General News about Key and his Staff

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
That's just your interpretation of the data to form your opinion. No way you understand all the nuances of it to the same level that Key does
I never said I did.

Is that the new standard for having an opinion? We have to have the same level of understanding of all the nuances as our head coach.

Regardless, whatever the basis for my opinion, it is still 1) greater than zero probability that I am correct. 2) far more concrete than some nebulous standard that I do not know as much as our HC (for which you can even specifically state what those things are) and 3) certainly as valid, if not more so, than some internet rumor.

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The hire is pretty much in line with the way the rest of the staff has been put together. At pretty much any step in the process of putting this staff together where we had the opportunity to make a statement that we were serious about competing we've instead made the statement we're poor and unwilling to commit.
This isn’t a shot just an observation I find interesting.

I don’t know if it is my disposition, general background or just plain optimism for the future (because of my belief CBK is a good hire and faith in PAC and ADJB wanting to support our program), but I’m good with these hires.

I’m sure the truth about BFaulk is somewhere between OC in waiting and just another staff coach. That spectrum is still pretty good generally given the product of his work. I think he’ll be a net benefit here and I’m about that life (I know you are as well and will be cheering loudly for his and our success at every opportunity).

We’ll soon see, but my view has been these hires have been about disciplined deployment of our funding to get coaches and staff who align to the vision CBK is driving for. I do think there may be (and likely deserves to be) a systemic rejection of “big ego” coaches who put themselves at the front of the line - but that’s a personality thing from our head ball coach more than anything else IMHO.

I do wonder if we plan to bring on more off field staff and if that’s shaping these hires too. We’ll all see soon enough, once toe meets leather.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Don't get me wrong, I'm not crowing that we hired the OC-in-waiting from UGA. I have no idea whether he's a good hire or not. But it feels like people are looking for reasons to dislike the hire more than look at what Faulkner might have going for him that Key thought made him the right candidate to be our OC. I'm not asking anyone to celebrate a hire they don't like or convince anyone this is the greatest OC hire in history. But it's possible that a good coach is doing excellent things with top talent. And we've seen examples aplenty of bad coaches who have tons of talent wasting that talent.
As I said in my first post on this, I hope he does well. I also said I have no idea if he will do well or not. I just do not think this was as great hire as I was hoping to see. Maybe we were turned down by everyone else, but I am not impressed with the hire.

I would say it feels like that fonts are looking for any reason to blast anyone who does not toe the line and expresses anything but a completely positive view about the HCBK and his staff. The circling the wagons is typical.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hey, can you give your ugag buds an early Christmas present for me? Tell 'em it's from their unfriendly neighborhood #get-bak! coach ...

bad girls club middle finger GIF by Oxygen

#It'sAlwaysHateWeekB*tches
Don't you think one hand would work as well.......... oh piss on it they are uga fans your way is fine.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Seth Littrell was one name that I had in mind, though I will admit that I do not know if he had any interest in Tech.
I think the reality all of us (me included) have a tough time accepting is the difficulty it is to recruit coaches into these positions. We are definitely in the bottom 20% of Power 5 revenue and have a very large debt burden currently. That impacts how much money you have to provide a head coach, coaching staff, and other staff such as recruiting. Our stadium is 20% to 40% empty each Saturday. Even Clemson at MCB drew less than 50K. We are within 250 miles of UGA, Clemson, SC, Auburn, Alabama and Tennessee in terms of recruiting (and others such as FSU and UNC definitely concentrate on Atlanta). Successful Group of 5 coaches would rate a lot of Power 5 jobs above GT. Given that background, I feel you have to take a much more pragmatic approach. That means hiring people who you think have upside to put into your coaching positions. Many on this board have advocated that we need to take 3* and coach them up. I really think our coaches can be no different. Take people who have a solid background, worked under good coaches and see if they can handle a larger role.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the reality all of us (me included) have a tough time accepting is the difficulty it is to recruit coaches into these positions. We are definitely in the bottom 20% of Power 5 revenue and have a very large debt burden currently. That impacts how much money you have to provide a head coach, coaching staff, and other staff such as recruiting. Our stadium is 20% to 40% empty each Saturday. Even Clemson at MCB drew less than 50K. We are within 250 miles of UGA, Clemson, SC, Auburn, Alabama and Tennessee in terms of recruiting (and others such as FSU and UNC definitely concentrate on Atlanta). Successful Group of 5 coaches would rate a lot of Power 5 jobs above GT. Given that background, I feel you have to take a much more pragmatic approach. That means hiring people who you think have upside to put into your coaching positions. Many on this board have advocated that we need to take 3* and coach them up. I really think our coaches can be no different. Take people who have a solid background, worked under good coaches and see if they can handle a larger role.
That may be true, but could we also not target head coaches who were just fired but were successful OCs in a past life like Littrell (or Harsin).

