Geoff Collins in with Chuck Oliver

Jmonty71

Banned
@Jmonty71 is right on the money. This guy is a CEO building a brand, and its exactly what GT needs, and honestly its exactly where college football is at.

The future is incredibly bright for GT under Coach Collins.
I agree.... Now he has to put his money where his mouth is. That means sharpening up in game calls and getting more W's than L's. I am still on the fence with his in game coaching abilities. I saw a few clock management issues, last year. Maybe he gave up? Maybe he knew the team was young? Maybe he was trying to take pressure off players? I don't know. But, we'll see how this season goes. Go Jackets!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Everything looks worse when you can’t hold a block or get off a block. Things look good when you can block and pressure the opposing offense. Collins will look good or bad depending on those two factors (like every coach).

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
The man is the ONLY person to be nominated for the Broyles Award 3 times. People don't get nominated for being able to market well. Collins is a proven great coach. Just because his expertise in on the other side of the ball from the last guy doesn't mean it counts for less.

We get it, you don't like him. At 3-9, he won 1 more game than Paul Johnson did in his first season at Navy. All while having the worst offensive line in college football, a banged up/undersized DL, and 3 unexperienced QBs transitioning from Paul's offense. What did you expect? And was Paul a bad coach because of his first season? He hadn't proved he could win at "big boy" football at this point. Sure winning a bunch of games in a lower classification is nice, but that doesn't count. Ask those who are judging CDP.

Should we have beat The Citadel? Absolutely? If you're basing Collins' ability to coach on one game, you should probably stop. The man has brought more positivity to GT than we've had in a long time. We just had one of the best recruiting classes all time. While not significant, we made progress throughout the year last year. Our OL will look like a P5 OL this year, we have 3 ultra talented RBs to share carries, a young but ultra talented QB room, and a solid to maybe above average WR group. Our offense should be much better this year. We will be more experience and more talented on the D side of the ball as well. Though I do think we will need to play some of the guys we just brought in.

My question to you is, what would make you think Collins is a good coach this year? Is it solely based on wins? Do you care about player development/progression? What would do it for you?
There's a World of difference in being a DC and a HC, just as there is in being a Marketing VP and a CEO. What some, myself included, would like to see improve this year is both the in-game and week before game planning. A lot of supporters, but certainly not all, also want to maintain our last several years of graduation rates. The wins should be apparent after or near mid-October 2021 vs the ACC Coastal. Competitive games against ugag/Clemson/ND should be obvious by 2022 and a few outright wins vs the same 3 by 2023-2024. If we aren't playing at a level that places us in the top 2 vs the Coastal(not a miraculous accomplishment) come mid-October 2021, then we may not get to see the 2022-2024 era. CFB is brutally bottom line driven in terms of winning. We are very unique, but not so much so that Ws are unimportant. THWG

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There's a World of difference in being a DC and a HC, just as there is in being a Marketing VP and a CEO. What some, myself included, would like to see improve this year is both the in-game and week before game planning. A lot of supporters, but certainly not all, also want to maintain our last several years of graduation rates. The wins should be apparent after or near mid-October 2021 vs the ACC Coastal. Competitive games against ugag/Clemson/ND should be obvious by 2022 and a few outright wins vs the same 3 by 2023-2024. If we aren't playing at a level that places us in the top 2 vs the Coastal(not a miraculous accomplishment) come mid-October 2021, then we may not get to see the 2022-2024 era. CFB is brutally bottom line driven in terms of winning. We are very unique, but not so much so that Ws are unimportant. THWG

I couldn't agree more except for the bolded statement. While I agree it is not a miraculous accomplishment to become a top 2 coastal team, I don't like basing the future on the fact that we will improve and no one else will. Looking at the Coastal, this is what I see:

GT: potential homerun hire for HC. Improved recruiting. We will see if that results in winning at a level better than historical averages.
Miami: Typically a top 15 recruiting team. They will eventually fins a coach to utilize the talent.
UNC: Also recruiting better than us right now and have a proven HC. Time will tell but this could be a tough game on a yearly basis.
VT: Historically have recruited in the same range we are recruiting right now. If Fuentes figures it out, they could be big winners again, if not, they have the administration willing to find a good fit.
Duke: Really good coach with a proven track record developing QBs. Duke may be close to topped out, but I would be careful in writing them off.
UVA: Another really good coach who is getting his system and players into place. Has shown in the past that they can recruit well at times. We will know in the next year or two how good they are.
Pitt: Probably the weakest overall Coastal team, but not exactly someone you can overlook. If any team should be close to an automatic win for us, this is it.

The thing with the Coastal is that right now things seem to be in turmoil, but current conditions are rarely static. It wasn't all that long ago that the ACC was viewed as the Coastal being the strongest with the Atlantic being FSU and everyone else. The scales began turning in the early part of the last decade and tipped the other way around 2015/2016. Now we have Coastal Chaos, but mostly that just points to the parity that currently exists.