General News about Key and his Staff

slugboy

Staff member
Staff

I think i see Batt's hand in the organization
Recruiting - player relations people are vital for us since we are only school w high academics and limited course offerings. Todd Spencer had zero help and now we have 4. They are diverse in skill sets yet can all work in any area. They can help w fund raising! I like that we aren't crippled if one or 2 guys leave. Watson and Joe will be great w kids. This group will let the coaches coach, help maximize the coaches impact during recruiting and help us retain players.

Love the OC and WR hire. We can't afford to buy from top teams, but we did shop from top teams ( 2 time national champ - uga and highest ranked pass attack in history - wk). If they have visible impact this year we could take a major up tick in 24 portal WR

The not flashy position coaches at ol, lb, and strength seems to be in likness of Brent Key - just do your damn job. By end of year gt will finally be solid at the line of scrimmage.

Of course getting Marco back is a clear message of valuing NFL path and loyalty to gt football .

The best thing so far is the non bragging from Key. He knows what happens on the field will measure his success.

For sure great staff organizationally.

If the position coaches are good teachers, the coordinators are good at game plan, gt will play good hard nose winning football.

I hope Key opens up the passing, mixes in the 2 te power run game and keeps the aggressive defense.
We’ve had a lot of posts asking why we haven’t gotten the next big coordinator, along with interest in Garrett Riley from TCU as a HC or OC.
We kept an offensive coach we like and Key thinks highly of in Weinke. We added up and comers in Faulkner and Crawford. People are being really quiet about McKenzie. On offense, we’re making several bets that one or more of these coaches is the next big thing—we’re making multiple bets.
On defense, we kept Thacker, who is getting buzz. We added a “known quantity” in Sherrer.
It looks like everyone recruits, too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We’ve had a lot of posts asking why we haven’t gotten the next big coordinator, along with interest in Garrett Riley from TCU as a HC or OC.
We kept an offensive coach we like and Key thinks highly of in Weinke. We added up and comers in Faulkner and Crawford. People are being really quiet about McKenzie. On offense, we’re making several bets that one or more of these coaches is the next big thing—we’re making multiple bets.
On defense, we kept Thacker, who is getting buzz. We added a “known quantity” in Sherrer.
It looks like everyone recruits, too.
We need $$ & proven depth to attract proven oc. This staff will get us to proven depth.

Imo, Key will get this team to bond and believe in each other. The player hype train is gone.

If the oc and wr coach are good, gt can be playing well by in oct.

slugboy

Staff member
We need $$ & proven depth to attract proven oc. This staff will get us to proven depth.

Imo, Key will get this team to bond and believe in each other. The player hype train is gone.

If the oc and wr coach are good, gt can be playing well by in oct.
If you look at a team like Western Kentucky, a lot of people didn’t know that would be a good coaching staff before they obviously were. I think we’re trying to find undiscovered talent.
People already liked Faulkner. We’re giving him his break. I hope he’s ready. But we’re giving people their shot at the big time, and that’s how you find the next big coordinators.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If you look at a team like Western Kentucky, a lot of people didn’t know that would be a good coaching staff before they obviously were. I think we’re trying to find undiscovered talent.
People already liked Faulkner. We’re giving him his break. I hope he’s ready. But we’re giving people their shot at the big time, and that’s how you find the next big coordinators.
Hope that it took Key time to find an oc that can dial up either passing and power running so defenses have to prepare for both.

Pass = Cant run clock or score in red zone.
Run = cant catch up late in game

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was 70 then 78 @UGA. I walked on and was happy to get a number ! Will was 77 in HS. It is just a number. LOL. I honestly can't understand why anyone cares about what number is on the jersey.
When we met you i was about 70 and now i am old at about 77 .

Still pissed that Sewak burned Will's freshman redshirt so late in season. Miami?
Best ol while ge was here below.

Attachments

• 9296.jpeg
    9296.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 37

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck

Still pissed that Sewak burned Will's freshman redshirt so late in season. Miami?
i also met you and Will are several pre fan meetings at Grant filed. it was a delight to meet you. my HS number was also 70.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck

Will actually burned his shirt in the opening game and started 6 games his freshman year. I do not believe at that time you could play in 4 games and still redshirt. I haven't had any good shrimp since the last time you brought them up from Fla ! Great memories hanging out in the RV lot :). Thanks

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Key and Faulkner visited Silver Bluff HS in Aiken County, SC today as well. Not sure who they were going to see. SBHS is a small school here in Class AA.