaranteed 7 year payout. That way next year we have something to ***** about for another 3-4yrs while we're begging for money to pay for the bad decision and can't hire a decent coach because we're too poor.

There's a lot of positive marketing that could be done but this horse has been beat a million times. If GT's too geeky or dorky to do marketing than hire somebody that specialize in marketing to pick up the slack. What we're doing now is embarassing. At the very least we can stop shooting ourselves in the schlong by operating like a bunch of complete imbeciles.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
A lot of what we could do better comes down to money/budget. You'd think with one in 5 millionaires we'd have better financial support from our alums. I wonder what percentage of our alumni contribute to GTAA compared to other programs. Is our base just too small or is it the percentage of our base that watch football too small? Or is it we're just a bunch of tight wads with our ?

Yes, yes, and yes. And you are welcome

If there truly are infinite realities out there...I would love to see a cable feed of a CPJ coached Clemson / FSU...or even better Notre Dame....Saban would **** his pants b4 playoff matchups were set..