Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m retired, so I have plenty of time to use poorly.

One thing I will say what I like about this site is that it allows GT fans/nad-licker-haters to post their disagreements, but at the same time all come together to root for the Jackets. Leatherneck (and others) and I (and others) may disagree about whether we should comment on TFG, but there have been many more subjects discussed where I have wholeheartedly agreed with him. If he were to stop by my tailgate, I’d hand him a beer and ask “ what’s the good word?”.
As it should be.

And using your time poorly is one of the perks of retirement that we worked hard to earn 😊

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have said many times that the revenue difference between GT and other schools has much less to do with conference payouts than it has to do with financial support from fans.

People want to believe that joining the Big10, or one wealthy person donating $10 million will fix the financial issues. We need a lot of fans who donate, but tickets, and buy merchandise. Instead, we have fans who like to complain that the least expensive football ticket is $30.

When you start from a base of $35 Million (2021 ACC payout) vs $55 (2021 B1G payout) Million it's hard to argue that it's inconsequential. If GT had that extra $20 million last year, we don't have to beg the donors for money, and Chadwell or Fritz is probably our coach right now instead of Key.

B1G payout jumps to $75 million in a few years, then $100+ million after 5 years. That's a LOT more breathing room for GT to operate in, and wider margin of error for GT to work with. Let's be honest, GT's biggest problem has been BAD hiring decisions and BAD business decisions. Those decisions have been an albatross around GTAA's neck for years. It's like trying to lose weight, you're not going to outrun your diet...and in GT's case, we're having a tough time outrunning our bad decisions.

Now to your point, fan support it definitely also a factor. That's why a school like UGA and Bama can weather some lean years. But fan support is fickle...and quite frankly, it's up to the school to give the fans a reason to support it. Why do we have to take the burden of a school's bad decisions? Sports are a voluntary form of entertainment. If a school continues to make bad decisions, it's the onus of the school to fix it, and not blame it on the fans.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
When you start from a base of $35 Million (2021 ACC payout) vs $55 (2021 B1G payout) Million it's hard to argue that it's inconsequential. If GT had that extra $20 million last year, we don't have to beg the donors, and Chadwell or Fritz is probably our coach right now instead of Key.

B1G payout jumps to $75 million in a few years, then $100+ million after 5 years. That's a LOT more breathing room for GT to operate in, and wider margin of error for GT to work with. Let's be honest, GT's biggest problem has been hiring decisions and business decisions. Those decisions have been an albatross around GTAA's neck for years. It's like trying to lose weight, you're not going to outrun your diet...and in GT's case, we're having a tough time outrunning our bad decisions.

Now to your point, fan support it definitely also a factor. That's why a school like UGA and Bama can weather some lean years. But fan support is fickle...and quite frankly, it's up to the school to give the fans a reason to support it. Why do we have to take the burden of a school's bad decisions? Sports are a voluntary form of entertainment. If a school continues to make bad decisions, it's the onus of the school to fix it, and not blame it on the fans.
I'm not saying it is no consequential. I am saying that it pales in comparison to the other factors. The mutts get about $20 million more from TV payouts than GT, but their overall revenue is something like $80 million more. They are beating GT by $60 million in the tickets/donations/merchandise categories. Too many fans like to sit back and wait for TV money to help GT athletics, when in reality it is far more an issue of fan support than it is TV money. GT and the conference should work on getting better conference revenue, but the fans should get off of their butts to buy tickets, donate, and buy merchandise.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying it is no consequential. I am saying that it pales in comparison to the other factors. The mutts get about $20 million more from TV payouts than GT, but their overall revenue is something like $80 million more. They are beating GT by $60 million in the tickets/donations/merchandise categories. Too many fans like to sit back and wait for TV money to help GT athletics, when in reality it is far more an issue of fan support than it is TV money. GT and the conference should work on getting better conference revenue, but the fans should get off of their butts to buy tickets, donate, and buy merchandise.

