Georgia Postgame

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sure about that ? I feel like we're getting more turnovers, strips, and just better overall tackling
Than previous years. The score doesn't reflect that because the offense hasnt really given the d any sort of rest period.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Our DFEI, which factors in everything, including SoS, is atrocious. Going into today's game we were ranked 92nd. I'm fairly certain todays results won't improve that ranking.

We rank 98th in takeaways per game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/takeaways-per-game

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's my thoughts:

Most fans and pundits have been saying for years that moving away from the triple option would take years and be a true rebuild. Going into this season, we were predicted to be as bad as we have proven to be by the same folks who also predict(ed) our coach to be successful in the long run. It's disappointing and frustrating to suck this much, but what really disappoints me is the vitriol that seems to spread through every thread on every board. Talk about pointless. It's pointless to spread such negativity when faced with a season that meets outside expectations. Doing so actively undermines the coaching staff and team. It's sickening. We're taking steps towards building a better program, but it's silly to expect that a team with so few seniors (and with those seniors almost entirely playing out of position, being injured, or being transfers from lower schools) and playing as many walkons as we are to even be competitive. The same problems that we complained about with the previous staff still existed today, but guess what... The new staff is doing the things to address those issues. It's just not an overnight fix and we aren't going to take shortcuts. Get on board.

You and I are 2 generations a part, have different uniform tastes, and view CGC from two different lens...but I also respect ur take. It’s always genuine and fair.
Thanks. I thought the uniforms we wore today were the best looking uniforms we have worn all year, other than the all whites for the white-out game. I never want to see us in all blue uniforms again. Sorry, but that is not Georgia Tech. As I have said, I am not pulling against CGC, but I AM hoping he sees that he won't get anywhere with P'nut as his OC. I really like what I have seen of all the other assistants, but I just don't think P'nut has a clue.

901jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Ok, so after time to come off of the initial reaction here is my take.

1. The student section was empty 10 minutes before kickoff. I don't know how you change this, but as a relatively recent alumnus, I was very embarrassed

2. There was far too much red in the stands, and other than the TD, onside kick sequence the Tech crowd wasn't loud. There was no home field advantage.

3. D played fairly well the first half, but the lack of offensove production killed us again.

4. The onside kick was the best coaching decision Collins has made all year.

5. The Oline did better than expected, they weren't great, but #4 had some chances to do something.

7. The WR need to work on hanging onto balls, we had a number of drives stall because kids dropped balls that were in the breadbasket. My wife was making better catches at the tailgate than we were.

8. JG is frustratingly inconsistent, hopefully this improves as he matures.

9. Refs sucked, and extended some 2nd half drives for the gaggers with no-calls and timely PIs.

10. I hope Harvin is back next year, and that a kicker figures **** out and comes to play. I'm glad that their kicker is graduating.

11. Collins honey moon period is over. He needs to win recruiting battles (holding onto Gibbs would be awesome) and start coaching them up. This December and February signing days will be telling. Even more telling will be the ones next year. If he can consistently pull good classes he'll buy himself more time.

How about the red IN the student and Swarm sections? I understand bringing friends/family but dangit if I'd let them in there wearing red. Tell them to wear black or white or they can sit somewhere else.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So how would one expect CGC to describe his current roster without totally alienating fans, players, potential recruits and their mamas? The lack of fan objectivity regarding the state of our football team is laughable.

Believe it or not, there are tons of adjectives you can choose from. Just because he's limited himself to 6 or 7 doesn't mean other options aren't available.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Here's my thoughts:

Most fans and pundits have been saying for years that moving away from the triple option would take years and be a true rebuild. Going into this season, we were predicted to be as bad as we have proven to be by the same folks who also predict(ed) our coach to be successful in the long run. It's disappointing and frustrating to suck this much, but what really disappoints me is the vitriol that seems to spread through every thread on every board. Talk about pointless. It's pointless to spread such negativity when faced with a season that meets outside expectations. Doing so actively undermines the coaching staff and team. It's sickening. We're taking steps towards building a better program, but it's silly to expect that a team with so few seniors (and with those seniors almost entirely playing out of position, being injured, or being transfers from lower schools) and playing as many walkons as we are to even be competitive. The same problems that we complained about with the previous staff still existed today, but guess what... The new staff is doing the things to address those issues. It's just not an overnight fix and we aren't going to take shortcuts. Get on board.
If the coaches give a single f—- what a bunch of anonymous randos say online, they’re a bunch of losers who wouldn’t succeed regardless of our level of support.

