General News about Key and his Staff

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
But would they really pay that much for an unproven first time OC??
I never said they would. I don’t believe they will. But the rumors were that BF was going to be their OC in waiting whenever Monken moved on. It’s looking like Monken might be gone this year, and they’ll have no problem hiring BF out from under us if they want him.

Which is once again, where the “if they want him, they’ll probably get him” comes from. The only part that matters is if they want him or not.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I never said they would. I don’t believe they will. But the rumors were that BF was going to be their OC in waiting whenever Monken moved on. It’s looking like Monken might be gone this year, and they’ll have no problem hiring BF out from under us if they want him.

Which is once again, where the “if they want him, they’ll probably get him” comes from. The only part that matters is if they want him or not.
BF is on a 2 year contract so if they take him we would get 1.5 mil? I'd take it considering the financial situation we are in.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I doubt UGA goes after Faulkner if Monken leaves. Had GT not hired Faulkner, he wouldn't have been on any P5 radar...and outside of GT, Faulkner wasn't in the conversation for any P5 jobs. There are others on UGA's staff more intimately involved in game planning that Kirby would promote to OC before hiring Faulkner, and that's not counting outside candidates. UGA has the resources to pretty much go after the top percentile of OCs. Given what UGA can spend for an OC, and the talent they attract, OCs will probably knocking on Kirby's door and not vice versa.

What makes guys like Monken/the Riley brothers/Dillingham/Kiffin/etc special is not just their X's and O's, lots of coaches understand the X's and O's of offenses and can put together a diverse playbook, but the "feel" for attacking defenses and knowing which plays to call with certain personnel, and where/how to attack defenses. That's a unique gift that the top OCs have versus the average OCs. I think GT is Faulkner's chance to prove he's learned from his time taking a step back and working under Monken. UGA doesn't want a "prove it to me" coach to replace Monken, UGA is looking to hire someone that has the track record to not only produce on the field with the talent UGA is pulling in, but also "wow" future recruits. They are currently in the mix for the #1 QB in the 2024 class (Dylan Raiola)...that's the level of the next OC hire that UGA would want to hire. Someone that gets the attention of top elite recruits from the get go.

Now if Faulkner was a year or two into being GT's OC, and he had success here, then I would definitely be nervous. Interestingly, I think there's a coach already on our staff that might just turn out to be a better OC in the future than Faulkner. WRs coach Josh Crawford. I'm very intrigued with his 2 years at Western Kentucky, especially his year as CO-OC there. Tyson Helton's OCs have turned out to be fantastic OCs at other places, and Crawford has a record of immense success everywhere he's been. It will be interesting to see how our offense shakes out with the coaches on the staff with varying backgrounds.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I wish he would smile a little more in these interviews. He seems to be an intense and straight up guy. I am glad to have him as our coach. Now let's get some wins next year and get the recruiting ball rolling.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I wish he would smile a little more in these interviews. He seems to be an intense and straight up guy. I am glad to have him as our coach. Now let's get some wins next year and get the recruiting ball rolling.
I’ll trade smiles for wins after the last guy we had

He is stone faced as hell though lol

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
after the game was over with a win....
The man said win. I can get onboard with that kind of talk.

Happy If You Say So GIF