Georgia Southern -- Never again (or at least no time soon)

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I read somewhere just after the game there was talk of setting up another game with Southern. I hope to goodness that never happens. There may come a day when this changes, but for now, I'd rather we not do this. As we have all seen, they are a good program and one on the rise, but the national perception is such that you are buried if you lose to them. Very little cred for beating them. Don't do it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With ND some years in addition to ACC games and UGAg, we only have two "optional" games a lot of years.

I've got no problem playing Ga Southern every year. They will get better and be more challenging. I really respect how they never gave up. Plus their fans overall seem pretty civil. A lot more than I can say for some of our other annual games.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
Now that they are in FBS, and assuming they will bring that type of crowd every time, what a great way to fill what is normally a garbage game! Could be a great rivalry. I am in favor of playing every year if they will agree to play them all in Atlanta.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
And yes, I expect southern would occasionally beat us. That is okay, it's part of a rivalry. We aren't competing for national championships any way, and even if we were, such a team won't have any trouble with southern anyway.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hate the thread title. I don't think we should be afraid to play anybody. I'm for scheduling Pwr5, FCS, and either GaSouthern or GaState every year.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I say every 3-4 years, and only home games.
It is a no win for us, but they have a strong program and give us a good test. I wouldnt give them the recruiting boost by playing them every year though.
If you're looking to blow out every OOC opponent then there will be a lot of empty seats at BDS. One cupcake a year is enough for me.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I read somewhere just after the game there was talk of setting up another game with Southern. I hope to goodness that never happens. There may come a day when this changes, but for now, I'd rather we not do this. As we have all seen, they are a good program and one on the rise, but the national perception is such that you are buried if you lose to them. Very little cred for beating them. Don't do it.
I actually agree with you. It has nothing to do with being scared of them either. It just seems smart and prudent. We already have one other school that we compete with on an uneven playing field, where football runs the school and players are admitted without any real expectation that they are college material. All it would take is one more close game with GSU or, heaven forbid, a loss and suddenly Tech would no longer be considered a desirable place to play FBS level play in the state. Now GSU would be considered, along with Georgia, as a place to skate by in the classroom and work on your pro game. We already have more than enough competition for players in the state without giving GSU a free leg up based on our prestige and history. Playing GSU regularly would be a no-win situation for Tech. We get nothing out of it and stand to lose a lot.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If we beat them 10 years in a row and they beat us once, then the media and everyone in Georgia will declare us the third best team in the state. We will be ridiculed relentlessly. I enjoyed the game, but there isn't a great reason to play them consistently.