General News about Key and his Staff

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Something interesting I just picked up - was looking at Travares Tillman's Wikipedia page, and noticed:

In 2016-17, he was a graduate assistant at uGA, working with defensive backs. Then he transitioned into a "defensive quality control assistant" role with the defense for the 2018 season, before being recruited by Mel Tucker to come to Colorado and then Michigan State.

If I remember correctly, some people on this board seemed to turn their noses up at the fact that Buster Faulkner was "only a quality control" person at uGA. Interesting to see another of our coaches also having had a similar title on their way up the coaching ladder.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something interesting I just picked up - was looking at Travares Tillman's Wikipedia page, and noticed:

In 2016-17, he was a graduate assistant at uGA, working with defensive backs. Then he transitioned into a "defensive quality control assistant" role with the defense for the 2018 season, before being recruited by Mel Tucker to come to Colorado and then Michigan State.

If I remember correctly, some people on this board seemed to turn their noses up at the fact that Buster Faulkner was "only a quality control" person at uGA. Interesting to see another of our coaches also having had a similar title on their way up the coaching ladder.

I think that's an apples versus oranges comparison. Faulkner was a full OC at several stops before becoming an QC guy for UGA. Tillman's QC role was on his way up to becoming a full time position coach. Personally, my concerns with Faulkner isn't that he was a QC guy with UGA, but more his track record at other stops didn't necessarily "wow" you. I'm happy to be open minded about Faulkner because he did have some success, and I think he definitely learned some things under one of the top offensive minds in football (Monken)...plus I think Key put together a staff with a productive background. If Key is putting together a coaches room where everyone has input and the best ideas make it into the playbook, I do think we can have a fairly good to pretty good offense. As I said elsewhere, I'm really intrigued by what Josh Crawford can bring to the room considering his last stop and background.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I wonder if it was intentionally misleading or just a lack of critical thinking that you left out that Tillman was hired by Colorado to be a DB coach (which is the role he is still in) while we hired Faulkner to be an OC and that perhaps the difference is in the position they were hired to fill from being in the quality control position.

slugboy

Staff member
Nice comments by Key (but previous comments). Good coaches move up. We need the next good coach, and Key has done OK there.

We had been overloaded on coaches who were “LB coaches”. It’ll be interesting to see who we get, but special teams is going to be important

Georgia Tech assistant Jason Semore to be hired at Marshall

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...hired-at-marshall/2GJBVJA24BEKJA4BN56IIAGECY/

(Via AJC News)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’ll be interesting to see who we get, but special teams is going to be important

"McKenzie picked up special teams coordinator duties during his final season at Arkansas State. In McKenzie’s lone season as special teams coordinator, the Red Wolves set an NCAA record by holding opponents to minus-15 punt return yards for the season. ASU also finished sixth nationally in kick return defense. In recognition of his efforts both offensively and on special teams, McKenzie was nominated for the 2018 Broyles Award, which honors the nation’s top assistant coach."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

"McKenzie picked up special teams coordinator duties during his final season at Arkansas State. In McKenzie’s lone season as special teams coordinator, the Red Wolves set an NCAA record by holding opponents to minus-15 punt return yards for the season. ASU also finished sixth nationally in kick return defense. In recognition of his efforts both offensively and on special teams, McKenzie was nominated for the 2018 Broyles Award, which honors the nation’s top assistant coach."

Two things:

1. I agree completely with your assertion that McKenzie may be an outstanding STC for the Jackets based on his history, but....

2. I still have a little PTSD anytime someone trots out the " nominated for the xxxx Broyles Award, which honors the nation’s top assistant coach..." comment to tell me how good a GT coach is going to be... :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Two things:

1. I agree completely with your assertion that McKenzie may be an outstanding STC for the Jackets based on his history, but....

2. I still have a little PTSD anytime someone trots out the " nominated for the xxxx Broyles Award, which honors the nation’s top assistant coach..." comment to tell me how good a GT coach is going to be... :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I’m starting to think I may have been nominated and just forgot about it

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Two things:

2. I still have a little PTSD anytime someone trots out the " nominated for the xxxx Broyles Award, which honors the nation’s top assistant coach..." comment to tell me how good a GT coach is going to be... :LOL::LOL:
I didn't exactly "trot it out", I simply quoted it as part of the article. I don't think the Broyles Award nomination means a lot either, but his record in his one year as ST coach is nothing short of spectacular, and if he takes over STs this may turn out well. Semore seemed a good linebackers coach, and I thought it was a bit odd that he lost LBs but hung onto STs after a mediocre performance there. FWIW, based on his record it seems to this amateur sidewalk fan McKenzie should get a shot at ST coach, but at this stage based on his record I have faith that Brent knows what he's doing. We'll see what happens.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice comments by Key (but previous comments). Good coaches move up. We need the next good coach, and Key has done OK there.

We had been overloaded on coaches who were “LB coaches”. It’ll be interesting to see who we get, but special teams is going to be important

Georgia Tech assistant Jason Semore to be hired at Marshall

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...hired-at-marshall/2GJBVJA24BEKJA4BN56IIAGECY/

(Via AJC News)
Well let's see....we have a good Special Teams guy already on staff, we have another DB coach on staff. Time to hire the Git Back Coach! But who???🤔

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I didn't exactly "trot it out", I simply quoted it as part of the article. I don't think the Broyles Award nomination means a lot either, but his record in his one year as ST coach is nothing short of spectacular, and if he takes over STs this may turn out well. Semore seemed a good linebackers coach, and I thought it was a bit odd that he lost LBs but hung onto STs after a mediocre performance there. FWIW, based on his record it seems to this amateur sidewalk fan McKenzie should get a shot at ST coach, but at this stage based on his record I have faith that Brent knows what he's doing. We'll see what happens.

Agree wholeheartedly with you.