Georgia Postgame

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
upload_2019-11-30_15-37-42.png

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
First half was great, we competed really well. The defense played solid for the most part, some dumb mental mistakes, but they were given no help in the field possession battle. The King missed FG really turned the momentum of the game, and that opening KO of the second half was truly awful, they immediately started in our territory. Our special teams as a whole were truly awful. All of this to say...PATENAUDE HAS TO GO. Yes, I know he has very little to work with in terms of offensive talent. But you don’t even give your team a chance when you’re down a couple scores, 3rd and 8, and you call a handoff. We didn’t take a single shot downfield the entire game, I’m not sure we attempted a pass over ten yards. When you’re outmatched in talent, you HAVE to take chances if you want to win! He gave us no chance. 3 turnovers, AND we recovered an onside kick, and all he could do was 7 points. We have one last drive, the guy is not even trying to score!!!! He was running the clock out, for what reason? Does he not know how embarrassing 52-7 is? We are last or close to last in nearly every offensive stat people! Can you see this guy succeeding when we get better talent? I can’t, it looks like him calling plays may be our weakness for years to come. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong, but this guy seems so conservative and so clueless, at least from my view.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Defense played hard. Tough when your offense can’t give you a breather.

Offense is as bad as it gets. Definitely the best if not 2nd to Clemson defense in the country so didn’t expect much, but that was tough to watch. Not sold on Coach Pat, but tough to judge with what he had to work with this year. He’d be on the hot seat for me if I was Collins next year though.

Both kickers should lose their scholly next year. At least tell them there is one and they have the offseason to earn it and only one will have one end of Spring.

The only thing that surprised me about this game was how close we kept it in the first half.

Let’s finish this recruiting class strong and start getting ready for next year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
First half was great, we competed really well. The defense played solid for the most part, some dumb mental mistakes, but they were given no help in the field possession battle. The King missed FG really turned the momentum of the game, and that opening KO of the second half was truly awful, they immediately started in our territory. Our special teams as a whole were truly awful. All of this to say...PATENAUDE HAS TO GO. Yes, I know he has very little to work with in terms of offensive talent. But you don’t even give your team a chance when you’re down a couple scores, 3rd and 8, and you call a handoff. We didn’t take a single shot downfield the entire game, I’m not sure we attempted a pass over ten yards. When you’re outmatched in talent, you HAVE to take chances if you want to win! He gave us no chance. 3 turnovers, AND we recovered an onside kick, and all he could do was 7 points. We have one last drive, the guy is not even trying to score!!!! He was running the clock out, for what reason? Does he not know how embarrassing 52-7 is? We are last or close to last in nearly every offensive stat people! Can you see this guy succeeding when we get better talent? I can’t, it looks like him calling plays may be our weakness for years to come. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong, but this guy seems so conservative and so clueless, at least from my view.
The full season stats at Temple suggests the O can improve dramatically with his scheme and playcalling.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/geoff-collins-as-a-hc-full-season-data.19452/

The data says he went from a first season that was nearly this bad, where the coaching staff walked into a situation trying to replace a multi-year starter, to a middle of the pack offense in season 2.

No reason to make a change now, imo, given the other more glaring issues we have.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Since it happened numerous times throughout the season, I want CGC to explain why he thinks it's a good idea to field punts inside our 10 yard line.

"Because the superior athletes at Temple do"?
Season’s over. I just hope they study up and do better next year. Some things are just better left alone than trying to explain them.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Since it happened numerous times throughout the season, I want CGC to explain why he thinks it's a good idea to field punts inside our 10 yard line.

"Because the superior athletes at Temple do"?

No coach in America tells a returner to field a punt inside the 8yd line

But i guess he says AB went rogue and did his own thing, that means he has no control

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Season’s over. I just hope they study up and do better next year. Some things are just better left alone than trying to explain them.

If he thinks this is the correct thing to do on Punt Returns, someone needs to politely tell him otherwise. I don't do social media - can someone please tweet him this little ST factoid?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Agreed. I'm trying to give a free pass for this entire season to CGC and the staff considering the transition, but this is an area that baffles me. If there was one area we SHOULD have been able to improve at, it's returning KOs and punts. Not sure how much blame CGC needs to eat on this issue, but it's clearly greater than "none" while probably less than "most."

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

But i guess he says AB went rogue and did his own thing, that means he has no control
It was an 18 year old freshman trying to make a play in a frustrating situation. We disagree on Collins, but in the grand scheme of things, Brown dropping the punt is not a reflection on CGC.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If he thinks this is the correct thing to do on Punt Returns, someone needs to politely tell him otherwise. I don't do social media - can someone please tweet him this little ST factoid?
I recommended earlier in the season the staff bring in a consultant or take some classes on football fundamentals. Hopefully they will in the off season.

Many on here brushed off little things as “inexperienced” errors on the players part. It’s just coaching 101 and we’re lacking.