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Seth Littrell was one name that I had in mind, though I will admit that I do not know if he had any interest in Tech.
Root4GT asked that, since you’re not enamored with the hiring of Buster, to name a coach that likely would come to GT. Your reply is to name someone that you admit you don’t know if they have any interest in Tech 🫤

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Root4GT asked that, since you’re not enamored with the hiring of Buster, to name a coach that likely would come to GT. Your reply is to name someone that you admit you don’t know if they have any interest in Tech 🫤
He asked if I had someone in mind and I named a person that I had in mind.

How the ef would I know if any possible coach would likely come to GT or not?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
LNJ gave an honest answer. Good enough for me. No way to know if recently fired guys are looking for a new job. I don't see a great difference between the guy we hired and the one LNJ wanted but we all have opinions.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If all the statements are true that Faulkner is “instrumental to Stetson Bennet’s development” and is the “oc in waiting”, than I honestly am not surprised he is looking for a new job considering uga won’t even give him a proper coaching role despite being on staff for three years and being such a key to their success.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Regardless, whatever the basis for my opinion, it is still 1) greater than zero probability that I am correct.
You've certainly set a high bar for yourself. 😋

Look, I get that we're mostly offering opinions from the cheap seats. But it DOES appear that a few voices are regularly sniping at just about everything related to GT football right now, and I don't see the purpose for or the benefit of that.

Who did you think we would hire? Saban? Smart? Harbaugh? C'mon. What would a "splash hire" for HC or OC look like in realistic terms?

Yeah, we're in a deep hole, but I think we can work our way out of it by taking one fundamentally sound step at a time. Last year, we were 3-9. This year, 5-7. I think we can be 6-6 or 7-5 next year. After that...you get the picture.

And at some point, NO ONE is going to insert the obligatory phrase "toughest P5 coaching job in the country" into literally every story about Tech.

That turn around isn't going to happen in one year regardless of who is holding the clipboards. So far, I haven't seen any reason to be anything BUT optimistic about the direction we are headed as a program. Of course, new data will be available beginning next September, but for now, I'm good.

You may have the last word.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Texas Tech was a winning team under the coach (Dykes .550) who immediately preceded Leach. Prior to Tuberville, who replaced Leach, their last losing season was in 1992. Washington State was a dud under the two coaches prior to Leach, but was only 10 years removed from 3 straight 10 win seasons when Leach took over. Prior to Leach, Mississippi State had not finished the regular season with a losing record since prior to Dan Mullin in 2008. Lifelong cellar dwellers seems like a poor representation of these teams.

LOLOL

Mississippi State- Has an all time winning percentage of .494 has only won the sec west twice 1998 and 1941 they have one conference championship and that was in 1941.

Texas Tech- Has an all time winning percentage of .552 they have 11 conference titles 9 of which came between 1937 and 1955. Their most recent conference title was in 1994 and they finished the year 6-6. They have one division title and that came in 2008

Washington State- Has an all time winning percentage of .498 with 4 conference titles 1917, 1930, 1997 and 2002 their only division championship came in 2018 (once again under leach)

So idk what you consider a bottom dweller but I would consider teams that have below a .500 all time winning percentage have been to less than 35 bowls combined and going 80 years in between conference titles a bottom dweller.

Edit: Texas Tech ranks 58th all time winning percentage, Mississippi State 92nd and Washington State 95th. With a minimum of 100 games played.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You've certainly set a high bar for yourself. 😋

Look, I get that we're mostly offering opinions from the cheap seats. But it DOES appear that a few voices are regularly sniping at just about everything related to GT football right now, and I don't see the purpose for or the benefit of that.

Who did you think we would hire? Saban? Smart? Harbaugh? C'mon. What would a "splash hire" for HC or OC look like in realistic terms?

Yeah, we're in a deep hole, but I think we can work our way out of it by taking one fundamentally sound step at a time. Last year, we were 3-9. This year, 5-7. I think we can be 6-6 or 7-5 next year. After that...you get the picture.

And at some point, NO ONE is going to insert the obligatory phrase "toughest P5 coaching job in the country" into literally every story about Tech.

That turn around isn't going to happen in one year regardless of who is holding the clipboards. So far, I haven't seen any reason to be anything BUT optimistic about the direction we are headed as a program. Of course, new data will be available beginning next September, but for now, I'm good.

You may have the last word.
Well, considering another font said I had zero basis for my opinion, I did not really set the bar that low, but I will take it.

What are all the GT Football related things about which I have sniped? Everything? Really? OK

I gave a name I thought would be good, Seth Littrell. (I had previously suggested Willy Korn before Littrell was fired). At no point did I imply that we would hire Saban, Smart or Harbaugh as our OC.

I know these last two are rhetorical devices, but it is completely absurd to suggest that I have been sniping about everything or I had anything remotely close to hiring Saban or Smart in mind.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

TT Prior To Leach

I think this is enough sample size to show that neither of these teams were perennial bottom dwellers prior to Leach arriving.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, you are missing the Joe Moorhead years.