Georgia State vs Bobby Dodd Stadium

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The highest concentration of Tech alumni is N Atlanta. I wonder what would happen if Tech built a 30,000 seat, state of the art stadium there for a few games there and rented it for events to others on non game days ... I know Stansbury wants MBS because he can sell corporate suites and booze, but and potential fans (families) are in Dunwoody, Roswell and Alpharetta.

We love BDS. But while it was state of the art in 1960, it is not current with today’s expectations. Just my opinion.

Interesting concept but I have one major concern. Is there any off campus stadium that does well in attendance? Possibly NC State and USC/UCLA in the Rose Bowl (not sure they draw well though) but I believe there are more models that make this a troubling proposition. I think the better alternative would be to remodel and downsize BDS where it now sits. It brings the on campus vibe that I (and suspect many other old alums) like in a game day environment and after being to games at many other southern stadiums, I think parking and traffic there are a nonfactor. In fact, I struggle to think of any easier stadium and/or games to attend.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I get it. I prefer the stadium experience from the 80's.

But if you read the fan preference surveys for new stadium design, clearly tastes have changed. A new stadium recently went up, 20K attendance and parking is super easy. It looks like it will be very fan friendly.

I'm not sure it matters much. I understand that 30 years ago, it was stadium attendance that mattered. Now, they look at "views" and break that down by live (stadium), stream, phone, etc. The total number is what they look at ... so I don't think you'll see AD's fret too much about declining live attendance as long as the stream compensates.

I recall reading that no one really cares if ANYONE attends a live game. College football is content now ... look at the Wednesday night games. Nary a fan in sight.
For longtime fans, those amenities would be nice but generally make no difference to whether they will attend or not. I'd watch Tech at Bobby Dodd over MB anyday of the week, rain or shine, trough urinals and all.

But for sidewalk fans, those amenities or lack thereof, are much more important. I'd say I'm sort of a sidewalk Atl Utd fan - I go to a game or two a season, although I don't particularly like soccer and don't really give a crap whether they win or not. For me its just about the experience of being at the game which is much more influenced by the availability of food and drinks, the seating, etc. If they played their games at Bobby Dodd like they did originally, I would never go - too hot, uncomfortable seating, limited food options, etc.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Interesting concept but I have one major concern. Is there any off campus stadium that does well in attendance? Possibly NC State and USC/UCLA in the Rose Bowl (not sure they draw well though) but I believe there are more models that make this a troubling proposition. I think the better alternative would be to remodel and downsize BDS where it now sits. It brings the on campus vibe that I (and suspect many other old alums) like in a game day environment and after being to games at many other southern stadiums, I think parking and traffic there are a nonfactor. In fact, I struggle to think of any easier stadium and/or games to attend.
I don't disagree, but the likelihood of a replacement stadium (IMO) is zero. The two things that are most problematic are a) parking incl ingress and egress, and b) tailgating.

BDS is just not set up well for the current preferences. If it were me, I would bulldoze Peters Park and create an Atlanta version of the Grove. Best game day experience ever.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
For longtime fans, those amenities would be nice but generally make no difference to whether they will attend or not. I'd watch Tech at Bobby Dodd over MB anyday of the week, rain or shine, trough urinals and all.

But for sidewalk fans, those amenities or lack thereof, are much more important. I'd say I'm sort of a sidewalk Atl Utd fan - I go to a game or two a season, although I don't particularly like soccer and don't really give a crap whether they win or not. For me its just about the experience of being at the game which is much more influenced by the availability of food and drinks, the seating, etc. If they played their games at Bobby Dodd like they did originally, I would never go - too hot, uncomfortable seating, limited food options, etc.
I think the reality is ... attendance is in long-term decline. Big stadiums don't make economic sense because there are so many more options today. I would far prefer a great 30,000 seat stadium than a 100,000 seat that is half full, and I've gone to a few of those.

I hear you on MBS, but the food and booze options are better, but the ingress and egress sucks.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow...when I was a kid just going to Grant Field and watching the Jackets was the game day experience. The Ramblin Wreck, the band, the flash cards. Lunch at the Varsity prior to the game. Now what we have to entertain people while they are at the game? Hell many I look at are so busy on their smart phones what need is there for more entertainment.

Bring back the guys selling cokes in the stands.....
I know what you mean by the stadium energy or lack thereof. I sold programs as a student in the lower East Stands from 1979 until about 1991. The last 4 years was an event with my little brother in the Big Brother Program. When you got near my gate, fans knew they were coming to a ballgame. My favorite line was, "Get your official souvenir program!" My favorite customer was someone many of you know- he and his wife parked the Buzz Mobile right near the North End zone. I had a very loud voice. People came in fired up. Most fans had to have a program back then. My individual record was 200 programs the last trip the Bear came to Atlanta on opening day. Bill Curry pulled the upset in Tuscaloosa the year before- but Bear got some revenge his last trip.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know what you mean by the stadium energy or lack thereof. I sold programs as a student in the lower East Stands from 1979 until about 1991. The last 4 years was an event with my little brother in the Big Brother Program. When you got near my gate, fans knew they were coming to a ballgame. My favorite line was, "Get your official souvenir program!" My favorite customer was someone many of you know- he and his wife parked the Buzz Mobile right near the North End zone. I had a very loud voice. People came in fired up. Most fans had to have a program back then. My individual record was 200 programs the last trip the Bear came to Atlanta on opening day. Bill Curry pulled the upset in Tuscaloosa the year before- but Bear got some revenge his last trip.
I think the low energy & need for entertainment may stem from the ridiculous amount of time in the stadium wasted on TV timeouts. Since nearly every game is on TV, this is a constant. It's not as noticeable or painful when viewing from home as it is easy to get to the restroom, "concession stand", change channels, etc. I believe this is killing attendance as much as anything.

I wish the game could be televised like soccer is (without commercial breaks disrupting flow of the game). I think soccer will eventually take over FB in popularity in the US due to this nonstop action. 30 years ago I would of thought ths idea was ludicrous. 50 years ago my friends and I didn't know soccer even existed.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think the low energy & need for entertainment may stem from the ridiculous amount of time in the stadium wasted on TV timeouts. Since nearly every game is on TV, this is a constant. It's not as noticeable or painful when viewing from home as it is easy to get to the restroom, "concession stand", change channels, etc. I believe this is killing attendance as much as anything.

I wish the game could be televised like soccer is (without commercial breaks disrupting flow of the game). I think soccer will eventually take over FB in popularity in the US due to this nonstop action. 30 years ago I would of thought ths idea was ludicrous. 50 years ago my friends and I didn't know soccer even existed.
To be clear, "game day experience" is not just "entertainment". It's the whole package of the team walk, the band coming down Third Street, the food trucks, the tailgating, etc. Atlanta United is a good example of a great game day experience and I know many "fans" who attend those games and have no idea of what is going on with the game ... they just want to enjoy a fun event with their friends.

I have been to most of the SEC stadiums and TBH, ours is very gimmicky by comparison. I'm not a fan of the announcer as he sounds like the dude from Arby's ("We got the Meats!) and some of the activities and videos feel like a AAA baseball game. I'm sure TStan understands his market and what he's trying to do but ... it could be better. Perhaps they are appealing to a different segment and I'm just not in the know. Probably true.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have a terminal case of nostalgia for those days. And earlier. Anyone remember those souvenir stands (I think they were at the gate that was torn down a few years ago) that included pins and buttons and those little football dolls in approximately the right color of the teams playing and the plastic designed to look like they were wearing leather helmets?

Those times were electric as a kid. The crowd seemed deafening at the opening kickoff.