General News about Key and his Staff

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean do we even have the money to pay for a decent, experienced OC? We had to pay out Collins AND Long... Where's the dough coming from?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I mean do we even have the money to pay for a decent, experienced OC? We had to pay out Collins AND Long... Where's the dough coming from?
With his dismissal by Key, there was no option where Long was going to be retained: any other coach would have let him go, and key did too.
The money comes from paying Key 2 million below market. If we can’t scrounge up 800k, we deserve to be irrelevant.

That’s how badly our AD messed up. We had to pay more than most schools at a two year contract to get an OC to agree to come here. Coaches jumping ship after last offseason. He deserved to be fired because everyone but him knew GC was done for, just a matter of when.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Errin Joe is back on the flats in a elevated recruiting role. Wonder who is the director of recruiting Kenyatta Or Joe? The article stated that Joe was already here at GT working. Wonder why he hasn’t updated his profile on Twitter yet? Unless I looked at a outdated twitter handle.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I expected a lot of radio silence with these last few hires, given the hush hush of AD and HC. Although should we be worried or excited about the delay since HC announcement? Tell me how to feel.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
In case you want to know what the market is for top end coordinators:

The rate of inflation for coaching and staff salaries has to be unsustainable at many schools. Even factoring in the increases in media revenue some conferences are experiencing, I'm not sure how any but the richest 20% or so of college teams can afford to keep doubling salaries every 4-5 years, which is what it seems to be doing. Top coordinator's compensation is in the range of what head coaches made just a few years ago. This situation is exacerbating the trend of haves vs. have-nots in CFB.
Rant over.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The rate of inflation for coaching and staff salaries has to be unsustainable at many schools. Even factoring in the increases in media revenue some conferences are experiencing, I'm not sure how any but the richest 20% or so of college teams can afford to keep doubling salaries every 4-5 years, which is what it seems to be doing. Top coordinator's compensation is in the range of what head coaches made just a few years ago. This situation is exacerbating the trend of haves vs. have-nots in CFB.
Rant over.
It will only stop when tv stops paying these conferences outrageous amounts of money. It is already overexposed as far as I am concerned. Virtually all our games are on tv and it is killing attendance but tv money still rolls in.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It will only stop when tv stops paying these conferences outrageous amounts of money. It is already overexposed as far as I am concerned. Virtually all our games are on tv and it is killing attendance but tv money still rolls in.
No doubt TV contracts are responsible for the initial acceleration in Power 5 salaries over the last 20 years or so. But, even considering TV revenue as a factor, I still don't see how the rate of inflation for coach/staff compensation can be sustained. When TFG was hired, he was in the low range of ACC compensation, but at least he was in the range. Just 4 years later, we are seeing new hires at average schools making 40-70% more. Conference TV revenue is not increasing at a rate that can sustain the recent salary ramp-up.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It's a tired mantra of mine....but the games are much more enjoyable live. Provided there is no TV timeouts. Which never happens anymore. So, yeah...you are right at the end of the day.
I’ve never really understood the “it’s better to watch on TV than it is live” opinion. To me it’s clearly not. Does anybody really care to watch the same replay 9 times over? Or to have a closeup of some kid on the sideline after he made a big mistake? The convenience factor of not having to actually travel to the stadium is one thing, but the viewing experience is so much better live than it is on TV. Plus, having a bad commentary crew can make watching a game on TV extremely unpleasant. You don’t have to worry about that live, although I guess you could be seated next to some obnoxious fans which is basically the same thing.

To me, being at the game makes me feel like I’m part of the game. Like I’m impacting it in some way, no matter how small it actually may be. Plus you get to experience the atmosphere and electricity surrounding the stadium. You don’t get that on TV, and until there’s some kind of technology like VR that implements that feeling of atmosphere and electricity into the at-home viewing experience, there will never be a replacement for actually going to a game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I way, no matter how small it actually may be. Plus you get to experience the atmosphere and electricity surrounding the stadium.
My friend, I get down there once a year. My GT buddies and I picked the Ole Miss game this year to attend. Most of us are 6 to 10 hours from Atlanta. e were excited thinking maybe the novelty of playing a unique opponent from a major conference would bring back fond memories of the 'good old days". That crowd, and it was decent, had all the buzz of a high school volleyball match. At least imo. And that was well before the beatdown started happening.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’ve never really understood the “it’s better to watch on TV than it is live” opinion. To me it’s clearly not. Does anybody really care to watch the same replay 9 times over? Or to have a closeup of some kid on the sideline after he made a big mistake? The convenience factor of not having to actually travel to the stadium is one thing, but the viewing experience is so much better live than it is on TV. Plus, having a bad commentary crew can make watching a game on TV extremely unpleasant. You don’t have to worry about that live, although I guess you could be seated next to some obnoxious fans which is basically the same thing.