I get that. My point is, saying that the being in the B1G vs the ACC won't fix our issues argues in the face of math. Our issues are really our own making, and if we continue to make bad decisions, we'll continue to suffer regardless of what conference we're in. But I'd rather have that extra $20 million every year to help fix our financial issues, and that conference payout gap will only get wider every year. GT has NEVER had the overall revenue of UGA/Bama/OSU...yet we've been a good football and basketball program for years. Why is that? Why could GT compete with UGA or Clemson in football and Duke and UNC in basketball, and now we're being left in the dust? It has less to do with money, and more to do with the fact we've made bad hires (see: Collins, Brian Gregory, etc) and given out bad contracts that have weighed down our athletic programs.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I get that. My point is, saying that the being in the B1G vs the ACC won't fix our issues argues in the face of math. Our issues are really our own making, and if we continue to make bad decisions, we'll continue to suffer regardless of what conference we're in. But I'd rather have that extra $20 million every year to help fix our financial issues, and that conference payout gap will only get wider every year. GT has NEVER had the overall revenue of UGA/Bama/OSU...yet we've been a good football and basketball program for years. Why is that? Why could GT compete with UGA or Clemson in football and Duke and UNC in basketball, and now we're being left in the dust? It has less to do with money, and more to do with the fact we've made bad hires (see: Collins, Brian Gregory, etc) and given out bad contracts that have weighed down our athletic programs.
Silver lining - If having less money means we ended up with Brent instead of Willie or Jamey, that part of it might have turned out for the best, this time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Silver lining - If having less money means we ended up with Brent instead of Willie or Jamey, that part of it might have turned out for the best, this time.

I think Brent will be good hire. I actually fought for him on this board and outlined why I thought he would be good if given the full time job.

Now will his upside be as good as Chadwell or Fritz? I guess we'll never know for sure, but we'll find out Brent's upside in the next few years. I'm personally excited to see what Brent can do with a full Spring and Fall camp, and with his own staff.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I get that. My point is, saying that the being in the B1G vs the ACC won't fix our issues argues in the face of math.
It would help with financial issues, but the math actually indicates that it is a much smaller portion of the issues. The bigger financial issue is fan support. Also, there was a large spending spree that put the athletic department hundreds of millions in debt.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It would help with financial issues, but the math actually indicates that it is a much smaller portion of the issues. The bigger financial issue is fan support. Also, there was a large spending spree that put the athletic department hundreds of millions in debt.

We can agree to disagree on conference revenue. To your latter statement, that goes with the "bad business decision" part of my post. Lots of self inflicted cuts by the GTAA decision makers bleeding us out.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Geoff Collins was the BEST coach for GT specifically for the 2019-2022 seasons simply because he made it way easier for me to turn off GT football games and spend time with my son (born in 2019). My son wanted to play outside during the GT vs ND game in 2021, and before he could finish asking the TV was off and I was getting my shoes haha

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Geoff Collins was the BEST coach for GT specifically for the 2019-2022 seasons simply because he made it way easier for me to turn off GT football games and spend time with my son (born in 2019). My son wanted to play outside during the GT vs ND game in 2021, and before he could finish asking the TV was off and I was getting my shoes haha
Even made yard work more fun!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When you start from a base of $35 Million (2021 ACC payout) vs $55 (2021 B1G payout) Million it's hard to argue that it's inconsequential. If GT had that extra $20 million last year, we don't have to beg the donors for money, and Chadwell or Fritz is probably our coach right now instead of Key.

B1G payout jumps to $75 million in a few years, then $100+ million after 5 years. That's a LOT more breathing room for GT to operate in, and wider margin of error for GT to work with. Let's be honest, GT's biggest problem has been BAD hiring decisions and BAD business decisions. Those decisions have been an albatross around GTAA's neck for years. It's like trying to lose weight, you're not going to outrun your diet...and in GT's case, we're having a tough time outrunning our bad decisions.

I have only been all in since Clemson in 14. You guys seem exhausted. I think the TFPrez was a big problem for gtaa. He and his people have been . replaced by Angel, Batt, and Key and DS.
Tech alumni seem to remember the bad way better than alumni at other schools.

JacketFan137

Banned
Another lol for the thread. "people like you" = anyone who makes a joke at jacketfan137's expense. I'm sure you've never gotten a warning here, what a saint.

Flawless logic there buckaroo. Say, remember that time I made a joke (yes it was a joke, hard for you to distinguish I know) that you must be smoking something because your statement was so ridiculously false, and you got so in your feels that you reported my post and created a private message with me, you, and all the mods to whine about how offensive it was to you? I guess by your logic above, it must have been true after all!