How about the red IN the student and Swarm sections? I understand bringing friends/family but dangit if I'd let them in there wearing red. Tell them to wear black or white or they can sit somewhere else.
I used to bring a physically handicapped friend to the COFH game in Atlanta every two years who is a mutt fan, but I always told him that he could not wear red or anything indicating he was a mutt fan. He gladly complied simply because he really wanted to be at the games.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Having a "Yellow Jackets" cheer about 10 seconds after the resounding UGA chants wasnt any better

Especially when the east stands had about a couple hundred Tech fans at best to tell "Yellow"

The fact that the yellow jacket cheer has to be coordinated by the PA announcer in the first place is pathetic and embarrassing. It should happen spontaneously about a dozen times per game like the chants of other schools with real fan bases... like the visitors that come to our stadiums and take over the places with their chants without having to be prompted or instructed by a cheesy PA announcer.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks. I thought the uniforms we wore today were the best looking uniforms we have worn all year, other than the all whites for the white-out game. I never want to see us in all blue uniforms again. Sorry, but that is not Georgia Tech. As I have said, I am not pulling against CGC, but I AM hoping he sees that he won't get anywhere with P'nut as his OC. I really like what I have seen of all the other assistants, but I just don't think P'nut has a clue.
I get what Pnut wants to do. He wants to a Steve spurrier offense where we throw the ball down field and burn out the defense before we rip off big runs. I just think that’s a misguided strategy given our personnel.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has the #1 defense and actually has an offense to go with it.
Georgia has good defense, offense is horrible. So yeah ugag has some bad coaching not to mention the # of times not so smart has ****ed up in big games.
With the talent ugag has there are many coaches that would've won a few nattys.

I hate uga as much as the next guy but Clemson hasn't faced the level of competition UGA has either. Either way 1 or 2 is a great no matter the talent you have. Auburn just put up 48 on Alabama and 14 on UGA. They have excellent coaches. Pointing to one year where their offense has struggled really isn't an indication on how their program is top 5 in the country. Also pointing to one game south Carolina as them being idiots is pretty stupid. Oklahoma lost to Kansas state. Who here wouldn't be pumped about a Lincoln riley hire?

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
This
Here's my thoughts:

Maybe the mods should make this the “read this before entering” excerpt above rules and norms.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If the coaches give a single f—- what a bunch of anonymous randos say online, they’re a bunch of losers who wouldn’t succeed regardless of our level of support.

Actually, the losers are the anonymous randos who run down people on staff constantly for no benefit. If you're really interested in GT being successful, and think you have the right moves to make, then send your thoughts to ADTS. After all, it is the decision he has made, with probably big money people in his ear, as to why GT football is where it is today.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, the Van Gorder year is the year I referenced when I said 2014 wasn't the biggest transition away from the option that GSU went through.

To go off a bit on a tangent, I think a lot of people tend to think GSU went something like Johnson - Van Gorder - Monken.

They didn't. After Johnson left they stuck with the option with Mike Sewak. He had some success but was a clear step down, and when they came to that conclusion they reached the conclusion that if they didn't have Johnson the option wasn't going to be the great weapon that it was otherwise. That's why they switched away. They went with Van Gorder and he struggled mightily for many of the same reasons we are now. But in addition to struggling on the field he also messed with a lot of the traditions that GSU had which made fans that much angrier at him, to the point they would boo his children at their athletic events. It led to him resigning, not being fired. However, they didn't go right back to the option. They went with Hatcher who stepped up to 7-4 the second year away from the option. Realistically if Van Gorder doesn't resign after year 1 his year 2 is probably a lot better than year 1 because the transition is a huge thing whether people want to admit it or not. Anyways, Hatcher stagnated, less because of the transition and more because that's just the level of coach he was. GSU then returned to the option with Monken who had success but he was more of a return to Sewak than he was a return to Johnson. They were good, but not competing for national championships at that level good. That, along with Sewak the first time, is why GSU decided against going for another Johnson disciple when Monken left and instead went for Fritz who ran something fairly close, but more importantly had a head coaching resume to back up.

Now why they went with Summer is anyone's guess. That hire made no sense but the admin completely bungled everything about that, but that's a different topic.

Anyways, long story short. 2014 GSU wasn't nearly as big a transition which shouldn't be a surprise since it was a main goal of the hire. Otherwise, the thing to take away from GSU is that Johnson assistants could have some success but were never ever able to come close to doing what Johnson was able to there. That is something people need to keep in mind when they say Monken should have been hired.
Monken was more successful than Sewak at Southern. Monken went to 3 semi-final games in 4 years. No one on here is currently calling for Monken to be hired.

slugboy

Staff member

It’s a tangent, but the first time we hosted FSU in an ACC game, one of the GT fraternities hosted an FSU sorority and their guests with date/student tickets. There was a huge garnet square in that student section, in a game most students couldn’t get into.

It’s bad, but it’s not new behavior.

That frat got all sorts of grief about it, the ticket usage got brought up in student government, and I’m not sure whether they got ticket penalties after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk