General News about Key and his Staff

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Lane when he sees a '404' number on the ol' caller ID ....

Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by Rick and Morty

This was I kinda pictured it when Lane won't take the call......
Big guy wearing somebody out.

Cheetah Running GIF

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn’t see anyone mention this KQ article for the AJC on our new strength coach AJ Artis, but I am really impressed by this hire. AJ is not only focused on physical strength, but mental toughness and discipline. This is one of the most undervalued staff positions and it looks like AJ is set on making a difference. The link is behind the AJC paywall but I still have access via iphone AJC app?

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
Great article. Many people wanted an experience head coach we could persuade to change jobs. While there is a risk with Key’s lack of HC experience, the article pointed out a potential bonus. If Key is successful, I don’t think he is auditioning for a better HC job - he truly is where he wants to be.
It’s truly tech’s best chance at getting on the map and STAYING on the map. A couple 8-9 win seasons could be all it takes to start getting phone calls from other schools with more money. But I think we have a man interested in building a legacy instead of bigger pool for his beach house.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s truly tech’s best chance at getting on the map and STAYING on the map. A couple 8-9 win seasons could be all it takes to start getting phone calls from other schools with more money. But I think we have a man interested in building a legacy instead of bigger pool for his beach house.
Yes, it helps our chances. We don't know what's in Brent's mind, but having an alum for a head coach increases the odds he'll stick around, although it's no guarantee.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We need to obtain a mindset of paying CBK if he is successful and not take it for granted that we can go cheap and keep him because he's a Tech guy. I'm not saying we have to pay him above all other coaches but we need to pay him well in relation to what the industry is doing at the time and also give him what he needs for his staff etc. If he wins we will see more $ coming in, just the way it works. We need to spend FB income on FB first for all it's needs and then allocate from the remaining FB revenue to the other sports. In other words you take care of your income stream first and foremost above all else, otherwise the whole system could come down. No new sports when it could kill us when the inevitable downturn comes in FB and the new sports put us in the hole because the revenue is down.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We need to obtain a mindset of paying CBK if he is successful and not take it for granted that we can go cheap and keep him because he's a Tech guy. I'm not saying we have to pay him above all other coaches but we need to pay him well in relation to what the industry is doing at the time and also give him what he needs for his staff etc. If he wins we will see more $ coming in, just the way it works. We need to spend FB income on FB first for all it's needs and then allocate from the remaining FB revenue to the other sports. In other words you take care of your income stream first and foremost above all else, otherwise the whole system could come down. No new sports when it could kill us when the inevitable downturn comes in FB and the new sports put us in the hole because the revenue is down.

Key has a LOT of support from important donors. If he proves he's taking GT in the right direction, he'll have no problems getting new contract terms reflective of the market.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sure seeing lots of compliments from qb recriuts about Wienke and the OC. The tall qb from Texas 6A was very detailed l in his praise of wienke.

People below head coach getting spotlight- I like it.

Also we are recruiting in Arizona to get a fast rb.

slugboy

Staff member
Let’s start with breaking into the top 25 of recruiting first.

From what I’ve seen, the difference between being ranked 20th vs being ranked 35th isn’t that much and doesn’t translate reliably into results. A team can also game the rankings by recruiting too many players. Recruiting well for need is more important.
I don’t worry about the class ranking. What I care more about is a key difference maker at LB and DL and other key positions. I want a couple of all-conference players on each side of the ball. We haven’t gotten enough of the “top 5” or “first 5” players on either side of the ball.
We got some good players in the portal last year, and we seem to be doing well at recruiting this year.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I like it when we have coaches that find the players through their good evaluation abilities rather than going with rankings. Does not mean I'm against rankings. Bobby Bowden said their recruiting dropped off when they started going more with rankings and got away from digging them out.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Let’s start with breaking into the top 25 of recruiting first.
Rivals has us at 24, 1 below Bama. Of course, this is very early in the recruiting calendar. Were not as highly ranked on 247, but they haven't assigned a ranking to several of our recruits yet.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Rivals has us at 24, 1 below Bama. Of course, this is very early in the recruiting calendar. Were not as highly ranked on 247, but they haven't assigned a ranking to several of our recruits yet.
I think our players will have good senior season. Not picked for getting a high ranking . Picked to be starters in a few years

Last edited: