Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Collins has replaced Lewis as the one whose name should never be mentioned again.
And yet you mentioned BOTH names!!!
B6B2B03E-5585-4122-9935-C58596031E60.jpeg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
...and THERE is my biggest fear. I hope the TFG / B*** L**** debate rages for years. God forbid we have a new candidate!
Well the tickers up slightly, but the trend is distinctly down.
On a brighter note during hiring process Angel, Batt, donor type, and Mayor of Atl had dinner w Stodimeyer.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I love the fact that my candidate is still very much in the hunt here. As I said, I am not holding grudges with people who ae voting for the other guy. But, if you ain't picking one of these two, it's like dragging Arnie or Hogan or Hagen's name into the Jack vs. Tiger conversation. Just don't go there...that is some sort of personal bias that is skewing your perception of the facts. Our top two candidates are indeed in a class of their own.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's not act like that 1994 team was not loaded with NFL talent. The 1990 recruiting class was one of our best ever and pretty close to the 2007 class. I believe Donnie Davis was a high 4 star recruit and the top dual threat QB coming out of HS.

Donnie Davis would be considered a 5 star recruit in today's recruiting world. He was the #2 overall QB recruit (behind Eric Zeier) and #1 dual threat QB that recruiting year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
ask this again in a few years and i’m not really sure how anyone can CLEARLY say that he’s the worst. still too recent and people are still too mad. there is a debate for sure between him and lewis

he will probably climb the ranks and get a shot again. do a “coach rehab” stint as an analyst and climb back up. we have seen plenty of coaches do bad at multiple stops and end up with another job in a few years. at the college and nfl level if you have the right agent you are never finished as a head coach
Care to make a prediction about how long it will be before he is a coordinator or head coach?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We won 7 in 2018, not 6, and Geoff followed it up IMMEDIATELY with 3 wins. We won 8 with Ross the year before Lewis took over, and he won 5, 5, then 1. Let's stop acting like Lewis only won 1 game the year after the natty, it was 4 years later with almost none of the same players.
Bill Lewis only winning 1 game after a National Championship is a much more dramatic statement, you have to admit. We indeed are in a post fact world.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think I said that anywhere. I don't see where Donnie Davis played in the NFL though either? Do you have a source or a list for recruiting classes/ rankings from that time period? Who was rating players back then?
You certainly implied that the team was a lot less talented than the one that won the National Championship. Maybe that was not your intention, but that was the implication of your post.

Also, where did I say Donnie Davis made it to the NFL. I said he was high 4 star and possibly a 5 star recruit, which he was. There were other talented players on that roster and in the 1990 recruiting class.

Lemming had recruit rankings back then and they were published in Athlon.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You certainly implied that the team was a lot less talented than the one that won the National Championship. Maybe that was not your intention, but that was the implication of your post.

Also, where did I say Donnie Davis made it to the NFL. I said he was high 4 star and possibly a 5 star recruit, which he was. There were other talented players on that roster and in the 1990 recruiting class.

Lemming had recruit rankings back then and they were published in Athlon.
You are reading things I did not say. I said they were not the same players, that's it.

You mentioned the 1994 team being loaded with NFL talent, that the 1990 class was one of our best ever, and then specifically mentioned Donnie Davis, I (incorrectly) assumed as a highlight of the class. Now that I've looked it it up, he was not in the 1990 class, he was in the 1992 class, was at Tech 92-95. I also looked up lists of the the Tech players who have played in the NFL and found the 1990 roster on a GT athletics website, and the only true freshman I see from that roster that played in the NFL was David Hendrix, who was undrafted. That doesn't strike me as being pretty close to as great a class as 2007, but you are entitled to your opinion.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
If I remember correctly, Donnie Davis was the number one dual threat QB in the nation at that time. It was a huge get for Tech.

I think he was ruined by the toxic environment and poor coaching. Luginbill ? Was BL’s pick and it divided the locker room.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It’s comical this thread endures.

Hooray CS fans, everyone concedes and he’s #2 worst all time? Why does that make GT better? Our fired AD saves face? Who cares?

It must make CS fans feel better about all their antics trying to shame other GT fans into turning a blind eye to the nonsense is all I can figure.

