General News about Key and his Staff

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
1-1.5M would put him in the top 15-20 OCs in the country. I dont think he would expect that as an OC. If he is expecting that type of money he will likely need to get another HC job somewhere. I am guessing 800K would be realistic for him as OC, but Im not even sure if we can afford that at this point...
I'm betting Batt could dig that up. All speculation of course, but I'm thinking the fact that there were negotiations with Fritz (even if they fell short) would indicate there was more money available that they're probably paying Brent, and that could be used to pay a top-notch OC. Of course, none of us know what any of these numbers actually are.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Oof. Litrell went 0-5 in his six bowl games at North Texas....I'm not sure how that happens but that's what the Athletic article said. They qualified for two of the six bowl games with five wins. He was 44-44 overall. His best years were the two years Choice was there (2017, 2018). Hmmm

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Littrell checks all the boxes for me. Seems like a no brainer if we can make it happen financially:
1. P5 OC experience
2. HC experience
3. Unique enough scheme (but he supposedly adjusts for personnel well)
4. Successful offenses at multiple places
5. Can also be our TE coach

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oof. Litrell went 0-5 in his six bowl games at North Texas....I'm not sure how that happens but that's what the Athletic article said. They qualified for two of the six bowl games with five wins. He was 44-44 overall. His best years were the two years Choice was there (2017, 2018). Hmmm

East fix. Hire Littrell for OC, bring back Choice for RB Coach/Assistant OC/Run game coordinator. GT 2024 National Champions!!!

bishopbee

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm betting Batt could dig that up. All speculation of course, but I'm thinking the fact that there were negotiations with Fritz (even if they fell short) would indicate there was more money available that they're probably paying Brent, and that could be used to pay a top-notch OC. Of course, none of us know what any of these numbers actually are.
Maybe true, but don't forget the $850K being paid to Long to not be our OC next year

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Here is a clip from The Athletic article that I thought apropos. (It's not behind a paywall.)

But the graduation of record-setting quarterback Mason Fine led to another downturn, and UNT’s defense over the past few years has been among the worst in the country. After a 1-6 start last year, the Mean Green won five in a row to get to a bowl game. At one point across 2021 and 2022, UNT had won 10 of 11 C-USA games. But it also lost 48-10 to future conference rival SMU and lost 48-27 in the C-USA championship game.
So maybe he just needs a better DC. I know that feeling well.

*Mods: I assume a short clip and linking to an article is okay under fair-use, but if not please delete it.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

How do we know there were negotiations with Fritz? One of many rumors and there is motivation for his agent to spread that rumor?

But I'm looking forward to Keys contract. Hopefully big bonuses.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here's a comment on the next HC for NT from the President.

I suppose he us saying that Littrell lacked "the vision, energy, commitment and organizational skills" to get them to a championship...although they were just in the Championship game. Weird.
College president speech. He is not being serious just bloviating for the benefit of fans.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Key hires A.J. Artis as strength and conditioning coach. Link:

I like the hire. Seems to have a lot of good experience. If Key likes him, that’s good enough for me.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer