Georgia Southern / Presbyterian College

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
One of those games, forget about it and move on. Southern adds another two runs on a single, two wild pitches, three more walks and a single that really should have been scored an error. Pitching on the night 10 hits, 4 BB, 4 HBP and 2 errors. Down 10-6 heading to the 9th.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Not many positives in this one for me.
Simpson was 4-4
Parada with first dinger
Hall with first dinger
McNamee bounced back

Bleah, on to the next one. Let’s hope this doesn’t become a habit

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Pitching doesn’t stand out as the disappointment as much as our fielding did tonight. I didn’t expect ace pitching for a midweek game this early on but defense was concerning. Need to beat UGA and make up for this one.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
From D1 Baseball preview on Georgia Southern. Projected starter (Madden) is a graduate transfer who throws in the 90s.
‐----------------------------
Georgia Southern put together an impressive 2021 campaign with a 34-win season, and it should be much of the same for Rodney Hennon’s club in 2022.

For starters, the Eagles should have a quality pitching staff. Lefthanded pitcher Ty Fisher joins the program after spending last season at Tennessee Tech and tallying a 4.26 ERA in 76 innings along with 60 strikeouts and 15 walks. He’s a strike-thrower who sits in the 86-88 mph range with his fastball and can throw multiple pitches for strikes. The next three arms in the pecking order are better prospects than Fisher, but have more to prove. Jaylen Paden only worked 25 innings for the Eagles last season, but has electric stuff. He has a quick arm from a 3/4 slot, and will sit anywhere from 91-94 mph with his fastball along with a sharp slider and feel for a changeup. Ben Johnson, another righthander, will have a larger role this spring after making just four starts (21 appearances) last season. He has excellent command of the zone and will get up to 93-94 mph with his fastball, along with a workable slider and changeup. Then, there’s Towson graduate transfer lefty Danny Madden, who was 90-92 and up to 93 mph with his fastball in the fall, along with good feel for the slider and changeup. Those arms are just the tip of the iceberg for GSU. Thomas Ross missed much of last season with an injury, but has a low-90s fastball along with a big-time swing and miss breaking ball. He’ll occupy the closer role.

From an offensive standpoint, the Eagles have some guys who will need to step up, and they also look for some newcomers to make an instant impact. For instance, Alabama transfer Will Patota didn’t have a great 2021 campaign, but has a physical lefthanded bat and will hit somewhere in the middle of the order. Parker Biederer was one of the team’s most improved hitters in ’21, and he’s back for another season after hitting .336 last season. Shortstop Austin Thompson is another dependable veteran, while Jarrett Brown is an athletic, special kind of player, who just needs to find a way to put all the pieces together at the plate. Furthermore, Jason Swan is back and the second baseman position belongs to Kennesaw State transfer Jesse Sherrill, who might lead off for the Eagles and who has plus speed. He can bunt for hits and puts immense pressure on opposing teams with his legs.
Southern clearly outpitched our kids last night...they were hitting corners and getting offspeed across for strikes while we struggled from the mound across the board.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Southern clearly outpitched our kids last night...they were hitting corners and getting offspeed across for strikes while we struggled from the mound across the board.
I wouldn't go that far. We struck out swinging a bunch, appeared we committed to swing before the pitch was thrown. Most of their strike outs were looking. They for sure out hit us, both solid contact in the gaps and little bloopers, Willie Mays Hayes style. Our lack of defense was the reason for the loss along with a slight mess of base running.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone ever here what CDH was so irritated about when he came out to talk to the umpires during the middle innings?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of those games, forget about it and move on. Southern adds another two runs on a single, two wild pitches, three more walks and a single that really should have been scored an error. Pitching on the night 10 hits, 4 BB, 4 HBP and 2 errors. Down 10-6 heading to the 9th.

FYSA @dadair6 , we were in chat during the game last night.

Southern deserved to win. We had reckless baserunning, terrible fielding and inconsistent pitching. Agree with @TooTall that we committed more like 8 errors / unmade plays shoulda plays. Pitchers are generally bad fielders - another argument for college small ball.

Bright side
  • All that said, we are 3-1 which is where I guessed we'd be.. (Actually I figured 2.8 wins but whose counting. It baseball and **** happens.)
  • We win tonight and it's fully flushed.
  • We pitched 7 pitchers. Some sank and some swam. We'll find out who the gamers are and adjust for the rest of the season. Quick Hook Hall was in the house. I want to win more in postseason than early season!!
  • Loved lead off bunt single by Chandler. Will open up the field more for him.
    1645637504288.png

GT baseball fan

Georgia Tech Fan
Did anyone ever here what CDH was so irritated about when he came out to talk to the umpires during the middle innings?
It appeared to be regarding an “umpire call” on a pitch that was called a ball on McNamee that was believed to have hit the bat. I think Parada called attention to it but with no review the umps wouldn’t override the call.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate taking Reid out, and Anderson has struggled so Borden makes sense

Does this mean we see Roedig this weekend?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice 17-7 win. Was 8-7 in the 7th.

A bunch more pitchers including Roedig who stuck out the side in the 9th. Hope he gets lengthened and can start on the weekends. Some others struggled as seen below. We have lots of depth. Love that we are seeing so many to develop the gamer talent.

Cody was real good. Missed seeing Logan pitch a good inning.

Fielding not good again and some baserunning errors. Many more teachable moments as @FredJacket said.

1645663657854.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nice 17-7 win. Was 8-7 in the 7th.

A bunch more pitchers including Roedig who stuck out the side in the 9th. Hope he gets lengthened and can start on the weekends. Some others struggled as seen below. We have lots of depth. Love that we are seeing so many to develop the gamer talent.

Fielding not good again and some baserunning errors. Many more teachable moments as @FredJacket said.

View attachment 12142
As far as I can tell... the closer job is still open & advertised. Roedig?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Still very unhappy about our defense. We are yielding A LOT of runs.

Agree. Of the three phases of the game pitching, offense and defense, I think defense is the lagging one. But has been improved somewhat in past years by tinkering with the positions. Problem is that many are on pitchers.

Comparing errors over the years is inaccurate since many bad plays are not called errors and should be IMHO. But assuming the same level of inaccurate scoring occurs, we have fewer errors per game in the first 5 game (1 per game in five games) versus 1.27 per game last year (71 errors in 51 games).

Since each error on average across college baseball results in .77 runs, this is a big deal. But not as big as the 5.71 ERA we had last year (a touch lower at 5.5 this season through last night) or 6.6 runs per game (earned and unearned) we scored on average last year.

But yeah, I'm an engineer and therefor unhappy about something.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
6.6 runs per game given the level of opposition thus far strikes me as a huge problem.

Once we get into ACC and SEC opponents, it's another matter, but sheesh!