It was a horrible period in GT football. Bury it. Digging up the dead gets us nowhere.
When you open this thread, which is your choice, what is it you expect to see? Is the title of the thread misleading? Is there any reasonable expectation when one opens this thread that it won’t be people talking about why Collins is or isn’t the worst coach in GT history?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Donnie Davis would be considered a 5 star recruit in today's recruiting world. He was the #2 overall QB recruit (behind Eric Zeier) and #1 dual threat QB that recruiting year.
Donnie was lighting up big passing yardage in HS in Class 2A league in Burlington NC. He was constantly listed in Sports illustrated for his huge passing statistics. Back then the magazine would have featured athletes who had done notable achievements. Ross came to some of his games to scout him. I think he played some in the arena football league after GT. He was a casualty of BL coaching. Pretty sure he had an injury that required surgery. Very good kid and a good family.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You are reading things I did not say. I said they were not the same players, that's it.

You mentioned the 1994 team being loaded with NFL talent, that the 1990 class was one of our best ever, and then specifically mentioned Donnie Davis, I (incorrectly) assumed as a highlight of the class. Now that I've looked it it up, he was not in the 1990 class, he was in the 1992 class, was at Tech 92-95. I also looked up lists of the the Tech players who have played in the NFL and found the 1990 roster on a GT athletics website, and the only true freshman I see from that roster that played in the NFL was David Hendrix, who was undrafted. That doesn't strike me as being pretty close to as great a class as 2007, but you are entitled to your opinion.
He was recruited in 1990 and signed February, 1991. So, I was off by a year. That class was one of the best.

I said the 1994 team had plenty of NFL talent, which it did.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He was recruited in 1990 and signed February, 1991. So, I was off by a year. That class was one of the best.

I said the 1994 team had plenty of NFL talent, which it did.
Donnie had his helmet twisted in practice with ear hole in front of his face. Looked at GOL and said he thought his nose was broken. GOL looked at his face and told him he thought it looked better now.
Story related to me by his uncle. His uncle thought it was funny.

JacketFan137

Banned
Care to make a prediction about how long it will be before he is a coordinator or head coach?
maybe 3-4 years. take a year off. analyst/recruiting coordinator type position for a year, job as a dc in a group of 5 or a vanderbilt maybe?

he’ll be back somewhere eventually. based on his contract with us we know he has the agent to find him a deal

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
maybe 3-4 years. take a year off. analyst/recruiting coordinator type position for a year, job as a dc in a group of 5 or a vanderbilt maybe?

he’ll be back somewhere eventually. based on his contract with us we know he has the agent to find him a deal
In my opinion his GT tenure sort of poisons his resume for any future head coach position. I can see him getting a coordinator position since he has respectable stints in previous stops. One thing is certain, the college coaching community is relatively small and interconnected; it will take a lot to overcome any unfavorable impressions he may have made on his former staff at previous stops.
On the other hand, perhaps he stumbles across a school in a bind to hire quickly, with few qualified candidates and not much of a budget... ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Sounds about right. It would have to be just the right situation though with enough stability in the organization to withstand the initial pushback from the press and fan base. His reputation in social media circles reaches far beyond Tech territory.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

If his contract is like others, he would be required to pursue a position to help offset the buyout. Not that he gets hired, mind you ... only that he consider all potential offers and make a serious effort to pursue.

Paul Finebaum explained how the "coach parking" works. An agent (in this case, Jimmy Sexton) takes one of his failed clients and parks them at a school with a good name/reputation. After 3-4 years, the sting wears off and he can re-sign the coach to a new contract at a more attractive price. While it's not stated that the coach who agrees to manage the parking makes a cut, Finebaum suggested that by saying, "They aren't doing this because they are nice guys." A good example is Butch Jones being parked at Alabama.

I don't see Geoff returning as a coach for two reasons. First, he said so. He said that if the GT job fails, he would prefer to work in the front office for an NFL team. Second, his time at Tech is toxic. He had (arguably) modest success at Temple and the Tech record and that's it. There was a time I thought he might end up at a Sun Belt school, but even now ... no.

I think he pops up from time to time, but the longer this goes without SOMETHING ... the more likely he stays on the fringe. At 51, with no great reputation as a head coach ... I don't think Geoff will coach again.

Status
Not open for further replies.