Georgia coverage griping

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess by now I should expect no different, but still...

I read the coverage of the game by the Georgia reporters in the AJC and a few others. They have a bevy of reporters, not just a beat reporter like we get. The gist of all the reports was that Georgia under performed. I didn't see anything to the effect that maybe Tech is pretty good. You can start with Bradly, who is so snowed by the recruiting rankings that to him, every time Tech wins it is a flukish thing or bad coaching, since the talent differential is so great.

Some things which might have been said are Gee, Tech has some serious big play guys in Thomas, Searcy, Marshall, and Lynch. Or, Gosh, the TO makes it easy to lose track of the A backs out in pass patterns. Or, Their defense couldn't stop the run between the 20s, but they sure got tough as Georgia got close the goal line.

All I saw was what Georgia did wrong and should have done better. I would love to see us have a monster year and come into the game favored and win by a couple of touchdowns. Maybe that shut them up about our talent level.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

I read the coverage of the game by the Georgia reporters in the AJC and a few others. They have a bevy of reporters, not just a beat reporter like we get. The gist of all the reports was that Georgia under performed. I didn't see anything to the effect that maybe Tech is pretty good. You can start with Bradly, who is so snowed by the recruiting rankings that to him, every time Tech wins it is a flukish thing or bad coaching, since the talent differential is so great.

Some things which might have been said are Gee, Tech has some serious big play guys in Thomas, Searcy, Marshall, and Lynch. Or, Gosh, the TO makes it easy to lose track of the A backs out in pass patterns. Or, Their defense couldn't stop the run between the 20s, but they sure got tough as Georgia got close the goal line.

All I saw was what Georgia did wrong and should have done better. I would love to see us have a monster year and come into the game favored and win by a couple of touchdowns. Maybe that shut them up about our talent level.

It's never going to change the AJC bias. The cater to the masses and the masses are dwag fans for the most part. I understand and agree but the urinal/constipation in what it is.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

A beatdown would be nice, but uga n, Tech n+1 is more than acceptable.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's not just UGA/ the AJC. The $EC is riddled with unrealistic expectations that are supported by the media. Alabama can/should/does win lots of championships. However, UGA, LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Tennessee all expect to be winning the ones Bama doesn't. And when TAMU, Ole Miss, and Miss St. have good teams they are delusional right there with them.

Nothing will ever shut them up.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
This is exactly the wrong reaction. Don't get annoyed - embrace it! There is nothing sweeter than beating the likes of Georgia (#6 in star ranked talent) and hearing nothing but confusion and bewilderment. Of course they can't understand how they just lost to Tech! How would they? They know nothing of football, they think stadium size matters, they still think Tech is the nerds they wedgied back in middle school.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
My favorite media response of all time...

grizzard-on-tech.jpg

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I've actually read several of those AJC articles, and believe it or not, they weren't all about how bad UGA played, many of them included complementary comments about GA Tech's Players and Coaches.

"as long as coach Paul Johnson remains their head coach, the Yellow Jackets are always going to be a team that plays Georgia tough."

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/.WDw1D7tNiI4

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
The last month, there have been 3 people writing about GT. Ken, Doug and JuliaKate. I have no problems with the AJC.

Bob

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I really dont have a problem with the coverage from the AJC. They do extra for the dwags because of the teeming horde that makes up their fanbase.

My problem is on the radio....specifically the open derision that we are treated with by both 92.9 and to an even greater extent 680.

I am a fan of sport talk radio. But it is galling to hear my team generally ignored 51 weeks of the year and then any mention comes with an insult or backhanded compliment.

I fear we have very little negotiating power, but I would hope TStan (did I do that right?) will put pressure on IMG and the radio stations directly to try to at least eliminate the baseless negativity. My Jackets are not simply a punchline.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Based on this year, it seems that uga fans hold us in the same program tier as Vanderbilt. As in, any loss to us must be a fluke and never a hard fought win. You see it echoed in the media a lot. Get another win next year and we might be able to change some narratives, if just slightly.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The thing that I think gets overlooked by the media is that even during their win streak most of the games were very competitive and actually could have gone either way.
I always attributed the AJC bias to the fact that it was full of UGAG alumni from their Journalism School.
The thing that really pissed me off when I lived in Atlanta was the local sports talk radio, you would think we'd get some positive coverage simply because we are the local team ??
Out here in Boise the local radio sports talk is so biased it's total comedy. Last week they were talking about conferences and it was said that the ACC was only slightly better than the Mountain West Conference ...

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I agree. The bug is the assumption that we shouldn't be winning this game. I agree that UGA is always going to have more talent and has been a better team, but we are clearly close enough to them that we can and should compete. Not only that, but we have competed. The uGAg argument that we couldn't beat them during their worst years so therefore have no business winning is ridiculous. We have competed or won during their good years also.