*Note, this is also a joke.*
im glad that you think about me so much 🙂 it’s nice to have people like you who care so much

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Here I was having fun throwing shade on our former coach (because there really isn’t any football news right now) and the whole mood got turned sour by yellow jackets turning on each other.

I guess TFG is still wreaking havoc on the fan base. Too bad. I thought we could all come together by finally exorcising all the past frustration.

On a totally random and unrelated topic. I grew up a sidewalk fan even though my parents were uga fans. My extended family included a professor at Tech and alumni. I’ve never worn Tech gear or sported bumper stickers or flags. This may sound corny but I have such profound respect for anyone who went to Tech that it feels dishonest to me to wear the gear. All my siblings and I attended Emory so we have profound respect for anyone who attended an academically rigorous school.

Not sure why I felt the need to share that but just wanted you to know I have deep respect for all you engineers.

slugboy

Staff member
Wow. Here I was having fun throwing shade on our former coach (because there really isn’t any football news right now) and the whole mood got turned sour by yellow jackets turning on each other.

I guess TFG is still wreaking havoc on the fan base. Too bad. I thought we could all come together by finally exorcising all the past frustration.

On a totally random and unrelated topic. I grew up a sidewalk fan even though my parents were uga fans. My extended family included a professor at Tech and alumni. I’ve never worn Tech gear or sported bumper stickers or flags. This may sound corny but I have such profound respect for anyone who went to Tech that it feels dishonest to me to wear the gear. All my siblings and I attended Emory so we have profound respect for anyone who attended an academically rigorous school.

Not sure why I felt the need to share that but just wanted you to know I have deep respect for all you engineers.
Wear the gear.

I ended up with a ton of sweatshirts because I needed something to wear to class; it wasn’t a master plan.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
and here you go telling me what i can and can’t post.

it’s actually crazy how poorly y’all are taking the rent free in your head joke. i’m not sure why y’all took that so freaking personal.

rather than prove anyone wrong you guys derailed the thread into personal attacks and insults and that is kind of telling

“If YOU think an argument is silly, or beating a dead horse is pointless...guess what? just don't participate in the discussion. It's easier to just scroll past it. I think that's the point everyone is trying to make. If you don't like a comment or think it's beating a dead horse, JUST SCROLL PAST IT. No need attacking others for what they want to discuss.” maybe take your own advice next time my man

Oh boy...you totally missed the point of what I said. It's actually the opposite of what you're saying. My point is...why do you care so much about other posters laughing about internet postings of Collins...or Paul Johnson...or Santa Claus? In what way is it affecting your life that you think you need to reply with a snarky comment? I think the problem is you think you can be snarky and not expect the snarkiness to bounce back at you. This is a messageboard, not a tea and biscuit party at the Queen's castle.

The reality is, if you had just let the some of Collins jokes go, no one would have responded to you and the "jokes" about Collins would have died pages ago. People are just here enjoying the company of other GT fans...and not everyone will have the same humor. It's OK. If it's not OK, I highly suggest you start blocking the fonts that disagree with your taste in humor or posting subjects. That's not just advice for you, that's advice for everyone. Personally, I enjoy the diverse thought and humor on this board. Do I agree with everyone, and do I sometimes take issue with what's posted? Yes, but that's the beauty of this site. ALL posters should be able to express their thoughts and opinions...

...except @kg01 ice cream preferences. That's just trash. (You know you're my boy KG!)

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Wear it! Get some car swag too. You chose to be a Tech fan... that’s big time game!

BTW, I have profound respect for the engineers too.... I got out as a hell of a BSBC.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wear the gear.
I second this. Don't be ashamed. Those of us who root for the Jackets bc we got out from there have a deep respect for those of you who have chosen to don the hair shirt willingly, although I have to confess that we talk about y'all in secret when we are amongst ourselves and think y'all are some seriously crazy sumbitches. We are torn evenly between contempt and awe. ;)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
...except @kg01 ice cream preferences. That's just trash. (You know you're my boy KG!)

...... I'm fine

Living Doll Reaction GIF by Brahms: The Boy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.