To me, being at the game makes me feel like I’m part of the game. Like I’m impacting it in some way, no matter how small it actually may be. Plus you get to experience the atmosphere and electricity surrounding the stadium. You don’t get that on TV, and until there’s some kind of technology like VR that implements that feeling of atmosphere and electricity into the at-home viewing experience, there will never be a replacement for actually going to a game.

If you can teleport me into my seat, guarantee I don't have to sit near some jack leg that can't hold their liquor, make sure some other ninny in my row doesn't have to keep getting up and down outta their seat, ensure I can see everything and teleport me back to my house at the end .... then I'd agree in person is better.

On a serious note, I do like the feel of being there. I just don't like getting there and some other stuff I can't control.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
My friend, I get down there once a year. My GT buddies and I picked the Ole Miss game this year to attend. Most of us are 6 to 10 hours from Atlanta. e were excited thinking maybe the novelty of playing a unique opponent from a major conference would bring back fond memories of the 'good old days". That crowd, and it was decent, had all the buzz of a high school volleyball match. At least imo. And that was well before the beatdown started happening.
I never said anything about this year’s GT football team having a good atmosphere. It was more of just a general statement. Even still I remember as a student the 2018 Duke game might’ve been the least energetic crowd for a football game I’ve ever seen. Plus we played like garbage that day and lost to a pathetic Duke team. But I would’ve much rather been at BDS that day than watching it on TV.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If you can teleport me into my seat, guarantee I don't have to sit near some jack leg that can't hold their liquor, make sure some other ninny in my row doesn't have to keep getting up and down outta their seat, ensure I can see everything and teleport me back to my house at the end .... then I'd agree in person is better.

On a serious note, I do like the feel of being there. I just don't like getting there and some other stuff I can't control.
You’re talking about traveling to the game, which is a separate issue than the viewing experience, specifically. Getting to the stadium and back home again can be a hassle, especially for somebody who doesn’t like in the immediate metro area. But that’s true for any team who plays anywhere, not just for Tech in Atlanta. I’m talking purely from kickoff to the final whistle, or tip-off to the final buzzer, or first pitch to last pitch. The actual game viewing experience is better in person than it is on TV 99% of the time, and that’s not exclusive to just GT sports. That’s for everything, IMO. There’s really not even an argument the other way when we’re talking purely game experience. Arguments about travel time, traffic, concession lines, etc have their merits, but to me the in-person experience outweighs those the overwhelming majority of the time.

Now for something relevant to the topic at hand: I hope Key and GT are able to bring in a good enough staff and build a good enough team that way more folks will be willing to deal with the hassle on traveling to the stadium in order to provide an electric atmosphere.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem is that the game is actually better viewed on TV than in person.

Yeah, Budweiser and Jump Around are fun, but so are closeups, perfect camera angles, instant replays, color commentary, sideline reporting, comfortable seating, climate control, no parking issues, open bar...you get the idea.
Disagree. I do not experience near the excitement of a game watching it on TV as I do from the stands. When there is a big crowd and an exciting play, there is nothing like being there to me. What has ruined it for me in person or on TV are interminable TV timeouts. They have to do something to decease the length of those.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Thread drift: Key's staff begat coaches' salaries begat TV revenue begat TV vs. live. Regardless, good discussion points.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Thread drift: Key's staff begat coaches' salaries begat TV revenue begat TV vs. live. Regardless, good discussion points.
Apparently, there is a distinction between thread drift and thread hijacking. The response of the mod is important when distinguishing between the two.

I found an interesting article on this subject here.