Geoff Collins in with Chuck Oliver

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
He does stick to the talking points.

The one that puzzles me is the offensive line averaging 6 ' 1". How many offensive linemen were under 6 feet to make that the average? When I look at the program from last year, the only player listed at 6 feet is Chet Lagod. All others all 6' 2" or taller. I get he is trying to make a point, but to me the numbers don't add up.

CGC does a great job selling, especially Atlanta. And selling Tech as a top five academic school.

bos

Helluva Engineer
He does stick to the talking points.

The one that puzzles me is the offensive line averaging 6 ' 1". How many offensive linemen were under 6 feet to make that the average? When I look at the program from last year, the only player listed at 6 feet is Chet Lagod. All others all 6' 2" or taller. I get he is trying to make a point, but to me the numbers don't add up.

CGC does a great job selling, especially Atlanta. And selling Tech as a top five academic school.

Doesn't appear right, but then again listed heights are usually listed different than what they actually are. I believe 6'1" could have been the average height of D-Line in 2018.

Jmonty71

Banned
One of the things I like about Collins is his consistent positivity. He’s always selling and has his talking points in lock step.
That is the process for almost every CEO, President, coach and so on..... Those that have great teams have the leeway to talk about issues. Those that are trying to build don't have that luxury or ability. Whether he truly believes or just in for a paycheck, doesn't matter.. That positive attitude is what GT needs, right now. We have to build before we have the ability to talk about any issues. The coach knows that there are 1000s of media people and millions of fans that can discuss the issues and will, quite often. I am still on the fence with Collins, with his abilities as a coach (in game). However; the man has shown he can recruit and he sticks to his plan. I admire that.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
That is the process for almost every CEO, President, coach and so on..... Those that have great teams have the leeway to talk about issues. Those that are trying to build don't have that luxury or ability. Whether he truly believes or just in for a paycheck, doesn't matter.. That positive attitude is what GT needs, right now. We have to build before we have the ability to talk about any issues. The coach knows that there are 1000s of media people and millions of fans that can discuss the issues and will, quite often. I am still on the fence with Collins, with his abilities as a coach (in game). However; the man has shown he can recruit and he sticks to his plan. I admire that.

The important thing here being that the CEO actually be in touch with the organization and provide a platform that represents the meaning behind the branding which connects with the members of the organization inspiring them to expand the culture without explicit direction. CGC seems to fit that bill.

Personally as a fan and alumnus who tracks the team closely, I'm a little bored hearing him speak. It's not that there isn't substance. It's just that the substance is not new to me. But, the media loves him, and they really at this point need someone to bring the talking points to them with awareness of what makes media interesting, and it's clear the message is hitting for those that matter. And despite the salesmanship I find it genuine, so there's no cringing.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Only if he eventually shows that he can coach as well as he can market...

The man is the ONLY person to be nominated for the Broyles Award 3 times. People don't get nominated for being able to market well. Collins is a proven great coach. Just because his expertise in on the other side of the ball from the last guy doesn't mean it counts for less.

We get it, you don't like him. At 3-9, he won 1 more game than Paul Johnson did in his first season at Navy. All while having the worst offensive line in college football, a banged up/undersized DL, and 3 unexperienced QBs transitioning from Paul's offense. What did you expect? And was Paul a bad coach because of his first season? He hadn't proved he could win at "big boy" football at this point. Sure winning a bunch of games in a lower classification is nice, but that doesn't count. Ask those who are judging CDP.

Should we have beat The Citadel? Absolutely? If you're basing Collins' ability to coach on one game, you should probably stop. The man has brought more positivity to GT than we've had in a long time. We just had one of the best recruiting classes all time. While not significant, we made progress throughout the year last year. Our OL will look like a P5 OL this year, we have 3 ultra talented RBs to share carries, a young but ultra talented QB room, and a solid to maybe above average WR group. Our offense should be much better this year. We will be more experience and more talented on the D side of the ball as well. Though I do think we will need to play some of the guys we just brought in.

My question to you is, what would make you think Collins is a good coach this year? Is it solely based on wins? Do you care about player development/progression? What would do it for you?

Scubapro

Banned
The man is the ONLY person to be nominated for the Broyles Award 3 times. People don't get nominated for being able to market well. Collins is a proven great coach. Just because his expertise in on the other side of the ball from the last guy doesn't mean it counts for less.

We get it, you don't like him. At 3-9, he won 1 more game than Paul Johnson did in his first season at Navy. All while having the worst offensive line in college football, a banged up/undersized DL, and 3 unexperienced QBs transitioning from Paul's offense. What did you expect? And was Paul a bad coach because of his first season? He hadn't proved he could win at "big boy" football at this point. Sure winning a bunch of games in a lower classification is nice, but that doesn't count. Ask those who are judging CDP.

Should we have beat The Citadel? Absolutely? If you're basing Collins' ability to coach on one game, you should probably stop. The man has brought more positivity to GT than we've had in a long time. We just had one of the best recruiting classes all time. While not significant, we made progress throughout the year last year. Our OL will look like a P5 OL this year, we have 3 ultra talented RBs to share carries, a young but ultra talented QB room, and a solid to maybe above average WR group. Our offense should be much better this year. We will be more experience and more talented on the D side of the ball as well. Though I do think we will need to play some of the guys we just brought in.

My question to you is, what would make you think Collins is a good coach this year? Is it solely based on wins? Do you care about player development/progression? What would do it for you?
IMO Collins is an outstanding coach but he has to be more than that as the Head Coach. My issue is his choice of assistants. Patenaude will not be able help get the team to the level Collins is selling. Yeah we were depleted last year. Tons of things were working against us But look at his, Patenaude, game film from Coastal. He had plenty of time and resources to run what he wanted and how he wanted. From what I see that will not cut it at the P5 level. I just don’t see him out coaching anyone
I could be wrong Its just what I am seeing

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Collins has the pedigree to be a great HC. He knows how to recruit and I think there was evidence to suggest that the defense is on the right trajectory.

I think it comes down to how much the school is going to support him. We can’t afford another decade of administrative apathy - it’s clear we’re in catchup mode and that’s putting it mildly. Having a good narrative and leadership is important, but we can’t underinvest in infrastructure and assistant coaching salaries the same way we have.

The good news - President Cabrera seems excited about GT sports and wants to engage with TStan and the individual teams. The challenge is to translate that excitement into AA fundraising.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The good news - President Cabrera seems excited about GT sports and wants to engage with TStan and the individual teams. The challenge is to translate that excitement into AA fundraising.

That has been extremely refreshing. He's not only engaging our AD and teams, he out front and center in many of our men's and women's games. He's also active on Twitter engaging the fanbase. GTP Cabrera understands the importance of sports in college, but more importantly, he understands what his presence and engagement means for the big picture.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Only if he eventually shows that he can coach as well as he can market...

He can cover many in-game inadequacies by simply hiring the right OC and DC and letting them handle their sides of the ball. If Coach Collins builds the brand, recruits at a high level and then manages his staff, who manage the games, he should do okay.